Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Welcome Kurt Suzuki

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Welcome Kurt Suzuki

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.84.98) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 07:26 am:

Speaking of Powell, would the A's think about trading him, the guy is smoking hot these past few weeks and if he remais this hot heading into next month and Harden comes back and makes a couple of great starts, why not package both of them for a "above average" young bat. I don't know maybe somebody like Baldelli from TB who have a glut of OF. Think with his injury problems recently, his stock isnt that high.

Trade Harden to TB who could have a future roation of Harden, Kazmir, Price and Shields. Powell can be their C of the future or present really.

A's get a potential young stud RF bat who turns 26 this SEP. I know the injury problems again with an A player, but I still think Baldelli can be a all star type talent for a long time.

Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.219) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:00 pm:

Speaking of Baldelli, he re-injured himself while
on rehab in AAA

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/briefingroom?playerId=5352

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.200.141) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:18 pm:

That's shame, he's like Bradley although I think Baldelli stil has lot mnore upside. Remember when he first came up, whispers of the name DiMaggio came up.

Now that's a HUGE comparison but the guy has skills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.7) on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 06:29 am:

Speaking of Recker, an article from scout.com...

In Stockton, the best High-A players from across the country gathered in front of a sell-out crowd for what turned out to be an entertaining slug-fest. Stockton's star catcher Anthony Recker - who was promoted to Double-A Midland after the game - took part in the Home Run Derby, making it to the finals and hitting nine home runs total before he was edged out by Indians power-prospect Chris Gimenez. Recker followed that performance with a double and a walk in California's 10-5 victory.

...that's why maybe trading Powell soon when his stock is high is the smart move if this kid can develop over the next year or two...who knows maybe by that time, he could've surpassed Suzuki in the eyes of the A's brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.202.77) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

Suzuki with a two run HR.

Two HRs in 10 ABs, he's tied Kendall's career mark of 2 HRs with the A's in 2.5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.202.77) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

Suzuki with a two run HR.

Two HRs in 10 ABs, he's tied Kendall's career mark of 2 HRs with the A's in 2.5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.25.159) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 07:14 pm:

Two discussions of Suzuki on the radio today. On Marty's show, Shooty described KS as looking like a deer in the headlights. On the warm-up, Fosse talked to Ramon and he said he could see that Kurt was trying too hard, said he needs to relax. Which is easier said than done, of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:29 pm:

That's funny. I was thinking the exact same thing - that he looks like a deer in headlights! And I didn't hear Shooty say that. I like Shooty - he is brutally honest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:58 pm:

Over the weekend Fosse said Kurt has to learn the hitters, his pitchers, as well as opposing team pitchers, as well as MLB level skills, rather than rely on athletic ability to get by. I'll take anything I can get from him offensively, including the sac fly on Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:25 pm:

Kurt had a nice game tonite (7/23) with a couple of clutch knocks.

But it was his blocking of balls in the dirt that impressed me most as Gaudin was just Gaud awful and made young Mr. Suzuki earn his pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.212) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:29 am:

Speaking of another young C to look for in the next year or two maybe, Recker made it to #9 in the top Cs in the minors..

Too bad Powell who maybe done, got hurt, he would've been ranked in the top 6 or 7 at least had he stayed healthy.

9. Tony Recker, Athletics
Hitting: .319/.402/.609 at High-A (56 G); .167/.235/.231 at Double-A (23 G)

Recker is a late-bloomer and a bit of a sleeper, but his numbers at Stockton during the first half of the season really opened some people's eyes, and the scouting reports were also solid. Built like a linebacker, Recker has above-average power but is highly pull-conscious; he will rack up some big strikeout rates down the road. Hes basically not as good as he was in the Cal League, but much better than he showed in his first month of Texas League action. Hes raw as a receiver, but has the athleticism to get better, and his arm is at least average.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6467

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 09:11 am:

Suzuki is making progress before our very eyes, unlike a certain SS I could name...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:01 am:

Kudos to Suzuki for being a quick learner. Buckley worked with him shortly before Haren's game the other night, on blocking balls. He did a good job blocking those balls for both Haren and Gaudin. Now someone needs to work with him on framing pitches. Watching the Cubs game the other day, Brenly was commenting on how their pitcher was getting some very borderline calls. As he pointed out, that had a lot to do with Kendall, considered one of the best, if not the best at framing pitches. So far, Suzuki, has not done a good job at this, to be kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:55 am:

Good observations DJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:58 am:

So far Suzuki has 62 ABs thru his first full month of the bigs...funny Buck had about the same of ABs in April with 63.

Here's how their first 60+ ABs compare.

Buck...

-.190(12/63), 7 runs, 3 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 2 HRs, 10 RBIs, 13 BBs, 21 Ks, .750 OPS

Suzuki...

-.242(15/62), 12 runs, 2 2Bs, 0 3Bs, 2 HRs, 10 RBIs, 10 BBs, 11 Ks, .734 OPS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:37 am:

I was happy for the guy; he had a very good game last night. Ideally, you want to bring a rookie catcher along slowly, catching games here and there, starting with a full ST getting used to the staff, etc. Of course, Suzuki was thrown into the pit nearly right away, learning on the job, as they say. As indicated in his postgame interview last night, he is feeling more comfortable and so are the pitchers. I think he'll be fine and will only get better. He completely (already) has turned around his procedure for blocking balls and our pitchers do not seem nervous about throwing balls in the dirt. Also a good sign.

Also, after Kendall was dealt, Suzuki said his offense will probably suffer while he learns the ins and outs of his primary job, defense and working with the staff. Not to mention getting to know the league ... opposing hitters and pitchers. It's a lot to put on the plate of the 23 yr. old, but he seems up to it.

Also, you know the comments of the pitchers re him vs. Kendall, catching them, had to hurt, but he hasn't missed a beat nor the opportunity to learn the right way. I'm impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 09:21 am:

I feel the same way. Kurt is visibly more comfortable behind the plate and he's hitting, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.85.2) on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 03:08 am:

Any news on Suzuki and his hand? I know he replaced Bowen after Buck pinch hit for him in the 7th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.76.63) on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 08:10 am:

Just read on rotoworld that it's just a bruise.

Thank goodness, last thing we needed was Suzuki, one of our potential starters for next year to be out and miss out on these last two months of playing experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.36.22) on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:50 am:

He looked fine in the 7th and 8th yesterday. Tough kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.68.80) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:22 pm:

Since the 29th of last month, he's hitting .341(15/44), 10 runs, 5 2Bs, HR, 7 RBIs.

Starting to look a lot more comfortable at the plate hitting with him getting settled down more behind the plate.

I said it was necessary to get Suzuki a chance to play, now I didn't think the A's would trade Kendall when I said that right when Suzuki was called up but looks as it's the right move.

As of now, if Kendall had remained on the team, I doubt he'd be hitting as well as Suzuki has the past 2-3 weeks and the pitching I don't think would be a ton better

Great to see Suzuki developing these last 2-3 months as a fulltime starting C, it's really gonna pay off in the near future in 08 and 09.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 (66.127.52.249) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:02 pm:

Last season Beane said he commended the Marlin's GM for having the balls to blow up the team and start over.

Sending malcontent Milty away and Jason was Beane's mini version of what happened in FL. Kurt has poise behind the dish he will be alright I see him hitting 5th or 6th in the future at least by 09'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.70.92) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 04:12 pm:

Game winning 3 run HR by Suzuki!

A's win!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 04:17 pm:

Yea, Florida spent major money from 2003-05. After being competitive they went for it in 2003 and took it home, in 2005, they added Delgado and LoDuca, for one final shot at it(Beckett, Burnett, Gonzalez were all hitting their FA years, Lowell was making $$$) They wanted to milk this group one last time, they died at the end. They've really rebuilt fast when they got Ramirez and Uggla, 2 prospects who were MLB players. They collected pitchers left and right. They had a nice pair of their own in Olsen and Johnson to add to Willis. If those 3 + 2 others like a Sanchez, Mitre, can pan out, they might be able to compete for a playoff spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.156) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 05:53 pm:

Suzuki is fitting in quite nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.138) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:42 am:

Great front page picture of Suzuki in the C.C.Times sports page..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.252) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:23 pm:

Just comparing Suzuki to Hernandez thru their first 140 or so ABs.

Suzuki
-.265(39/147), 22 runs, 10 2Bs, 6 HRs, 26 RBIs, .780+ OPS in 147 ABs/49 games.

Hernandez
-.279(38/136), 13 runs, 7 2Bs, 3 HRs, 21 RBIs, .760 OPS in 136 ABs/40 games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.252) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:31 pm:

They both came up at the age of 23 and surprising that Suzuki has outhit Ramon pretty much especially since Ramon was more a hitting catcher in the minors while Suzuki wasn't seen that much of a hitter, more of a toolsy type C..probably a better defensive C and game caller too.

Really, Suzuki has hit better in the bigs this year than he did at AAA Sac, go figure.

Now I doubt Suzuki will develop into the hitter that Ramon is and was with the A's and later on with SD and BAL especially.

Course you'd love to average his #s this year to a full 150 games season and they'd be .260s with around 20 HRs and 80 RBIs..but I'd be happy with .250/15/60 for the next 5+ years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 08:52 pm:

I'll say one thing for Suzuki, he sure picks the right spots to hit one out. Today, Hannahan had 3 RBIs; Suzuki had 4 RBIs. Pretty good for the youngsters. They provided all but one of the runs between them. I hope Hannahan isn't a fluke, because the more I see him, the more I like him. He's very good defensively, but obviously he isn't ... or few others, if any ... Chavez around the bag. He'll never have Chavez' power, but so far he has shown excellent plate patience and seems to hit in the clutch. Two things Chavez does not excel at ... to be kind. But also, have to remember the two haven't even been around the league. It'll all come down to how well they adjust to pitchers' adjustments next season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.24) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:22 am:

Well Suzuki's nickname at CSUF was "Captain Clutch" and so far, he's has what, two huge hits in the past week with a game winning HR and now a game tying HR. It's so nice to have a C with some pop and not worrying about him not getting the baseball out of the IF.

Hannahan, yeah, I hope it isn't a fluke either. As of now, if it isn't and Hannahan can be even a max a .270/15-20/.800+ type bat...I'd take that, hell not much less than I think what Chavez would bring if he was healthy and you'd get almost the same production at 1/10 of the cost?

Even if Chavez were healthy, what .270/25/90/.850+ type bat. His career has at least leveled off, maybe even declining with the bat especially, course there is the health concern too.

Sure they'll get a book on each if they're starters next season but they're young enough to still be looked upon as long term potential starters.

Suzuki will turn 24 in early OCT and Hannahan will turn 28 next March...Chavez will be 30 later this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.24) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:48 am:

Remember too, Hannahan was one of the top hitting prospects at AAA this year before the trade. Yes he was doing it at an advanced age of 27 but his career hit a snag for a few years because of some issues so he doesn't have a lot of wear on him body. I mean look at Cust, he'll 29 heading into next season.

Also, correction in my last post, I'd love to see Hannahan max out at around .270/15-20/80/.800.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:22 pm:

What kind of "issues" accounted for his career hitting "a snag"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.39.89) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 01:54 pm:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/17/SPB7RJ9EU.DTL&hw=Jack+Hannahan&sn=031&sc=784

Sad story with a happy ending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 05:41 pm:

So he didn't miss any minor league time, guess I got confused.

Still he'll be 28 when next season starts...be tough for him if he does continue to hit well and the A's throw out the same IF we see this year especially early on out there with Chavez-Crosby-Ellis-Swisher.

Hannahan has played 2B before, and if the A's don't wanna pay the 5 million option for him next year, could see Hannahan being moved there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 09:11 pm:

Hey Eyleenn - I posted a thanks for the story but I guess I never sent it. I said that I guess I had heard that but forgotten it because he seems like such a fresh-faced nice guy. It is a nice story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 09:24 pm:

3 BBs for Hannahan tonight...so even when he doesn't get a hit as he didn't two days ago on SAT, he still gets on base as he did have 2 BBs that game too while going 0-2.

He's played in 20 games so far, he's hit in 16 of them and has reached base at least in 19 of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.80.175) on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:22 pm:

Correction, Suzuki's nickname in college was "Kurt Klutch".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 02:06 pm:

In today's box score on MLB it has Kendall's batting average at .243. That fell fast. Also, I heard that he has thrown out just ONE of 49 attempted base stealers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 03:28 pm:

From the MLB.com site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/player_locator_results.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerLocator=Kendall

Cubs 2007: 38 games 45 SB, 4 CS (8%)
A's 2007: 80 games 59 SB, 15 CS (25%)

Cubs BA: .288
A's BA: .226

The math is mine, so it may be wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 04:02 pm:

NL Central turning into a battle. Cards 2 out, 3 way dog fight. Cubs lose, Cards winning. Could be down to one between 3 teams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.85) on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 02:42 pm:

Does Kurt Suzuki remind anyone of Miguel Tejada as far as his swing and stance. i could be wrong, but thats what I see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.87.133) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 09:38 am:

I don't know about Tejada but power wise, I said it before the season when I saw him jack a HR off the LF second deck in the exhibition..very few HRs have been hit that far at the coliseum, that he maybe has the most raw power out of any A's prospect which some A's fans will counter with that's not saying much, but as of now, looks like it because when he hits a HR, not one of the 7 are cheapies, they are no doubt abouters.

His 7 HRs ties fellow rookie Buck but he did it in 114 less ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:29 am:

He has that upper cut swing that Tejada has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 05:47 pm:

He does seem to have surprising power. But he's still raw and too early to compare him to Tejada. Doesn't have Miggy's bat speed and Miggy did not strike out much. Only Hatteberg k'd less them him, year in, year out. I notice that Suzuki likes that high hard pitch. He either swings and misses it, or hits a ton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.200.244) on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:25 am:

Suzuki definitely looks as he could be at least a solid starting C, but if I'm betting, don't think he'll ever be a star.

Some compared him to a LaDoca and I'd take that from Suzuki for the next 6-7 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:58 pm:

For a 7-8-9 guy he will be solid.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.