Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

shannon stewart

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: shannon stewart
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (65.206.227.27) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:05 pm:

is he injured? i know buck is playing pretty well, and swisher is in the OF a lot these days, and Braldye might be coming back soon (for how long... who knows!!?!) - but how come he's not playing more? I love what's he's done for us so far this year.

also have to say this is the deepest outfield (when healthy) we have had in YEARS!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 01:40 pm:

Injured foot reported on 6/17....doing better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.186) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:42 pm:

His right foot is hurting, the same foot that caused him a ton of trouble over the years. He got a cortozine shot a few days ago and nothing positive after that.

The guy has exceeded expectations in terms of playing time, he played in all but 2 or 3 games before this stretch of not playing.

Said if he could give you 120-130 games when he signed, I'd take it, looks like that's what he might give the team this season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.219) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:56 am:

The same foot injury is not a good sign. I am now
pessimistic about the A's injuries, as they always seem to end up being more serious than
the ballclub initially provide information about a player missing a few games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:14 pm:

Milton was reactivated today. How long until his 4th stint on the DL? I cringe every time he runs the bases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.219) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:33 pm:

Nice to see Stewart back in the line-up. Hope his
foot can hold up for the rest of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 04:03 pm:

Did anyone hear what happened to Chavez near the end of the game? Why did Marco go in for him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.11.176) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 09:16 pm:

Answered my own question. He reaggravated the rib cage injury.

How ironic is it that the A's rallied against none other than Marcus McBeth??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.105) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:11 pm:

Well I'm posting here cause I don't want to make another thread...so....

Stewart claimed off waivers by ChiCubs. With Soriano out for maybe a month, makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.105) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:55 pm:

You'd think the A's would get something solid, Stewart at worst would've given this team a pick in next year's draft and most thought Beane would have to get at least something equal to that so hopefully it's a solid prospect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:07 pm:

Chances are it will have to be a, no higher than AA ball, prospect as anyone on the Cubs 40-man roster will need to clear waivers.

Wouldn't mind seeing the A's keep SS, he appears to be a real pro on and off the field. We could use a few of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.29.82.168) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:10 pm:

Does this mean he's actually gone? Or do they pull him back and THEN trade him?

Also, what's the word on Piazza?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.105) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:16 pm:

Starting from today at noon, the two teams will have 48 hours to make a trade, A's keep Stewart, it just lets the Cubs have him.

First two options are a hell of a lot likely to happen then the third.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:13 am:

No word on Piazza. If he is selected, I suspect it would be by the Twins, as they are now in the thick of the central race and looking for a right handed bat. Word is they are definitely interested, but they are also aware he has a gentleman's agreement with Beane re his desire to only go to an east or west coast team. Whether he would agree to go to MN., is very questionable. The Angels could also pick him up with little cost, I guess. But if the Twins select him off waivers and a deal can't be struck, he will be with the A's the remainder of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:22 am:

Re: Stewart, I read somewhere that it's possible he may not net us a pick in the draft because it's based on the last 2 years and because SS was injured a lot in 2006, that may hurt his chances. That could be the determining factor.

IF we can't get a pick for SS, might as well trade him for whatever you can get now. Don't get me wrong, I like Stewart and I lobbied for his signing in the offseason. But if we can't get anything for him, why not reward him with a pennant race - he's done so well for us this year and has been a great player for this team - stand up dude. Hate to see him rot in Oakland's cellar for the remainder of the year.

I would guess if he's traded, it'll be for a prospect who doesn't have to clear waivers and a "PTBNL" who then could be someone a bit better that we can get in the offseason.

It really all depends on if SS can bring us back a pick or not. Not sure how we find that out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.132) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:02 am:

Well Thomas netted us a pick and he missed a lot of 05, played in only 34 games. Stewart in 06 played in 44 games. So Stewart if you just count in games played, appeared in more in his previous season in OAK, than Thomas did.

Now production wise, I mean Thomas' # are better because he's a better offensive player even in those limited games in 05 than what Stewart did in 06 with MIN.

Thomas(05)-.219/12/26/.905 in 105 ABs.
Stewart(06)-.293/2/21/.715 in 174 ABs.

Both are/were having bounceback seasons with the A's, of course Thomas went to have a HUGE MVP caliber season but Stewart is having a season that does remind you of what he did back in his days with TOR and MIN, since April, he's hitting well over .300.

Still you'd think the kind of season Stewart is having, he'd net you at least one pick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:09 am:

I'd like to keep him, not only because he's a solid player, but also to avoid further discussion of the A's losing another A-A player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.132) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:17 am:

Stewart since correction, MAY, he's hitting...

-.320, 41 runs, 12 2Bs, 7 HRs, 28 RBIs in 294 ABs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:22 am:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2006-10-31-elias-rankings.htm

Based on 2 years(05-06). Stewart was at 45% Type C a year ago. This included his 05 campaign, 10-56-7 steals and a 274 BA in 132 games. Right now he's at 9-35-10 steals, 298 BA in 102 games. 47 games left. Looks like he'll exceed the hrs and exceeded steals and BA already. Don't know if that will bump him into the top 50%, but he has done better than 2005 and should finish with better numbers. He's on the border

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:58 am:

Piazza already cleared waivers, no one claimed him. He's free to be traded to anyone. I think the salary left scared Minny off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.132) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:48 pm:

Stewart deal couldn't get done according to Olney on ESPN, so I guess Stewart stays the remainder of this season and hope we get a pick next year in the draft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:49 pm:

Thanks for the update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:47 pm:

Evidently, according to a Chicago columnist, several teams claimed Stewart. I guess (I'm assuming) the claim was awarded to the Cubs and they felt the A's were asking for too much in return. So, I guess that means that they can't try to work a deal with any of the other teams and this means his name has to be removed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.78) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:50 pm:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/08/working-the-wir.html

Originally posted: August 9, 2007
Working the wires

By Paul Sullivan, 1:40 p.m.

... Stewart told the San Francisco Chronicle Wednesday night that hed heard the Cubs had claimed him, though sources indicate the Cubs are just one team that has put in a claim for the veteran outfielder.

The Cubs should know by this weekend whether or not their claim went through. Only the team that gets the claim is informed of it, meaning if another team with a worse record than the Cubs claims Stewart and doesnt trade for him, hes pulled off waivers and the Cubs and any other team that put in a claim will never know which teams tried to get him.

... But its too soon to say something is going to happen with Stewart, or anyone else for that matter. Stay tuned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 08:44 am:

I don't understand how this works. What is to prevent a team with a bad record from claiming someone with no real intention of negotiating for a trade? It sounds like a team can do that just to prevent other teams from getting a shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 09:13 am:

"What is to prevent a team with a bad record from claiming someone with no real intention of negotiating for a trade?"

There is always the potential that the waiving team could say "OK, he's yours!", without attempting to negotiate a trade. If that were to occur the claiming team would also be responsible for the salary of a player that they didn't really want. That possibility is normally enough to keep teams honest.

**Did I just use the word honest in a sentence referring to MLB? What's wrong with me?**

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 09:39 am:

...That's why Piazza cleared so fast. He has the pro rated balance of 8 million left for this season and most teams out of it, did not go after him for fear of being stuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:06 pm:

And several years ago the Yankees claimed Canseco in order to block him from going to the Red Sox, and exactly what Jerry alluded to happened, the Yankees had to take and pay the remaining salary of a guy they didn't even want. But, hey, they could certainly afford it. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:21 pm:

OK - I get it. Thanks to both of you for the clarification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:56 am:

And speaking of the Red Sox. Think they're hearing Yankee footsteps? And Phil Hughes pitched an excellent game for them last night, while Gagne imploded for the Red Sox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 07:52 pm:

Well after 3 straight months of an .300+ AVG from May-July..Stewart hit .210 and his OPB dropped from the high .300s to .282. Now he did have 8 extra base hits, a career high this season in a month but to me looks like he really slowed down with the bat.

Do you really want to bring him back next year? To me, this kind of season is what I think you'll get from him at best and that's not counting he can stay healthy as he has this year in future seasons. His defense/arm has dramatically been declining over the years and what we saw from him ths season, really hasn't showed that it's stopped.

IMO the OF looks pretty stacked next year even though I'm not a fan of the depth.

LF-Buck, Denorfia
CF-Kotsay(if he isn't traded), Snelling
RF-Cust and or Barton

That's not including a FA signee or a trade.

I say let Stewart, hope you get a pick for him next year in the draft and just part ways after a solid season from him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.105) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 08:01 pm:

Stewart has seemed tired to me recently. If Buck were still around, he would have gotten more days off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.105) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 08:31 pm:

So what does he do? He hits a HR! And then a 2-run blast from Piazza. No doubt it's too little, too late, but it's nice not to be shut out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 08:37 pm:

Yeah, Piazza just kills Angel pitcher at thier place. Nice to see the A's at least making an attempt of a comeback.

I know there's speculation that the A's may get a pick for Stewart next year in the draft, would they get a pick too for Piazza if he signs elsewhere in the offseason?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 09:04 am:

I completely agree, eyleenn. I was thinking the very same thing about Stewart, last night. These are the most games he has played in two years. I think he has worn down. Most of the season even when he would make out, nearly every ball he hit was hit hard, he's doing his best, but I think he has hit a wall, in spite of his HR last night. I wonder why they don't give Dee Brown some starts.

Dee Brown. Geez, the couple times they have had him up, he's been no more than a late inning replacement. I thought he had some pop in his bat, but maybe I'm wrong? But it seems they could put him in Stewart's stead once in awhile, anyway. Strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.249) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 03:02 am:

Again, from Urban's mailbag...he doesn't think the A's would resign Stewart who with his bounceback year may have outpriced himself.

How much would Stewart actaully be paid this offseason from another team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:55 am:

This may have been mentioned on another thread, but from Slusser's article the other day, Beane tried desperately to sign him for more than one year or at least an option year, if I'm recalling Susan's article, correctly. He would still like to re-sign him, but thinks after Stewart's excellent season, he'll be too expensive for the A's. So, what else is new, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.87.133) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:40 am:

Well Stewart is made me eat my words as he's hitting .362 in SEP.

Although I still think the better choice would be to let Stewart walk and get a pick for him like they did with Thomas last offseason.

Does anybody think Stewart can not only produce as he has this year hitting over .300 so far in May-July and now in SEP and also play the 130+ games he's has the next two years, anybody think Stewart wants a one year deal after the season he's had, think he'd want at least two.

Stewart isn't in the long term plans for the A's and healtwise, is a huge risk ala Thomas and don't want to see another Kotsay scenerio where we give a two year deal or more to a player who had injury histories but after a good year in the case of Stewart or two in the case of Kotsay, we get screwed after he signs and deal and gets injured.

Look at what the A's got back for Thomas with the pick, C.Brown with the 59th overall pick I believe. C.Brown could be a top 6-8 prospect heading into next year in the A's org and did very well in lower A Van hitting .268/11/48/.379/.545 and in his 10 games he hit .343 with 11 RBIs. C.Brown is one of the better "tools" players in the A's system even though he was just drafted this past summer and could be up here by mid to late 09.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:58 am:

Signing Stewart long term 2-3 years at what 5-6 million per is a risk given his history. He's playing himself right into getting us a pick recently. Plus given our stock of OF on the cusp...AKA AAAA OFs of Denorfia, Snelling, now Kevin Thompson. Add that to the mix, of Swish, Kotsay, Buck and Cust, signing Stewart isn't on the top of the list of things to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.87.133) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:23 am:

Also assuming the A's get a pick for Stewart that Beane doesn't do what he did with the Zito pick which was draft Doolittle and insted draft a high ceiling type player in C.Brown and or Desme with the two picks afterwards

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.