Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

DK aka "Trade Bait"?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: DK aka "Trade Bait"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.29.67.197) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 01:46 pm:

Will Twins go after Johnson?

from the Pioneer Press/Twin Cities.com

Article Last Updated: 07/11/2007 12:50:50 AM CDT

by SHOOTER CHARLEY WALTERS

The Twins' four-game series against Oakland beginning Thursday evening in the Metrodome could be an audition for A's first baseman Dan Johnson, a Blaine High School graduate.

Insiders say the A's are intent on trading Johnson to make room for top first-base prospect Daric Barton, hitting .321 with six home runs at Class AAA Sacramento.

Johnson, hitting .260 with 10 home runs and 37 runs batted in in 66 games, would seem to be a nice designated hitter acquisition for his hometown club. A left-handed batter who has played parts of four seasons for the A's and is being paid $400,000 this season, Johnson, 27, would seem to be a decent bet to hit 20 home runs playing 81 games a year in the Metrodome.

Johnson has been home visiting his parents in Coon Rapids since Monday, enjoying the all-star break before resuming the second half of the season in his hometown.

"This is real nice; I get a full week here," he said Tuesday. "You can't beat that."

Johnson acknowledged he has heard trade talk involving him but said to his knowledge, it's all speculation and linked to Barton.

"It's one of those things where, if you bring him up, you don't want to ruin the kid's career," he said. "I'm guessing they (A's front office) are going to see which way the season goes, and if we fall off, I expect they'll try to make a move to build for next year.

"My job is with Oakland. If something were to happen, and it's completely speculation, both teams want to get better. If our team feels they can get a piece of the puzzle they need to help win games, that's the way it goes. You never know in this game.

"But I'm happy playing for Oakland. It's a great team to be on."

The A's, American League West Division champions, are in third place with a 44-44 record.

"We're kind of a second-half team, and this rest is needed around that clubhouse," said Johnson, who graduated from Blaine in 1997. "We've had a lot of injuries, and there's not been a lot of days off for us. We've just been trying to push through it and get this second wind to take care of business for the second half."

The Twins are 45-43 and in third place in the AL Central.

"This is the time when you find out which way you're going to go; are you going to be the contender or the pretender?" Johnson said.

Comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.230) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 05:23 pm:

Saw on ESPN DJ being mentioned as possible trade bait to both BOS and the NYY because the A's really want to bring up Barton.

Also mentioned Piazza being dealt and maybe Stewart although Olney mentioned the A's would get two picks if Stewart signed elsewhere so the team that trades for him would have to give something in "equal value" to two picks in next year's draft.

Firesale? I think it'll happen, not the A's year IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:30 am:

Not sure about stewart - I thought he was a GREAT signing by BB - and depending on how much he costs next year - he has to be an option. However - if he continues to play this well - he will get some nice offers for next year and 2 draft picks would be great. I think the teams stance is smart - ala - you can have him now but we need to get back what we will if we keep him foe the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer (71.139.164.166) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:32 am:

firesale is a must at this point. be proactive. DJ has to go to make room for barton who needs to be up NOW. later piazza. too bad it didn't work out. gawd it would be nice to get something in return for these guys but i doubt that. at least unload some salaries. i'd love to see stewart back next year. if u do trade him, package him w/harden so we can get some value in return.

bummer that they're tanking it after such a great year in 2006. are they just going to tank it until the cisco era????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.86.128) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

Lurie had a piece in the trib Sunday.

-keep Piazza.
-trade Kendall to ChiCubs.
-trade DJ to SF.
-trade Kotsay to the Yanks.
-trade Kennedy NYM/DET/CLE.
-trade Stwart to the NYM.
-trade Kielty for a mid level prospect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.86.128) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 04:48 pm:

Trade Harden/Kennedy/Stewart for Milledge. Wonder if Beane still has a hard on for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (69.40.222.240) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:07 am:

Milledge has not looked that good. They have brought him up a couple of times and each time have sent him back down. I wonder how good this kid really is, but we need a bat and and Barton needs to be up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:35 am:

Hey, Lurie stole my suggestion. Wonder if he reads Scout. com forums? I suggested a few weeks ago that the Cubs would be perfect suitors for Kendall. I still think it could happen. Though with Landon Powell lost for the rest of this year and likely all of next, who do they call up? Please don't say Brown. Recker has been lighting it up (just promoted from Stockton to Midland), but he's a long ways away, I would think.

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect people are going to be disappointed with the expectations being put on Barton. He has not shown power (a prequisite for DH/1b) and, after all, he is still a prospect. I am looking forward to seeing him up here, however to find out if all the projections come true. It's just a shame he is not an accomplished outfielder, which is really what we need ... one can defend and one who can hit. Too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.89.103) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:50 am:

Milledge has looked decent with the bat since being called up.

-.267(4/15), 2B, HR, 5 RBIs

He also mentioned possibly going after a Rowand(PHI) this FA offseason. With Piazza and Kendall most likely gone along with the likes of a Kennedy, that's gonna be what, 15-20 million off the books from this season?

No way the A's are going to go after the likes of a ARod, A.Jones, or even Hunter, but I think getting a "type B" FA RH stick like Rowand would be a solid move.

Now he's hitting .322/12/46/.901 this year so far, not much power and that's saying something with him playing in one of the most hitter friendly parks in all of MLB in CBPB...but he'll only be 30 when next season starts...think he's an affortable type bat the A's can land in FA this offseason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.89.103) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:51 am:

Barton's #s...

-.322(109/339), 53 runs, 31 2Bs, 3 3Bs, 6 HRs, 51 RBIs, .890 OPS.

The HRs will never be great, maybe 15-20 average wise for his career per season...but I think he'll hit a ton of 2Bs.

A player he's compared to is Olerud and he never hit more than 24 HRs in his career but during his peak years, he hit over .300 with 20 HRs, 30-40 2Bs, and 90 RBIs. I think those are realistic #s for Barton for his career.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.219) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:52 am:

Rumor mill...

DJ to the Yanks for Proctor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.219) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:59 am:

Proctor #s wise isn't having horrible year.

Mid 3s ERA in 50+ IP.

Is Beane building up the bullpen? The 3 trades with Bradley, Kendall, and now maybe DJ...all 3 main pieces are RP arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.219) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:59 am:

Proctor #s wise isn't having horrible year.

Mid 3s ERA in 50+ IP.

Is Beane building up the bullpen? The 3 trades with Bradley, Kendall, and now maybe DJ...all 3 main pieces are RP arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:47 am:

Proctor pitches about as often as Scot Shields for the Angels -- i.e., almost daily!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.219) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:04 pm:

With Calero, Duke, Kennedy and possibly Embree gone after this season...makes sense to rebuild the pen back up.

As of now, it's only Street and Casilla as locks for the pen in 08.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.219) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:06 pm:

With Calero, Duke, Kennedy and possibly Embree gone after this season...makes sense to rebuild the pen back up.

As of now, it's only Street and Casilla as locks for the pen in 08.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (65.206.227.27) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 03:02 pm:

the new guy we got from SD is pretty awesome so far! can't win many games without a strong pen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.205) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:23 am:

Speaking Laurie agian, he wrote in the A's Friday sports spat section that the A's could maybe acquire Bay from PIT?

Bay is exactly the type of RH stick the A's need. He's not that old, he'll turn 29 in SEP, and has put up some impressive seasons averaging .290/33/104/.940 in 05 and 06, having a down year this season .247/13/57/.743..wasn't even PIT's all star rep this season as that went to Sanchez.

I don't know what the A's could give up realistically for Bay who really is the only PIT "star" player IMO. You'd think they'd want pitching and at least Blanton. I don't know about that.

Does worry me he's a long life NL player and him coming to the AL, may effect his performance early on since the AL is regarded as the tougher to hit league.

I'd be happy with either acquiring a Rowand or Bay during the trade deadline or offseason FA period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:36 pm:

"Does worry me he's a long life NL player and him coming to the AL, may effect his performance early on since the AL is regarded as the tougher to hit league."

Remember what happened to the hitting of the last life-long NLer that we got from PIT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.92.186) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 01:08 pm:

True, Kendall's power #s were declining his last few years with PIT but his OPS and AVG were still pretty near or even better than his "prime years" with PIT.

Just made me wonder, why Laurie mentioned Bay as a possible trade target the A's may go after especially when his name hasn't been mentioned by most A's fans.

He was right about Kendall being traded to the ChiCubs this past weekend in his Sunday Trib article so who knows.

In other news, BoSox are reportly interested in trading away Pena according to the Globe there. He still has some power potential but never lived up to it especially after what i thought was a breakout season a few years back hitting 26 HRs/66 RBIs in 2/3 of the season with CIN. Even last year he hit .300 with BOS. He's still only 26 next season so he still could develop into a Guillen type bat eventually. I know he K's a TON, but doesn't a lot of A's hitters do that now? At least he has the potential to hit 25-30 HRs if he gets 500+ ABs, but he also may K 200 times too.

I just hope Beane gets a veteran RH stick with some pop. Nobody in the system other than Herrera fits that descrition and he maybe 2 years away from even arriving here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 01:36 pm:

Willy Mo is definitely a defensive liability too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.201.23) on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:20 pm:

According to rotoworld...Olney thinks DJ will get traded to the NYY.

Next 48+ hours will be very intersting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.201.23) on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:20 pm:

Read on another MB that reported from a NYC rag that the A's offered DJ to the NYY for AAA OF Brett Gardner and the NYY rejected.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.