Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Let's Give a Warm Welcome to TLR, Future HOFer

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Let's Give a Warm Welcome to TLR, Future HOFer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.210.130) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 06:41 am:

Tonight the finest manager of the modern era, Tony LaRussa returns to his home turf and the stadium where he won three pennants and several division championships. Last year, he led the Cards to the World Championship and is certain to be guaranteed entrance to the Hall of Fame.

He is by far the most brilliant manager I have ever enjoyed watching, getting the most out of his players and employing the strategy that regularly brings his teams to the post season.

As I noted in a previous thread, Rickey Henderson was interviewed on Marty Lurie on Sunday. Marty asked the Rickster who his favorite manager was and w/o hesitation, Ricky said: "Tony LaRussa was my favorite. He was the best prepared and the best motivator I ever had. That man knows the game!"

Give Ricky credit: of all the managers he played for, he astutely named the future HOF TLR as the best of 'em all! Only idiots/baseball "no nothings" would opine otherwise.

Welcome home, Tony!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:53 am:

I'm sure Tony, like his pet player, will not want to talk about the past.

Rickey must have been in one of his mentally unavailable days when he said that...I sure laughed at that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.210.130) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:05 am:

Lil, Tony's baseball past makes him the winningest manager in MLB.

Here's a quote in today's Chron by Bob Geren:
"Geren called La Russa after getting hired this winter and met with the Card's manager more than once.

"'Tony was very helpful to me when I got the job, he gave me some of his time,' Geren said. 'Obviously, he's a great manager and a fine man. I sought him out and asked for his advice and I'm extremely grateful to him. I felt like to be able to talk baseball with one of the greatest managers ever is something you can't put a value on.'"

And of course, Billy Beane has often said TLR was the best manager in the game. Three aces are in accord on La Russa's greatness: Rickey, Geren, and Beane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 (69.178.41.213) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:15 pm:

Nobody in baseball could lose the world series with the best team better the TLR.

My god he has had more talent than any other manager other then Torre in recent history.

But I'm a "no nothing" idiot LOL

Baseball people love to blow eachother in the media.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.210.130) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 01:24 pm:

Remember, TLR won last season's world championship with a team suffering from major injuries. They beat a hot Detriot team, thanks to some terrific managerial motivation and management.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 03:40 pm:

Tony would be the first to credit Dave Duncan, Dave McKay, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and the rest of his Coaching Staff for the thrills and successes of last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.210.130) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 04:43 pm:

You are right, reno. TLR is not an egotist like Billy Martin, Durocher, Showalter, et al who never give credit to those who assist his brilliant management of his perennial winning teams. Tony has always given credit where it is due--a reason he is so popular and a sure future member of the HOF.

And remember, Rickey Henderson, a great player yet one of the most self-centered players of his era, reveres Tony's managerial skills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By muddlehead (76.21.30.156) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 05:14 pm:

f la russa. losing to la in '88 and cin in '90 2 of the biggest upsets in baseball history. for us to have lost both of those so meekly to pathetic teams - and the manager walks away unscathed...an absolute joke for him to be in a hof discussion for any reason other than all his wins with big money, talented teams (i guess lf139 and me on same page here). i was down on his act before i read in si he has an estranged wife and 2 daughters from a first marriage. way to go tony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.210.130) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 05:30 pm:

muddle, if we stick to baseball (which, after all, is the topic of this site--although I must say, I hardly believe TLR is the only divorced prominent sports figure in a country sporting a 50% divorce rate), the bottom line is that La Russa is the winningest manager currently working in MLB. That didn't happen simply by accident or because he has always had good players. After all, people like Art Howe have sported teams with $100 mil payrolls and finished in the bottom of their divisions. Not so, TLR, who is a real winner.

In fact, neither Howe nor Macha took the A's as far as Tony did. And last year, La Russa won against all odds. Again, that was hardly an accident.

Again, Rickey Henderson may be self-centered but he certainly played for many well known managers. And Rickey rates TLR as far and away the best.

And if you insist on discussing his off the field activities, why not mention that TLR founded and significantly funded ARF, the Animal Rescue Fund, for which he has received the accolades of animal lovers world-wide for saving healthy, loving dogs and cats from euthanasia? We can conclude that he has a vibrant life outside of baseball, has supported the arts (he and Bill King were local ballet aficionados), and been pivotal in the animal rights movement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.22.20) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:40 pm:

For being the guy who made an art form of the pitching change, Tony has been reluctant to pull his pitchers tonight -- much to the benefit of the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (24.5.81.129) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:57 pm:

Explain to me why TLR gets no love?
Was it really his fault the Bash Bros bats went completely silent in two World Series.

Was it his fault that a cripple leaned on a Hall of Famer's slder and knocked it out?

Was it TLR's fault that Hersheiser out hit the A's in game two in 88?

Was it TLR's fault that Canseco decided to not chase down balls hit in the gap in the 90 series?

Was it TLR's fault that Mickey Hatcher went nuts?

Was it TLR's fault that Stew got lit up in game 1 in 90?

Was it TLR's fault there was an Earthquake in 89?
What about the fires?
Flood?

Lets execute him now.

Weak shit critisising this guy. I guess those teams would have won those series had Steve Boros or Jackie Moore been managing them. And what the hell is he supposed to say about McGuire? They had a long term relationship. Was he supposed to throw him to the wolves just to grandstand for the media and lose the respect of every player past and present.

I guess he should have just retired after the 88 series because he so clearly had no business staying in the game and doing all losing that he's done over the course of the last two decades. You guys are right. TLR sucks. The animal rescue thing is probably phony. I bet TLR secretly hates animals and gladly bites into a steak when the camera aren't rolling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.210.130) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:32 am:

Well put and truly funny rtd.

Among numerous others, HOFamer Sparky Anderson, Billy Beane, Bob Geren, and future HOF'er Rickey Henderson believe TLR is the best manager in MLB. That's some might astute baseball men who exalt Tony's career as a superlative skipper.

In fact, I have never heard of any prominent baseball man who doesn't feel this way about TLR and it would take someone clueless about the game to opine otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.211.20) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 08:31 am:

TLR's record speaks for itself and is indisputable:
Tony has managed 3 different teams to 11 first-place finishes, five AL/NL pennants and two World Series wins (and more than 2,300 reg. season wins).

That's a fabulous record and is why Cooperstown is waiting. TLR is far and away the best manager of the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 09:59 am:

That's a fabulous record and is why Cooperstown is waiting. TLR is far and away the best manager of the era.

surely you speak of the "steroid" era of baseball...
TLR belongs in the Hall of Fame?... or Hall of Shame along with his argonaut cephalopods Mark and Jose, others i.e. Giambi, Velardi and others we don't even know about.

Unbelievable how TLR had to swallow hard and accept a pitcher to cheat like "the gambler" did right in front of the cameras. Why? Because he knew and even stated "cheating" is part of baseball.

Yes, TLR is just as much a cheater and his winning record is just as tainted as McGwire's, Canseco's, Giambi's and Bonds.

They all belong in the Hall of Shame, with TLR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.211.20) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 10:31 am:

By the above criteria, every manager in the modern era should enter the Hall of Shame, as they would have to be blind, deaf and dumb to not know steroid use was widespread.

By Lil's yardstick of "logic," all managers (not just TLR), coaches, and players of the past two decades are therefore cheaters, or at least complicit in that they knew what was going on throughout the sport. What nonesense!

Nice guy Art Howe managed McGwire. Surely, he also know Big Mac was juicing. Should Howe, too, enter the Hall of Shame?

Come on, Lil. Your personal distain for TLR--whatever that stems from (did he fail to acknowledge your eminent presence at the Coli)--has blinded you to La Russa's magnificent achievements. Just ask Rickey, who recently celebrated his "favorite" manager on the Marty Lurie pregame show. Are you calling the great Rickey wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (24.5.81.129) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:36 pm:

When exactly did the steroid era begin? Has it ended? Jose missed half of the 89 season and I don't believe McGwire had begun to juice yet. Is that worth anything? Should we discount the efforts if all the other fabulous players of that era that didn't juice. I will hold in my heart dear what Gallego, Steiny, Carney, Rickey, Hendu, Stew and so many others of that era did for the Oakland A's. I don't know who did what, but theres a good chance none of those guys ever juiced. I just don't see how all their hard work should be wiped from history because they played with or managed a guy that juiced. McCarthyism anyone. I can understand how someone can blame an individual for his behavior. But blaming TLR for the era in which he managed is absurd. If thats the case guys like Weaver, Anderson, Alston etc should hang their heads because they managed in the Greenie or Coke era. Dave Parker, Keith Hernandez and Vida Blue's championship teams of that era should be totaly discounted because of their actions. I think not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:44 pm:

No, even though you think I have a disdain for TRL, I'm not alone in thinking all GMs, Trainers, Doctors and Field Managers of the last 20 years knew, ignored and turned the other way, to say the least, to the widespread use of steroids and other performance enhancers. Some of these were complicit and will go impune "for the good of game".

Giambi recently candidly gave a statement that "MLB was wrong in allowing the stuff" (not exactly his words but the meaning was there). Selig is now trying to do a quick damage control.

Oh...and you think you know of my disdains? I know your comtempt for Rickey so please stop bringing him into this issue.

Rickey may have said whatever he said to Marty(maybe after all these years he has finally learned to say the right things, and some diplomacy).

Rickey's great motivator and best manager was Tom Trebelhorn Billy Martin. He drove TLR nuts and they never got along. Tony was lucky to have Rickey on his teams and should have shown him the respect he deserved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:52 pm:

rtd, don't confuse greenies and coke with the performance enhacers the athletes started to use in the early 80's.

greenies, alcohol and coke have a very short lived effect and actually have a negative effect after a few hours...the steroids changed the player's physiology and had long term effect during months on a total different level of performance

But, "for the good of baseball" and to keep the fans in eternal la-la land of fantasy...let anybody believe what they want to believe.

I'm just saying what I feel about the steroid issue and it has nothing to do with personal vendetas or dislikes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.211.20) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:54 pm:

Lil, Rickey has the status to say whatever he truly feels. He doesn't need to be "diplomatic." And Rickey said w/o equivocation that TLR was the best motivator and the best prepared of any manager he ever played for. Rickey made nary a mention of Trebelhorn or BM. To conclude, Rickey plainly stated that LaRussa was the best skipper for whom he played. Period.

So Lil, you disagree with Rickey and virtually all of the respected baseball world on TLR. In a land of freedom of speech, that is your perogative, isn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.27.177) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 01:14 pm:

"Come on, Lil. Your personal distain for TLR--whatever that stems from (did he fail to acknowledge your eminent presence at the Coli)--has blinded you to La Russa's magnificent achievements."

Dead giveaway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 03:14 pm:

"Respected baseball world"? The baseball world is controlled by men with zero credibility and character.

These men have disrespected this game so much and for so long that I have nothing but comtempt left for them.

Ey, it took you this long?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 03:31 pm:

It took a long time, huh? (Pause for cheers). First of all, I would like to thank God for giving me the opportunity. I want to thank the Haas family, the Oakland organization, the city of Oakland, and all you beautiful fans for supporting me. (Pauses for cheers). Most of all, I'd like to thank my mom, my friends, and loved ones for their support. I want to give my appreciation to Tom Trebelhorn and the late Billy Martin. Billy Martin was a great manager. He was a great friend to me. I love you, Billy. I wish you were here. (Pauses for cheers). Lou Brock was the symbol of great base stealing. But today, I'm the greatest of all time. Thank you.
óRickey Henderson's full speech after breaking Lou Brock's record. 1991

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.209.55) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:06 pm:

You forgot to note that Rickey started off by saying with his usual humility, "Now I am the greatest." So Lil, I give you credit for creative editing.

And while Lou Brock had been watching daily to see his stolen base mark broken, Rickey expressed not a word of appreciation to the great Lou.

Finally, asked directly last Sunday to name the greatest manager for whom he played, the Rickster unhestatingly said, "Tony La Russa." And then Rickey went on to praise Tony for his ability as a motivator, his impeccable preperation, and his strategic skills. Trebelhorn and Martin went with nary a mention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.209.55) on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:12 pm:

Just as a coda, perhaps you might explain, Lil: you give your money to the men who run the game for whom you have such disrespect (you indicated this included the past two decades of owners, managers, coaches, and GMs whom you allege are complicit as "cheaters.") Why give your funds and attention to men you distain and a game you clearly have come to hold in contempt? Surely, you must have something better to do with your time, rather than focusing upon a game which leaves you in such anger and misery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 05:54 am:

First of all, I did not edit Rickey's speech. I posted his entire speech, including the pauses for cheers. And he did shake Brock's hand at the ceremony and thanked him for being there. The quote from his speech was not what you say but this:

Lou Brock was the symbol of great base stealing. But today, I'm the greatest of all time.

As for my disdain for the corrupt and conniving custodians of the game I paid to watch...the burden to be honest and credible is on them. I'm a very angry and disappointed customer/fan who have all the right in the world to complain about the fiasco of their guardianship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.211.213) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:21 am:

I was at the game when Rickey broke the record. Standing at third base, he was given a microphone and said, "Now I am the greatest." Not a word was said in appreciation to Lou Brock.

As the great Casey Stengel said, "You could look it up."

Re: Lil's paying good money to people she detests and a game she calls "corrupt," isn't this is the very definition of hypocritical? Or masochistic? And it's not just the owners she loathes, it's Billy Beane and by extension, the very team he assembled.

Yep, hypocrisy is truly the word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (71.65.42.164) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:36 am:

Chavy.....

I too was there. When Rickey mentioned Brock as a symbol of great base-stealing, that was his way of acknowledging him.

Remember, this is a guy who, in most cases, spoke about himself in the third person. Rickey was a GREAT ball player, but he was NEVER considered to be the smartest "tool in the tool-shed."

So Lil's qoute of Rickey that day was/is accurate. And as you said, "Yu could look it up!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:38 am:

Dan Spitzer,

There are many people here lurking who were at that game too, and know exactly what Rickey said when he took the microphone. I posted a non-edited speech and there is nothing you can say or do that can change that.

Rickey thanked God, his mom,his fans, the Haas family, and mentioned Trebelhorn and Billy Martin. At the end of his speech, he shook handsa with Lou Brock, the Japanese player stolen base record holder and ran towards Murphy giving him a kiss on his forehead (in appreciation for being the A's number two hitter who sacrificed his averages to help Rickey steal).

Dan Spitzer, you know nothing about me or the people I like, love or loathe. Get a hold of yourself and live and let live. Calm down and go take your sedation so you can continue posting here. Otherwise you know where you are heading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavyfan (69.232.211.213) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 09:32 am:

How can anyone who boasts about burning her professors' books claim accuracy about anything? Or who is so censorious on this site (as she will so prove, once again, in response to posters with whom she has disagreements). BTW, who also burned books? Fascists and Stalinists. But most of them didn't boast about it.

What I said about Rickey's commentary as he was given the mic immediately following his breaking of the record, is the truth, pure and simple.

Lil, you won't know the truth if it smacked you on your formidable posterior. 'Course, it must have scorched said posterior when Rickey stated that TLR was the greatest manager with whom he played! Doubtless, you will deny this reality, too, but there it was over the air for all A's fans to hear.

Indeed, Rickey's commentary made me laugh and led me to ask your opinion of your favorite player's opinion. ;-)>

Meanwhile, many of you will recognize me happily posting on other sites via other screen names. And if Swill shuts me off here, I guarantee that I will return to call the hypocrisy and ignorance on this site for what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.249.157) on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:31 am:

Dan,

You try to impress people with good grammar and fancy words but you are such a moron that it borders on hilarious. You have no idea how ridiculous you are.

Anybody who confuses or tries to link the extremely socialistic student movement of the late sixties in Paris with fascism shows to be an ignorant baffoon.

No, it is useless to delete your multiple usernames since you yourself can't stay away from us here. Other sites have banned you and you usually don't last anywhere you post for more than one day.

Very simple, I'll just delete your posts when you
regorgitate your garbage. I'll wipe it clean and move on.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.