Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Miggy's consecutive game streak ends at 1152 games

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Miggy's consecutive game streak ends at 1152 games
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 04:24 pm:

Tejada goes on disabled list, streak ends at 1,152
June 22, 2007
PHOENIX, ARIZONA (TICKER) -- Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada saw his consecutive games streak ended at 1,152.

Tejada was placed on the disabled list with a non-displaced fracture of his left wrist before the start of Friday's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Tejada suffered the injury when he was hit by a Doug Brocail pitch in Wednesday's game against the San Diego Padres.

Tejada tried to play through the injury and started Thursday's game. However, unable to swing, he bunted the second pitch from David Wells and was replaced by a pinch runner.

Tejada's absence brings to an end the fifth-longest consecutive games streak in major league history.

The all-time record of 2,632 games is held by Tejada's predecessor as the Orioles shortstop, Cal Ripken, Jr., who spent his entire career with Baltimore.

Tejada's record straddles his time with the Orioles and the Oakland Athletics - the team he left for Baltimore after the 2003 season. He has not missed a game since May 31, 2000.

With Tejada's streak history, the longest current streak belongs to Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre, who has played in 344 consecutive games entering Friday.

Tejada is hitting .306 with seven home runs and 41 RBI in 72 games for the Orioles this season.

Tejada said wanted to play through the injury.

"I feel better," Tejada told the Baltimore Sun earlier on Friday. "The swelling's gone down. I'm moving my hand much better now.

"It's hard for me. The only thing I can do is keep waiting a little bit more to see if the swelling goes away.

To replace Tejada on the active roster, the Orioles have called up outfielder Jon Knott from Class AAA Norfolk. Knott has batted .210 with eight homers and 20 RBI in 43 games for Norfolk.

In a separate move, the Orioles have activated catcher Ramon Hernandez from the disabled list and designated fellow catcher Alberto Castillo for assignment.

Hernandez went on the DL on June 8 with a bruised groin. He has hit .244 with three homers and 27 RBI in 44 games for the Orioles.

Coincidentally, Brocail also went on the DL Friday...

Padres place RHP Brocail on DL
June 22, 2007
SAN DIEGO (TICKER) -- The San Diego Padres on Friday placed pitcher Doug Brocail on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 21, due to a strained left gluteus muscle.

Brocail, 40, posted a 2-1 record with a 3.31 ERA in 29 relief appearances this season. The righthander is 41-43 with seven saves and a 4.06 ERA over parts of 13 major league seasons with four different teams.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.