Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Barton is commin soon folks!!!!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Barton is commin soon folks!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (67.161.160.49) on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:55 pm:

Barton has been going off in sacto check out his last 7 gAmes i think this guy is ready soon!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.81.141) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:48 am:

Last 10 games for Barton, he's gone off!

-.650(23/40), 9 runs, 6 2Bs, 1 HR, 10 RBI.

For the season, it was looking rough, but really in these past few weeks, maybe month, his #s have soared!

-.330(88/267), 45 runs, 25 2Bs, 5 HRs, 44 RBIs, .905 OPS.

The power isn't where you'd like it, but he's finally showing the bat we all hoped he would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:02 am:

The problem is, where do you put him? Cust is the quintessential DH ... streaky or not (isn't every player?) ... he provides HR power which has been so sorely missing (except for last season) from that spot.

So, the question becomes, how is Barton's defense around 1b? We all know, that in a perfect world, Swisher is our first baseman, but unless the A's can ever field 3 (almost) extroardinary outfielders, Swisher will likely be playing a lot out there. That said ...

I suspect Beane will try to get Barton up here sometime after the break, hoping to infuse some offense and adrenalin into the rest of the team. I think the timing will have to do with whether they can and do deal Johnson. I hope when they do, they can include Kennedy in the deal, while returning Marshall to the White Sox. So, if they can make the proper moves with the big club, I expect to see Barton up here (sans any injuries, of course) by the trading deadline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:03 am:

Oh, and I was hoping to see Calero get dealt, as well, but with him headed to the DL, that probably isn't too likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.139) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:16 am:

I agree, the A's will bring up Barton after the break...Now I doubt he'll be as torrid as he has been the past month when they eventually do call him up but as of now, if the A's aren't gonna add a bat thru a trade, then the only hope for this offense is to bring Barton up.

Though it's kind of sad that you have to rely on a 21 year old rookie whos never taken a MLB AB before to spark your offense that is filled with all veterans except for Buck who as of now, is really one of the only handful of hitters that you can rely on giving you a good AB or a hit.

I too would like the A's to deal the likes of a DJ although too bad they didn't trade him a few weeks back when his stock was as high as it's probably gonna be, Kennedy whos pitching has gone downhill slowly but you knew it was gonna happen eventually, and Calero who as of now is probably playing his last year with the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.240) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 06:28 am:

Watched BBTN last night and Gammons said the A's may trade DJ to the Yanks who are looking for a 1B and doubtful they'll be able to land a Texiera type bat there so DJ could be a name brought up by the A's to the Yanks since Gammons also pointed out that Barton is red hot this month could be called up soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 06:42 am:

I think Gammons is right on this one. I've heard A's scouts are looking at some of their minor league pitching prospects. Also, I've heard ... at least right now ... they are not interesed in doling out big bucks for Texiera and they are in need of a first baseman. This could be a match for both teams. Of course, beyond Hughes, who's untouchable, I don't look for much in the Yankees' pitching dept. Though he's on the DL, maybe Calero would fatten it a little. But the bottom line is they need to clear a spot for Barton, another left hander, so they can ill afford DJ, as well. Hmmm, wonder how much it would take to get Melky Cabrera?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.89.103) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:06 pm:

Well, Barton has cooled down a bit.

For the month now, he's hitting...

-.304(14/46), 4 runs, 5 2Bs, 3B, 0 HRs, 2 RBIs, .817 OPS.

This after a HUGE June...

-.454(49/108), 24 runs, 14 2Bs, 3B, 2 HRs, 20 RBIs, 1.157 OPS.

For the season...

-.322(109/339), 53 runs, 31 2Bs, 3 3Bs, 6 HRs, 51 RBIs, .890 OPS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:31 pm:

Thanks for the update on Barton, looks to be more of the Tony Gwynn, Ichiro slap hitter type....rather than power. Haven't seen him hacking, wonder if he has that Buck swing where Buck will eventually project out to a 30 homer guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 03:42 pm:

Here's another update on Barton. He, Jermy Brown and Dallas Bradan all got mohawks recently. Saw Barton's at the ballpark friday night and he looks a bit like a blonde Ron Artest.

Guess we can get a preview when Braden pitches for the A's tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.19.35) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:16 pm:

What is with the way Braden wears his cap, with a flat brim. Looks stupid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 09:01 am:

Stylin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 09:03 am:

Well, it's apparent that Braden did away with the Mohawk and just went with the buzz cut before coming back up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.83.238) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 02:45 pm:

1. Daric Barton, Athletics
Hitting: .316/.406/.480 at Triple-A (93 G)

Last year was a bit of a lost season for Barton, who began the year as a 20-year-old in the Pacific Coast League, struggled at first and then missed most of the season after breaking a bone in his elbow on a pickoff play collision. He got off to another slow start this year, hitting just .221/.306/.314 in April, but heís been on fire ever since, hitting .347/.438/.536. Barton is among the best pure hitters in the minor leagues, but the power is probably never going to produce more than 15-20 home runs annually, as his level, contact-oriented swing offers little in the way of loft or backspin. A brief trial at third base proved to be a total disaster (at least defensively), but the Aís are trying to make a move to get Bartonís bat into their lineup for the final two months of the season, and he should be their starting first baseman in 2008. He's not the prototypical player for the position by any means, but he'll be a guy who should compete for both batting and on-base percentage titles on an annual basis.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6482

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.83.238) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 02:45 pm:

1. Daric Barton, Athletics
Hitting: .316/.406/.480 at Triple-A (93 G)

Last year was a bit of a lost season for Barton, who began the year as a 20-year-old in the Pacific Coast League, struggled at first and then missed most of the season after breaking a bone in his elbow on a pickoff play collision. He got off to another slow start this year, hitting just .221/.306/.314 in April, but heís been on fire ever since, hitting .347/.438/.536. Barton is among the best pure hitters in the minor leagues, but the power is probably never going to produce more than 15-20 home runs annually, as his level, contact-oriented swing offers little in the way of loft or backspin. A brief trial at third base proved to be a total disaster (at least defensively), but the Aís are trying to make a move to get Bartonís bat into their lineup for the final two months of the season, and he should be their starting first baseman in 2008. He's not the prototypical player for the position by any means, but he'll be a guy who should compete for both batting and on-base percentage titles on an annual basis.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6482

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (66.81.216.102) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 02:50 pm:

They tried him at 3rd base. Maybe A's brass is getting tired of watching Chavez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 03:20 pm:

That's what I was hoping when I noticed in the box score that Barton was playing 3rd. But I guess if he's that bad, we should give up on that hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.233.65) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:52 pm:

"What is with the way Braden wears his cap, with a flat brim. Looks stupid."

On the radio, Braden told Fosse that he really needs to use his peripheral vision, and without the flat brim he simply can't see what Chavvy or DJ are doing (especially if he wants to hold or snag runners at either corner). He added good naturedly that he has long taken a certain amount of heat for wearing the cap this way... even from his friends.

He seems to be a stand-up guy, who has had a tough time making it to the big leagues, and is very humble and grateful.

The story in the press and during the A's broadcasts, is that all his tattoos, pierced nipples, and former drug/alcohol lifestyle as a teen was the result of being a kid from a low income household, whose mother was suffering terribly with cancer (and she finally died when he was 17, I believe), and whose father had pretty much turned his back on them long ago. He just felt helpless and hopeless, and gave up on life.

He credits his grandmother, Peggy, with literally saving his life by taking him in and restoring his belief in himself that he could be anything he wanted someday, with hard work and discipline, no matter what the odds. He went back to school and dug in.

The story out there is that when he was drafted, he didn't spend his modest signing bonus (he may have been taken in the 24th round) on a car or jewelry for himself, he gave it to his gram and his baseball coach, out of gratitude for all they'd done for him. He also is said to take care of his grandmother and sister now, as well.

He is very coachable, and improving (hear that Crosby?), and has a screwball (that we haven't seen, yet), that no one could hit in the past. Curt Young is helping him to perfect it for the big leagues.

I'm rooting for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.25.237) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 09:48 pm:

Wow, I hadn't heard that story. That's terrific. Good for him. He can wear his hat any way he wants!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.237.41) on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 07:44 am:

thanx for sharing that story...true or not...I tend to believe it for my own good for that is what keeps me still a baseball in spite of selig and barry bonds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.150) on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 01:19 pm:

Wow-that IS great. After hearing how many people adore Barry Bonds 24/7, this is good to hear for a change.....
Selig and Bonds are lovers now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 02:45 pm:

...what's that term, his grandmother, tough love.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:20 am:

After starting out hot this month starting off hitting .304(14/46), he finished off July hitting just .224(13/58) and his #s are more similar to his May #s than that HOT June.

July #s...

-.260(14/46), 15 runs, 7 2Bs, 0 HRs, 8 RBIs, .732 OPS.

Gotta wonder if not bringing up Barton when he was red hot was a mistake, I think most teams seeing their top prospect hitting so well for most of the month would've brought him up by now especially when your offense is one of the worst in baseball.

Although Meyer finished up with a great outing yesterday and had a Barton type June in July pitching wise.

Meyer in July went...

-6 GS, 1-1, 37.2 IP, 24 hits, 8 ERs, 16 BBs, 30 Ks.

Really Meyer performance and his help from his offense is just like many A's SP. How can you have a 1.91 ERA in 6 GS and have only a 1-1 record.

Gotta wonder how much longer the A's will keep him in Sac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:22 am:

Correction, Barton went 27/104 for a .260 BA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.68.80) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:38 pm:

Happy B-Day by the way tomorrow for Barton, he'll turn 22 Thursday.

Hit his first HR since June MON.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.249) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 02:59 am:

Urban in his mailbag on MLB.com said he wouldn't be shocked if Barton is part of some packaged deal to land a big RH bat this offseason?

My question is what RH bat is out there to be had? I'd be for trading Barton is a packaged deal with maybe Blanton and some other player to land a YOUNG STUD RH, but who?

The only player(s) I can think of would be one of those TB youngsters in either Young or Upton and I don't know how likely TB would trade either.

I'd love to land somebody like a Bruan(MIL) but that isn't happening either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 09:08 am:

Barring some massive meltdown of both Boston and NY, TB will never win ANYTHING in the AL East, so why not trade some of their young talent???

At least the Brewers have hope, so I can't see them trading Braun or any of their young guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:50 am:

OTF, I am convinced Urban gets half of his ideas from scout.com. The good ones, that is. :) I posted that about 3 weeks ago. Course it was like I desecrated something when I suggested they include Barton in a deal, if it brings more; lot of the posters didn't seem to like the idea. I just keep saying over and over, I believe Swisher belongs at 1b and this lineup doesn't need another left handed hitter. And he's not going to provide the power Cust does, not to mention he isn't really good defensively, at any position. Though we could sure use his (anticpated, that is) offense. But I think he is another of Billy's holy grails and probably won't deal him in the end. We'll see.

Further, the things Urban stated about Blanton, were posted weeks ago by a number of members. Word for word, he seems to be saying exactly what was posted. Does make one wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.124) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 04:13 pm:

TB? They could be the MIL/ARZ version of in the AL. You talk about the best young talent top to bottom in all 9 positions, TB maybe right up there.

Pena, Upton, Young, Crawford, Wilson, Navarro and in the future Longoria(3b). That's not including the likes of Baldelli, Gomes, Iwaruma, and Dukes.

Pitching wise they have Kazmir and Shieds, two pretty damn good young pitchers, and they had the #1 pick in Price this past June who should be up soon.

I think TB is a team on the rise and its a shame they'll be in the AL East, even with all that great talent potentially, who knows if they can eve compete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.10.14) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 08:11 pm:

deajay, although I don't read scout.com, my reaction to Urban's mailbag this week was that anyone could have written that stuff. He doesn't display any particular "insider" knowledge and he's not even a good writer, much less a "journalist."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.71.54) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:52 pm:

So far in the playoffs, Barton has shown more power than in the reg season.

3 playoff games, and 3 HRs including a HR earlier tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:14 am:

I couldn't agree more on Urban, eyleenn. You're absolutely right. I see a fair amount of mlb beat coverage from Matt Smith on the A's site. I keep hoping Urban will go off into the sunset or focus completetly on his Giants' "career." I think they make a good pairing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.151) on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:49 pm:

Barton will be here tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.92.84) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 05:26 am:

Barton's #s in 5 playoff games..

-.550(11/24), 4 runs, 4 HRs, 10 RBIs, 1.150 OPS in 5 games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 07:30 am:

Maybe he can help keep the A's ... gulp ... out of last place. But I'm really torn ... I would love to see them get a top 10 pick in next year's draft ... at the moment, they're sitting for the #11 pick ... but, I don't want them to finish last, either. Interesting that the battle is btw. 2 guys who originally figured to battle for the A's managerial job. One wonders if there isn't a little added incentive there for the 2 guys. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.11) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:18 am:

Well it's not like the A's are the only team that seen it's win loss record drop dramatically from 06 to this year. Remember TEX was close to a .500 team this year and are WORSE off with Wash as the manager.

I'd still like to be in the place of Geren or at least as an A's fan than I would Wash/Ranger fans who IMO will never win anything as long as they play in that joke of a park. I mean look at how pitchers go there and see their careers end, Park, or never get started because of it's too hitter friendly, Young from SD.

As for Barton, well the two other A's top prospects have had good rookie year in Buck and Suzuki, if Barton could show a bit the remaining 18 games and into 08..then that'd be just another sign the A's farm team isn't as bad as many think it is.

Although, difference makers, the lackof them in the system is the question mark. Barton IMO if he lives up to his potential should be a very good MLB hitter ala a Olreud/Grace, whom I think are very good comparisons too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:47 am:

Not only is it a hitters' park, the heat has to totally wear that team down. Also, the winds become helacious there. I never could figure out why they didn't dome that stadium. However, I understand Hicks is looking into it and it could be done in the very near future. I don't know whether the new Cowboys' stadium (evidently right next to the Rangers) will be domed or not; but because NFL is played in Fall/Winter, maybe not even being considered.

Interesting that Wash's job looked to be in imminent danger earlier in the season with a lot of grousing btw. some players and him. It looks, however, like Texeira may have been the main culprit. He seems to have them playing much better as a team now. And of course, they subsequently extended his contract, so seems to be doing a good job of learning on the fly. I'll always root for Wash to succeed; course being in the same division, it's hard not to be torn. So I'll just wish his Rangers finish second to the A's for the indefinite future. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.11) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:04 am:

Meant to post TEX's record was near .500 last season and it's gotten worse than year.

As for DAL's new NFL stadium, it'll be a partically domed venue like it is today with a hole at the very top but yeah, the weather in the fall/winter won't be as sweatering as it is in the summer.

I don't know what the Rangers could do? Build a huge retractable roof? How much would that cost, I'm guessing at least 200+ million. I know KC is doing a roof that could slide on tracks for both the NFL and MLB teams which play across from one another, a reason why KC is getting a SB soon.

Going back to the topic, I'm guessing Barton would take ABs away from DJ who really has shown much conistancy even when given the ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:01 pm:

The Rivercats have advanced to the next round of the PCL playoffs. Will they bring Barton up anyway?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 05:21 pm:

They already did.

As great as it is for him to make it to the big club, I kinda wish they would have left him in Sacto for the Championship Series. He's the only one who's been with the River Cats all year.

Guess Beane really wants to finish out of last place...

Big blast by Barton caps Cats' comeback
Sacramento moves on to face New Orleans for the PCL championship.
By Jim Jenkins - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:48 am PDT Monday, September 10, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Daric Barton?s big season was rewarded when he was called up to the A?s.
Sacramento Bee/Lezlie Sterling

The hero of Sunday's Pacific Coast League Pacific Conference-clinching victory for the River Cats won't be joining the team in New Orleans for the start of the PCL championship series Tuesday.

While this comes as bittersweet news to the team's Raley Field fan base, manager Tony DeFrancesco said the A's call-up of Daric Barton is a fitting reward after the first baseman's two-out, three-run homer in the fifth inning sparked a 4-2 comeback win over Salt Lake in the deciding game of their best-of-five playoff to reach the league finals.

"He deserves it," DeFrancesco said of the 22-year-old infielder, who hit four of the River Cats' 13 home runs in the series, batted .550 and drove in 10 runs.

"I've been telling Daric for days he's been playing like a big-leaguer."

Barton, the only player to remain on the River Cats' ever-changing active roster during the regular season, wasn't informed of his promotion until DeFrancesco pulled him aside amid a clubhouse celebration.

Barton's reaction? "A big surprise," he said. "It's something I've been dreaming of since I was 6 years old. I wanted to go to New Orleans with these guys. Now, I'll be going to Seattle (with the A's), but I'll try to keep in close contact to see how they do."

They might do pretty well. And given the River Cats have been in first place most of the year despite more than 180 roster moves, who's to say they can't overcome the loss of Barton, too?

"I can't tell you how proud I am of these guys, to be down 2-0 in this series and come back to win all three of these games at home," said DeFrancesco, bidding for a third PCL title in his fifth year as manager. "It doesn't seem to matter how many transactions we've had. Everyone fought hard and I think it will continue when we go to New Orleans."

The River Cats split the season series with the Zephyrs 2-2, with all the games at Raley Field. The rematch begins with two games in New Orleans and the last three scheduled for Sacramento.

That the Zephyrs won their American Conference playoff in four games against Nashville, the PCL's winningest team, and won't have to travel doesn't worry DeFrancesco.

"There are mixed reviews on that," he said. "Some people say with the extra rest you can lose something. I think we have the momentum."

And some solid relief pitching. Once Barton's towering blast into the bullpen in right erased the 2-0 lead Salt Lake took in the first inning, the River Cats were in need of stout bullpen work after the Triple-A debut of Sacramento starter Bobby Cramer fizzled.

When DeFrancesco removed Cramer in the third, there were two on and none out, but Shawn Kohn retired the next three batters and pitched three more scoreless innings.

Jerry Blevins, a recent call-up from the Double-A Texas League, picked up for Kohn in the seventh and proceeded to strike out six of the first seven hitters he faced. The 6-foot-6 left-hander, who gave up just one hit, then set down the side in order in the ninth.

When 36-year-old third baseman Lou Merloni threw out Tommy Murphy at first for Salt Lake's final out, a celebration ensued in the infield.

"It doesn't seem to matter who the A's take away from us," said Merloni, applauding Barton's call-up. "This team is resilient."

Barton's winning blow came off Nick Green, making his first Triple-A start for the Bees. Gregorio Petit singled to open the fifth. With two away, Nick Blasi beat out a hit to shortstop and a Merloni single scored Petit, setting the stage for Barton. The left-handed hitting Barton connected on a 2-2 pitch, a fastball left high in the strike zone that has the River Cats packing for the Bayou.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.11) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:02 pm:

Great debut by Barton tonight.

2-3 with 2 BBs.

A 2B and had his second hit rifled down the RF line but only a single because Guillen has a GUN for an arm. Even his only out, he hit a solid line drive.

Reminds me of Grieve's debut in 94 against SF late in the year. Where he went 3-4 with 3 2Bs, 5 RBIs and his only out was a deep line out to LF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:30 pm:

Apparently the main reason they called him up now, is because the remainder of the season is against contenders (excepting the Rangers, of course) ... M's, Sox, Indians, Angels and they figured they'd get a good idea of what to expect. He sure seems to know what he's doing at the plate; good eye, quick bat, hits the ball hard. Someone said the M's announcers were sure impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 09:12 am:

#2 hitter next year, then #3 in his prime..Geren should put him in the 2 hole and let him learn to hit in situations. We know he can hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:11 am:

Geren putting Barton at the two hole sounds like a La Russa move, do it Bob. Also, isn't Mulder making his second start tonight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:23 am:

#3 hitter in his prime ... only if he develops power. Though recently they've been pumping up Buck as a #3 hitter. I see both Buck and Barton as similar hitters ... hoping they will both develop power. Course, Barton is younger, so one can say his window is larger. The problem I have with Barton and/or Swisher hitting #2 is that they lack much in the speed dept. Though Swisher is a tad faster, I guess. Whereas Buck has decent speed and has shown to be a very good baserunner. Right now, (that is next season when he is ... hopefully ... healthy again) I like Buck better as a #2 hitter because he is fleeter of foot. Though they also seem to like him as a #1 hitter.

Barton looked fairly smooth at 1b last night. Hope it wasn't a mirage. I am anxious to see how he is at scooping throws ... very important for a first baseman. They say his defense has improved significantly. We'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:46 am:

Yea, defense...boy maybe we hire Wash for the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 05:51 pm:

Raiderjohn, you get your wish. You called it ... Barton hitting in the 2 hole tonight. How about that?

Oh yeh, and JaMarcus Russell on his way. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:19 am:

nice call dea.....deuces wild. I think Geren will experiment with Barton's batting slot for the remainder of the season.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.