Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"Dumb and Dumber"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "Dumb and Dumber"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.234.149) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 02:43 pm:

I remember when so many people on this site bellyached that the A's chose Geren over Ron Washington for manager. Well, while Wash was clearly a good coach, it didn't mean he could manage. And his lack of experience and/or ability is, according to the Arlington/Dallas press, likely to soon get Wash fired.

To date, Wash hasn't acted like an capable skipper/leader. He has criticized the Rangers' most popular player, Texiera, and the team's young catcher, Laird, in front of their teammates. And his won/loss record is even worse than the inept Buck Showalter--in fact Texas has a record approaching Kansas City in losses. Now that's really sad.

But as the Arlington paper pointed out, Wash hasn't had much intelligent input from his incompetent bench coach, Art Howe. A's fans are familiar with Howe's strategic flaws, as are Mets fans, who saw Howe manage $100 million payrolls to the bottom of the NL East.

In fact, Texas papers are calling the Wash and Howe show "Dumb and Dumber." Thank goodness Billy Beane was wise enough to realize Wash couldn't cut it as a manager. And thank goodness Beane gave Howe his walking papers release to leave Oakland for NY. The guy is a true numbskull.

On other matters, Rickey Henderson was interviewed on Marty Lurie on Sunday. Marty asked the Rickster who his favorite manager was and w/o hesitation, Ricky said: "Tony LaRussa was my favorite. He was the best prepared and the best motivator I ever had. That man knows the game!"

Give Ricky credit: of all the managers he played for, he astutely named the future HOF TLR as the best of 'em all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 03:31 pm:

I don't think calling Wash a bad manager -- much less a dumb one -- is a fair assessment. Texas's BEST pitcher has a mid-6 ERA. When your pitching sucks THAT bad, it's time to look at your GM and assistant GM and ask why you've been given the keys to a Hyundai instead of a Ferarri and you're still expected to win the race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.234.149) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 04:19 pm:

I'm just citing the Texas press, which is none too impressed with Wash. They say the Texiera and Laird incidents demonstrate that he can't manage 25 professional ball players well and that his strategic calls have been horrific. Well, knowing who the bench coach is, I can't blame Wash for his strategy. But you don't chastise professional atheletes, let alone the most respected player on the team, in front of their teammates.

Showalter, who deserves any criticism you wish to heap upon him, achieved more with even less than Washington has.

Wash was a great coach and is a good man. Too bad he didn't work as a manager in the minors to learn his trade, for it seems he is not up to the task. When he inevitably gets fired, I hope he returns to coach the A's. Meanwhile, while signing Geren instead of Wash, Billy Beane shows that once again, he knows best and the fans by now should have learned to acknowlege this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 05:57 pm:

A columnist for one of the other Texas' papers, mentioned a lot of this last week, saying that he believes both the manager and general manager will be and should be fired.

Also, the info he gave on the two players' incidents: Wash was heard to be screaming at Texiera in his office. According to the columnist no one puts in more work than Texiera and is also supposedly a very quiet man In the Laird incident, Wash allegedly screamed at him, while criticizing him before the entire team. Putting considerable blame on him for the pitching woes and I guess just his overall job. Millwood quickly jumped to Laird's defense.

Sure doesn't sound the like the Wash we knew. I'm not making excuses for him, but methinks the stark difference btw. the A's and Texas' system and play, has gotten to him. But it is sounding like he is not managerial material.

IMO, Bob Geren (yes, I've already eaten my crow) is doing an absolutely outstanding job in all facets of the game. Heck, Swisher thinks he should be on the radar for MOY. And he may not be wrong about that. All the players love him, too. Urban (whose writings I find hard to mention because I don't like the guy and I don't think he is a good writer) has an article today on A's MLB site on the players' praise of him. Worth the read.

Finally, perhaps Wash can come back as a coach. Seriously, I don't think that will be happen. More likely when his time in Texas (which has a worse record than the Royals and the worst in the majors, period)is through, he'll probably end up as a coach in some other team's system next year ... not named the Rangers, nor the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.246.19.13) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:13 pm:

The truth isn't pretty in Arlington: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/chat/stories/061507dnspochat.2052310.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.8.28) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:43 pm:

That Beane is a devious sort. Sending Wash to sabotage the Rangers was genious. :)

I can't believe that Wash is being portrayed properly in the media. Is he really getting a fair shake?

As far as Geren is concerned, I'm like DJ. I preferred Wash but BG is doing a tremendous job particularily in light of the ridiculous injury scene this season.

And regarding BB. I thnk this could be his best performance ever, bringing in the likes of Piaza (who is still going to prove invaluable IMO), SStewart, Lenny D, and Cust, CLew, even Snelling to prop up the Mash unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.178) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:51 pm:

The fact that Wash had no minor league managing experience is HUGE, IMO. The losses pile up, maybe Wash doesn't handle the stress very well and takes it out on his players.

I would love to have him back to coach the infielders. It's obvious to me that Crosby misses him A LOT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.178) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:58 pm:

RB, the Rangers can also thank the A's for Nelson Cruz and Gerald Laird!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.87.24) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:11 pm:

Is Rheinecker still there too, I know he was in their rotation last season.

Didn't Ludwick stay there for a season or two before he showed he wasn't a major leaguer?

I'm sad for Wash, the guy IMO still can be a good manager and I believe the A's wouldn't be all that different from where they are now if Wash was the manager but he couldn't succedd in TEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 (76.195.10.119) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:27 pm:

As big a Wash fan that I am, I do recall him critizing Ruby in the press two seasions ago. Stating that Ruby could be more than a DH if he worked more at his fielding. That staement occurred while Wash and the reporter were driving to the stadium in Wash's ride. Probaly did not think that comment would go down in print. John Rocker probably thought the same thing when he made his repugnant comments while cruising around with a reporter.

Critizing a player in the meadia is a bad idea and trust me that did not get past Beane. Wash should have learned how NOT to handle players from Cacha.

I would still love too see him return to the A's fold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.8.28) on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:49 pm:

Ey, you reminded me of how the A's have snookered the Rangers in the past.
it's a long list of stiffs the A's have sent packing to the Rangers: LH Mario Ramos, Jason Hart, Rayn Ludwick, and yes Gerald Laird in one trade. An over done Randy Velarde for Aaron Harang in another. Luis Vizcaino for Duke.

Didn't our current President own the Rangers at one time? Hmmmm...... :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.254.188) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 06:27 am:

Chavyfan AKA you know who...

he knows who he is so...just the rose again by another name but with the same thorns...

I wonder how long he'll stay civil before the D key...

sigh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 (216.133.102.110) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 06:31 am:

I like most everyone around here wanted Wash to be the manager this year but I have to say that I have been impressed with Geren. He seems to be the right man for the job and I like the fact that he does some things to mix it up and take some chances. Oakland has not had a manager like this in quite some time. Sometimes the obvious choice is not the right one but I think Beane did it again by picking Geren.

With that said I still think that Wash has been getting a raw deal in Texas. They absolutely stink. Their starters are brutal. I mean you know you are in some serious trouble when Kevin Millwood is your ace but when he is by far and away your ace with and ERA in the 6.00 range forget about it. There is no manager who could do much better there. When a team does not have talent, what can a mananger do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 07:18 am:

Oh, I think there may be a lot more behind this than what is reaching print. I, too, find it hard to believe Wash is suddenly such a culprit. And, of course, I would love him back as our coach. But as someone pointed out, if he is canned, he may also be too humiliated to return to the A's, or perhaps he will flat out not want to. Who knows what kind of relationship he and Billy had? Anyway, even though a rival team, I do feel badly for Wash. You can only run with the horses you're given, and it seems to me (except for maybe Gagne)they did not improve their horses this year; in fact lost more than they got back. Too bad for Wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.219) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 08:11 am:

Lil,
I suspected the same thing after reading chavyfans post, but did not want jump to any
conclusions based on rather benign postings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 08:15 am:

When you're a first time manager and have no idea who the players are and nevertheless berate them in front of the team.......that is ignorant, very ignorant, no matter who it is. Just got a new manager at my job I've been at for 10 years, when he tries to tell me to do something differnt, I think he's an idiot and go back to what I was doing before. It's the same thing here, Teixeira's been there for what 5-6 years already, his track record speaks for itself.....12-41-300+ is not bad, I wish Chavez was doing that, but to berate him in front of the team when he is a positive force....that's where you lose the company and lose any credibility.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:35 am:

Rocket, I'm certain CF won't be able to control
his civility for very long, even overdosing on whatever he takes for his rage attacks.
I'm betting on a couple of days max...and just wanted him to know I'm still around :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:23 am:

Lil and Rocket, same thought crossed my mind...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (68.238.69.119) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 09:36 pm:

Having more postings from Chavyfan, there is no
doubt, just can't mask ones true self for very long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 05:59 am:

I gave him two days to start his "lil barth book burnin sorebunnes etc...etc...

the clock is ticking and day one has passed'''
tic...tic...24h series...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.