Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Milton designated for assignment.......

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Milton designated for assignment.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (68.55.128.230) on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 08:06 pm:

The OF next year will be:

Swisher, Kotsay, Buck, Denorfia, Snelling

Unless there is a serious trade that happens, this is it. Denorfia can back up CF. If kots is healthy, Denorfia/Snelling split time and rotate with Buck.

That's it folks, nothing to see here.

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.8.28) on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:41 pm:

I think the A's like Shannon Stewart and figure they can resign him on the cheap.

My predicted OF for next season is:

Stewart, Kots, Buck
Denorfia and Snelling back up

Swish moves to lb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.243.51.221) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 08:46 am:

We won't get to see this anymore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OodW__gsp2E

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:11 am:

Yeah, that was pretty cool. I will miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:18 am:

Just listened to the clips of Beane's conference call from yesterday afternoon. He stated several times that it was a playing time issue and he knew Milton wouldn't be happy, yada, yada, yada.

He almost protested too much. Makes me think there's more to the story...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.79.197) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:01 am:

http://media.knbr.com/knbr/0622slusser.mp3

Slusser on the KNBR morning show discussing about the Bradley situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:35 pm:

Gary Peterson's take (CC Times):

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_6202575

He also thinks there's more than meets the eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer (71.139.195.138) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:42 pm:

me thinks there's more to this. barton's ready for the bigs. put him at 1B, then package Johnson, Bradley, perhaps (sadly) harden and beef up the rotation (dinardo and kennedy are gonna blow up soon) or get a big RH stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:47 pm:

Just listened to the Slusser interview above. She doesn't think the other players were "shocked". They understand it was a business decision and they trust Billy do what's best for the team.

When asked if there was any "heat" on the training staff for all the injuries, her phone flaked out just as she was starting to answer. Coincidence???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 (69.178.41.213) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 01:21 pm:

He never said hi to us in the outfield bleachers. So piss off Milt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 01:26 pm:

Hahaha, I caught that too....Mr. Davis must have been listening in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 02:37 pm:

An interesting theory, posted on the A's Drumbeat, quoting someone at AN:

"Been reading the theories, one I like best is iceplant's on AN: Bradley was saying he was fine for several days, mad that he wasn't reactivated sooner. He comes back Wednesday, and everyone sees that he's still hurt in his last at-bat (since it wasn't on TV, I don't know this is true). Beane calls him on it in the clubhouse. Bradley reacts to being called a liar (that's the disturbance that's reported). Beane realizes he can no longer trade Bradley without hurting his reputation (because BB knows he's still injured) and that he can't trust him to tell the truth about his injury status, so he DFA's him. Now we see if San Diego or anyone else wants him."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 03:01 pm:

And the last guy this team needs to deal for is Rocco Baldelli. Heck, he's injured more than Bradley. I see they just placed him on the 60 day DL today. As an added bonus, they also removed Elijah Dukes from their roster, sending him to the minors, but he is on some sort of personal leave ... indefinitely, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 03:06 pm:

Again from the Drumbeat, someone over there claims to have an "inside" source who said that Bradley and Geren almost came to blows on Monday night. If that's true, clearly there is no way in hell Billy would put up with that.

A couple of people who were at Wednesday's game also noted that Milton could barely run, i.e., maybe he IS still injured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.8.28) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:06 pm:

Just heard Larry Davis was named trainer for the AL in the All Star Game this year.

Congrats to Larry. The honor must be determined by disabled list entries. I'm sure he will give all credit to his teammates on this one as he is supposed to be a humble guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.68) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:24 pm:

A's trade Braley to KC for Leo Nunez.

Young, 23 years old, bullpen arm to put in AAA and possibly with Duke and Calero not here next year, could play a role in the pen next season and beyond.

Damn, Bradley going to be a Royal, don't think he's all that thrilled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.38.224) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 07:50 pm:

Wow, is that an insult to Milton?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.38.224) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 08:03 pm:

From the Drumbeat, by Susan Slusser:

Update: The A's might not make an annoucement this evening but ESPN's Buster Olney is reporting the destination as Kansas City, with reliever Leo Nunez coming over in return.

Usually designating a player lessens his trade value, but there were several teams with interest in Bradley, so it appears the A's will get something for him after all and probably won't have to pay any of the remaining $2 million on his contract.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:45 pm:

NO TRADE. Irony of ironies, they had a deal w/KC for Leo Nunez and KC would pay Bradley's remaining salary of $2mil. THE DEAL HAS BEEN VOIDED. A's discovered that Bradley injured his oblique in Wednesday's game.

So the question is, can they void the DFA and put him (back) on the DL, hoping to make a deal when he's due to come off? And I doubt the A's want any more to do with him and his injuries. So, basically he becomes a free agent in 10 days and can shop himself to the highest bidder ... if there are any. Lot of speculation by A's fans that he is faking this injury so he doesn't have to go to the Royals. That doesn't make sense, however, because this is his walk year and if he doesn't get somewhere soon and start putting up some decent #s in good health, assuming some team will take him, he'll probably have to take a contract that makes Frank Thomas' '06 contract look like a mega-fortune.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.36.25) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm:

That is utterly amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.68) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:35 am:

Wow...

Bradley is quickly losing the goodwill he at least from the A's fanbase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 08:31 am:

No doubt Bradley has messed himself up bigtime with re to the big payday he imagined. I actually feel sorry for him, becaue he has screwed himself up and still doesn't realize it. And it's never too late to do something about it, but will he?

What I find difficult to believe, is there are A's fans hoping that Billy picks up Elijah Dukes. Puhleeze! This guy makes Bradley's baggage look like no more than a dinky overnight bag. Dukes is on the fast track to self-destruction ... not only with his career, but more importantly, his personal life, as well.

I've also read that Bradley is evidently putting blame on the A's rehab programs. Maybe if he hadn't come into camp overweight (evidently he's still carrying some of that excess weight) he wouldn't be having the physical problems he's having. Reminds me of Lou Piniella saying years ago that Griffey Jr.'s lack of early conditioning was going to bite him in the you know what, down the road. I think it's a case of some guys being blessed with so much natural talent (5 tool players, especially) they don't feel the need to start proper conditioning at an early age. I saw a blurb a few days ago where the A's were not happy to see Bradley arrive at ST with the excess weight. Monte Poole very briefly alluded to the excess weight in his column, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.20) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 05:16 pm:

Dukes belongs in jail, not in MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.139) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:11 am:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/columnists/davedelgrande/ci_6223509

Leave it up to DDG to be the one to bring race to the discussion...although I'm surprised he was the first one that did bring it up from what I've read the past few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.139) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:11 am:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/columnists/davedelgrande/ci_6223509

Leave it up to DDG to be the one to bring race to the discussion...although I'm surprised he was the first one that did bring it up from what I've read the past few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.151) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:14 am:

I saw that article-he's such an ass.Wants to cause commotion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:29 pm:

The Oakland Tribune (the paper I grew up on, by the way) is pathetic when it comes to sports coverage. They have a couple decent columnists, but once the cheapskates lost Suchon (a very good beat writer) they never replaced him, going the cheap route and using the same common beat writer as the cctimes and merc news. The Chronicle is the only No. Ca. paper which gives top notch coverage on the A's and has a top notch beat writer. Guess the Trib publishers are too ignorant to be embarrassed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.4.224) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:23 pm:

The Trib, Merc and Times are all owned by the same company now (MediaNews), so they share reporters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.91.188) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:10 pm:

I thought Suchon wanted to do play by play and in the minors right now.

And yes, DDG is always one to start up trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.78.14) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 08:31 am:

Poole wrote a follow up column on DDG's piece a few days ago. The trib's sport turn two section was devoted to fans' reactions...even Beane responded.

Looks as DDG got the reaction that he wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 09:29 am:

Good line from Poole: "We know race has been the primary factor in many decisions of consequence. Not here. The A's may have their prejudices, but I doubt any of them trumps finding a nickel."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 09:39 am:

Just read all the Turn-2 comments. They were pretty evenly divided between DDG is an irresponsible moron and the A's are a racist organization.

The fact that Wolff is trying to move the team from Oakland to a whiter suburban venue doesn't help change that latter perception.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 09:45 am:

Billy responded today to DDG:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_6240002?source=most_viewed#top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:57 am:

This is interesting.

The Trib's website says the Del Grande Column is no longer available and to search archives, but searching by article title, author or keywords does not produce it.

It's also been expunged from the list of Del Grande's recent columns:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/columnists/davedelgrande

Well, here's the original column, just in case somebody over at the paper misplaced it:

A's whitewashed by Beane, Mets
Column by Dave Del Grande
Article Last Updated: 06/25/2007 02:34:51 AM PDT

LET ME GET this straight: The A's basically cut a supremely talented black outfielder because they have a dime-a-dozen white guy who complains less about being a backup.

Somewhere, Torii Hunter is saying: I told you so.

What in the world was Billy Beane thinking?

Except for a nice run in the playoffs last year, Milton Bradley hasn't done much in his season and a half in Oakland. But let's not forget what he did last October.

The agonizingly inconsistent Bradley has the potential to be a difference-maker when he's hot. Name me one of the Oakland white guys about whom you could say that.

It's easy to see why the A's are a weak hitting club: They get about as little production from their outfielders and corner infielders as any team in baseball.

Playing Nick Swisher at first base helps, but that leaves a bad left-field platoon and an injury-prone centerfielder.

I'm not saying Bradley should be starting ahead of Travis Buck. But, when healthy, ahead of Shannon Stewart and Bobby Kielty? In a heartbeat.

If Bradley were causing trouble, I could understand the move. But he seems to add to the A's chemistry when he's yucking it up with the likes of Swisher and Buck.

It's no coincidence the A's scuffled big-time in New York over the weekend against three pitchers not named Pedro. "Gloveless" Jack Cust was pressed into duty in right field, and "Once A Month" Marco Scutaro twice was called upon to pinch hit.

This wasn't even a financial decision. This was a matter of Bradley being ... well, black.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:b1YdGU-URO8J:www.insidebayarea.com/ci_6223509%3Fsource%3Dmost_viewed+%22A%27s+whitewashed+by+Beane,+Mets,%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 03:18 pm:

I think the Trib knew it had made a big mistake by green-lighting this column and is trying to minimize the number of people who see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo (71.202.169.161) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 03:34 pm:

I just sent an email....here it is:

This article was just horrible. I wonÕt even take the time to get into it. But common!

Are you accusing Beane of not only wanting to fight the financial challenge he is in, but also wanting to make it more difficult on himself by only dealing with white players? And eliminate an entire talent pool??????

Seriously, if we ever want to dilute racism in this country, it will take a better effort on the part of the media.

God help us live color blind!

Vinnie Angelo
Oakley, CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (71.65.42.164) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:54 pm:

Since I don't live in Cali, what can you tell me about this guy. Is he himself a "racist"?

Good for Beane. I'm glad he spoke up. Even more kudos for the paper for running his letter.

Wasn't it Bradley who brought up some race issues while he was with the Dodgers?

I'm glad he's gone. He could have been a HUGE cancer in that clubhouse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (71.65.42.164) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:58 pm:

I meant to add that I used to live in the Easy Bay (Concord/Brentwood/Oakley)but have been in Indianapolis since 1994.

Most, if not all of my info comes from the GATE website or from you all on this site.

So thanks for ANY items you can toss my way.

Later!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.243.51.221) on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 01:56 pm:

DDG aplogized today: http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_6280788

Of course this begs the cynical question, did he do it voluntarily or was he forced to by senior management?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 02:48 pm:

Definitely an apology under duress/coercion from the suits.

Any asshat that writes what he did didn't/doesn't think for a moment he was wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.81.68) on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 09:25 pm:

Anybody check out Swisher in the dugout after he hit the HR, his first since Bradley was sent packing to SD.

He mimmicked the HR celebration pretending Bradley was still there.

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.69) on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 09:56 pm:

He said in the postgame interview that he did it in memory of Milton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:59 am:

Swish did a nice homage to Bradley. Plus, Street called it from the booth during that inning on FSN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (24.5.81.129) on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 09:34 pm:

Saw Milton playing for the Pads tonight. 2 hits. In Billy we trust. Yeah right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:16 am:

You have to think that there was some non-baseball incident that prompted the move.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.