Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

This team sucks

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: This team sucks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (24.5.81.129) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 06:38 pm:

Heading for a 71 win season if they're lucky. Please send Chavez home for the year and Crosby to Sacramento.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 06:48 pm:

I totally agree but I know today the blind apologists will just say - oh wow, Santana was really dealing today! Yes he is a great pitcher but it doesn't matter who is pitching against them. Sucks is the word - through and through. And I just don't understand how there is anyone who can't see that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (207.200.116.200) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:16 pm:

this is a typical oaland A's beane type of team good enough to interst us but not good enough, last yr was a fluke with the big guy carrying us on.

we got a gm who would rather have keitly up here then a bradly on the bench who can will us some wins so we get a boring ass A's team aka another beane classic.

for all those beane fans and i give him credit on Cust ect... but many like to say how many to giants fans "how many trophys in the cabinate? well how many do we have with beane ? ZERO PEOPLE GET USED TO IT!!!!

who did we get for bonderman?

how many great players has beane traded for so called fixers?

just i think time is moving on and this team is getting to the point of having more holes to fill with chavez and crosby not doing there jobs and what a great catcher we got tooo hitten his weight. this sucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.39.122) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:17 pm:

Very depressing. Wouldn't have mattered who was pitching for the Twinks, the A's couldn't come back from a 5 run deficit if their lives depended on it.

I did hear on the radio that the Piazza as catcher experiment is over and he's gone to Sac to rehab as DH. Not that having him back will make any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:36 pm:

I think Piazza was more than reasonable about this little experiment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer (71.139.186.86) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:52 pm:

Beane is overrated and sacto d, despite how many people mock him, is dead on.

kendall = sunk cost.

it is unacceptable that he starts. it's in the best interest in the org that kurk suzuki be the everyday catcher. he has nothing to gain being on the bench. the reason why kendall starts? beane doesn't want to acknowledge his f-up. now yes, we got kendall for 2 losers (redman and rhodes) but those were 2 beane screwups.

yeah, we're paying kendall a lot but it's irrelevant. we can't recoup his salary. if beane's such a moneyball he should know the meaning of a sunk cost - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.39.122) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:55 pm:

At least Kendall got an rbi double in the 9th inning tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (24.10.31.59) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 08:16 pm:

wow, another listless performance, and too little, too late. what to do, what to do.

i don't think kendall will sit or be DFA'd unless it becomes obvious that we can't compete anymore (remember it wasn't that long ago we were 8-9 games over .500), but agree suzuki needs to be in there everyday.

dinardo wasn't all bad but obviously he is not a 3rd string starter.

casilla is a bright spot and he's gonna be a great late inning guy.

we need to start batting chavez 7th and get travis buck back - really think he was a big reason for us winning so many games before. kotsay will catch up, don't forget he had no ST.

i'm not ready to call it quits yet but it is becoming painfully obvious how much we rely on our SP and how weak our offense is. it has more holes than a wiffle ball.

piazza coming back as a DH is likely to showcase him to teams that want to trade, in the AL. yankees or twins interested? what a bust signing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (70.132.7.78) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 08:34 pm:

Let the fire sale begin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.79.80) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:14 am:

I'd still take Beane over 25-27 of the other GMs in baseball right now.

Sure he's made some bad mistakes, but so has every GM. Is it Beane's fault that what could go wrong this season has?

-Harden injured.
-Loaiza not pitching the first 3.5 months.
-Piazza missing the past two months.
-Street injured.
-Duke out for the season.
-Bradley injured and eventually traded.
-Kotsay missing the first two months.
-Buck who was a bright spot has missed the last few weeks.

That's 7 key components on this team that has missed a ton of playing time. You take 7 key pieces to other teams, they'd be in the same shape as the A's, a .500 team as of now, maybe even worse.

Add to that Chavez/Crosby, two key pieces are having even a worse year than most detractors would've thought they'd have.

I didn't think this was a playoff team before the season even had things gone right, I thought maybe mid 80s was a reasonable win total..you add all those injuries and basically slumps from the entire A's lineup that is half filled with it's projected starters...yes, it's a bad team right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.29.67.197) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 08:30 am:

I agree otf,

That, and the fact that the Halo's and M's are both playing "lights out" ball right now.

I just wonder if Billy has given up on this year and will start the inevitable salary dumps now?

But I also think we are only two or three games beloww what we were last year at this time.

So, who knows what could happen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:02 pm:

OTF, you forgot Street and Calero. Even with our anemic offense, a healthy bullpen would have made a positive difference. Pretty hard to fault Beane for the horrible run of injuries. In fact, I find little fault with him re this season. How many GMs were clamoring to sign Stewart (a real bargain, who has been a life-saver for this team) and who was it that inquired about and obtained Jack Cust?

Truly, most teams would have folded long ago had they had the Who's Who DL we've had this year. And look at the White Sox, their team has just folded up for whatever reason. Maybe the honeymoon with Guillen is over. Their GM, evidently highly regarded, has just sat by and watched his manager act like a total jerk; I really think his players are fed up with him.

And in spite of those who don't like Wolff, at least he has the common sense to trust Beane in personnel moves. Look across the bay, their owner has no common sense, signing an overrated GM for another two years, a guy under whom their minor league system ... except for a couple pitchers ... has absolutely sucked under his tenure, including their scouts and coaches in said system. Sabean's only salvation will be to try signing more high-priced FAS such as Jones, Hunter, Cameron, A-rod, etc., while failing to recognize the need for young talented players to come up through their system. They'll be losing some of their draft picks next year with whatever signings they make ... excepting their first draft pick of course, since their recored is likely to put them within the first 15 range. And after all, he was the fool who bid against himself to make a #3 or #4 pitcher the highest paid pitcher ever. Yikes.

Nobody is perfect; even so, IMO Beane is the best GM, period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:01 pm:

Nice posts. DJ. OTF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.85.252) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 06:20 am:

If the A's are only a few games back from where they were last year, then I give the credit to the pitching staff which still has the #1 ERA in all of the AL and 2nd in MLB behind only the Pads.

Even when the A's were at their high point for this season, winning 10 out of 13 to start off June and were I believe 7 games above .500, during that 10 game stretch, they weren't much better offensively from where they were scored only 47 runs, 3.6 runs per game. Their pitching had allowed only 28 runs, just over 2 runs a game. The pitching wasn't gonna be that great the rest of the season but the offense has remainded mediocre as in the past 9 games, they have scored 3 runs or less in all 9 of them and are 2-7, no surprise there especially in the AL with their only wins coming in games of 3-1 and 3-2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.85.252) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 06:27 am:

Also, what team, let alone a playoff team, can you say lost their entire pen from the previous season like the A's did.

Street, Duke, Calero, Gaudin, Kennedy all were either injured or in the starting rotation for most of the first half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (68.55.128.230) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:12 am:

Hmmmm - count me in as someone who thought we had a pretty good team going into the season.

A: I thought the Stewart signing was freaking brilliant.
B: I thought we way overpaid on Piazza, but thought he would be a 20+ homer guy.
C: Maybe Harden would stay healthy?
D: Finally had depth - getting Todd Walker early for nothing was a nice little move.

Had all those things came to fruition - we'd be right in there. But really - we got ravaged by injuries and it's amazing we stayed as far up as we did. Many will call it a choke, but really, I have never seen a team battle this many injuries before. As mentioned - not helping is the fact that Crosby is absolutely pathetic in the field and at the plate and sadly, I think we are seeing what Eric Chavez can contribute offensively. He will NEVER be the 50 homer guy that he could be. He's just wasting potential - maybe a better team could bring it out of him. Sadly we can't - he has all the tools to be one of the biggest stars of the game and he will NEVER be able to achieve that. Whether it's the organization not helping him achieve it or he's lazy - or both. But we are stuck with a defensive wizard and an underwhelming "star quality" bat in the infield.

To be honest, if this is how it's going to go, I would much rather see us sell everyone off and field a team that will be able to play next year (bring up barton, bring up some of our young starters and middle relievers to get some time in) and get them seasoned for next year). To me it would be more interesting than seeing what I am seeing now.

Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of nice players, but it's not happening and why we would keep piazza at this point is beyond me. Get rid of his salary, pick up a player and create a spot for Cust - who I hope is resigned for a few more years and planted in the DH/5th OF spot for a while. He deserves more than anyone a shot on this team.

I would love to see Shannon Stewart here next year, but with so many other teams in the race, his good year and the rarity that we would actually keep him (seeing how he's worth 2 picks in the draft) he's most likely gone.

Next year's OF: Buck, Kotsay, Snelling/Denorfia and Swisher if DJ is not traded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.0.51) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:00 am:

Susan Slusser agrees about Piazza. On today's pregame with Vince, she said Piazza might be traded even before he's activated off the DL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.81.25) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 02:21 pm:

He should be, he spent all 17 of his years in the NL, to expect him to get hot the second half when he's missed two months is asking for really the impossible. If he had stayed healthy, it would've taken him IMO at least the first half to get situated against AL pitching, forget about that now.

C-Suzuki...needs to play more. I don't care how well Kendall handles the pitching staff, in a lineup that is looking for offense anywhere you can get it, you can't have somebody who is gonna hit in the low .200s.

1B-Swisher...he's the best 1B in the system defensively...something I've said for a long time now. He's slumping BAD the past 1-1.5 months but still believe he's the "star" the A's build around.

2B-Ellis...he's solid, nothing great other than defense. Having a career year offensively, he's a keeper for next year.

SS-as of now, who knows, Crosby is IMO the worst hitter you'd want up there right now, over both Chavez and Kendall. Just in today's game against MIN, that K I called it from the start of the AB and then he K's on again a outside breaking ball.

3B-Chavez...he's gonna stay, doubt the A's can trade him. He'll never be the 35/110 type of bat I hoped he'd be but as a guy who can play great D and hit you 25/90, isn't bad, but the expectations makes you sad what could've been with him.

LF-Buck...IMO the most exciting player the A's brought up in a while. His D is very impressive as is his speed/baserunning, 3 things you don't think of when you talk about A's prospects.

CF-Kotsay...I'd love to keep Stewart over Kotsay because well, Stewart is playing better and he's a RIGHTY, but those two picks the A's will get probably will be too luxcrative to pass up...or even trading him within the next month.

RF-this is where I'd love to see the A's go after a FA RH stick. I guess Barton is the most likely candidate but do the A's need another LH hitter out here that really won't provide much pop? Barton maybe down the road hits 25+ HRs but not in his rookie season in 08.

DH-most like it's Cust, he's a huge question mark, again I think the A's NEED to add a big time RH bat in this lineup...either in RH or at DH. Is it a surprise the last two times the A's made the playoffs they had some RH pop with Tejada/Dye in 03 and last year with Thomas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:05 am:

OTF, I agree with most of what you say. I would prefer Stewart over Kotsay, too. Unfortunately, that leaves us without a center fielder. Swisher belongs at 1b and he prefers it, too, though he would never complain. He is outstanding defensively and I truly believe if he was left to settle at 1b, his offense will even get better.

Barton's defense sucks ... and that's at 1b, so thinking about putting him in the outfield is a long stretch (no pun intended). Heck, even Cust can probably play a better outfield and he belongs at DH, period. Cust will always be streaky, but when he's not, he's as good as any right handed power hitter. He actually hits lefties better than righties. I definitely agree they need to find a young solid right fielder. Not easy, unless you can offer Barton/Johnson/Calero (and they would take it) to the Rays and pick up one of their young outfielders ... that is, not named another injury waiting to happen, Baldelli.

The worst part of this all is the A's have no really good looking ss in their system. Crosby continues to suck and his stubborness continues to get in the way of his willingness and need to change his hitting approach. It's almost comical to see him come up to the plate and watch the opposing catcher immediately shift to the outside of the plate while Crosby continuously flails (hard) at the outside pitches. He's already said he is not changing his batting approach, following comments on his vicious swing possibly being responsible for past injuries. I'd actually rather see Kendall up with risp than Crosby, that's how little I think of the guy.

Speaking of Crosby, I think it is a shame Ellis suffered that shoulder injury 3 years ago, because he was a good ss; it is evident, however, the A's don't feel he can make that throw anymore. But he is the best defensive 2b in the game and a keeper, IMO.

I am not convinced Barton is the answer and I'm not convinced that he'll be much better than DJ ... certainly not defensively. While his numbers are not great, DJ has more power than Barton. I consider Barton to be a step above a Hatteberg type. And since that's a power hitting position and without a Tejada type, we have no infielder who can carry him, I'd just as soon see him dealt as I would DJ. This team has had too many DH/1b types for too long. Other than the DH, which looks to belong to Cust, they need a couple of POWER position players. And it's evident that even Chavez' 30 HR seasons, are diminishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:26 am:

Isn't it sad commentary on this team that Barton, long considered one of the A's top prospects, probably won't be able to help much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:27 am:

Oh, also, as much as I've thought of Suzuki's future here, I don't think his offense is going to be that much greater than Kendall's (the Kendall of the past, that is, not this season's Kendall). I think it is a real shame that Powell (who was coming on strong) is lost for the rest of this season and likely next. A switch hitter with bonafide power and they planned to have a tandem of him and Suzuki next season, so that's shot. I think Powell could be a bonafide catcher/DH/1b type. But, as it seems to be throughout our system, he can't stay healthy. As it is, Suzuki is going to have to concentrate so much on working with staff and his defense, any offense he gives ... at least next season ... will be a bonus. I just wouldn't look for him to be much of an offensive contributor in '08.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (24.5.81.129) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:53 pm:

I love Swisher but he is just sucking the big one right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.19.35) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:26 pm:

Yes, and he's not alone. Every ball hit by the A's is right at someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.19.35) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:56 pm:

Case in point, in the 9th, 2 men on, Ellis works the count to 3-2 and hits the ball hard -- smack into the RF's glove.

At least it won't be a shutout. (Haven't I said that recently?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.83.14) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 04:30 am:

Powell.

I too think Powell could've eventually passed Suzuki down the road for the starting C job. It's rare you see switch hitting C who has the amount of potential that Powell had and he was doing very well this year in the minors.

He was hitting .292/14/42/.912 in 236 ABs.

He'll turn 26 by the start of next season in 08, and probably won't get a chance in the bigs until mid-late 08 or even the start of 09..how much of a legit prospect is he at that age.

If he had stayed healthy, good chance he could've been the backup C/1B/DH next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 09:46 am:

Actually, I saw a note somewhere that it was intended that Powell was going to be the back up or catch in tandem with Suzuki, next season. It seems even our star minor leaguers are having horrible misfortune with the "injury bug." Really a shame and what a blow it has to be to those players especially so near to realizing their dream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.219) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:35 am:

I was excited about seeing this C in the lower minors, Recker, hit well, and he's a RH too.

But he's struggled bad since being moved up to Midland.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Anthony%2520Recker&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=489232

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:56 am:

You're right about Recker, otf.

Just looked at some of our minor league rosters to see what other shortstops we have. The answer is pretty much Cliff Pennington. The Ports don't have ANYONE listed as a SS. How is that possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.202.69) on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 04:37 pm:

SS? I think Pennington isn't the only SS avaiable.

Mentioned Melillo, Murphy, Furmaniak for a while now.

Pennington as of now is a good defensive with good instinct SS but not much with the bat. Although he's doing well the past 10 games hitting .325(11/40) with a HR and 4 RBIs...he's not going to be an improvement with the bat and isn't better than the trio of potential SS I named earlier.

As of now..Piazza, DJ, Kotsay, Kennedy, Calero...would like to see at least 3 of them gone before the deadline. None are long term answers for this team so why not try to get rid of them, anyway, anyhow, really don't care what you get back. Just clears cap space or a open space on the roster for a young player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.145) on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 05:21 pm:

Just call it-the A's are D.O.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.202.69) on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 05:30 pm:

Piazza, DJ, Kotsay, Kennedy, Calero, and Kielty.

If 4 or 5 of them are here after this month is over, I'm gonna seriously question Beane's mostives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.15.80) on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:08 pm:

"cap space"? What are you smoking, otf? There's no salary cap in baseball.

As far as Pennington, he is the only player listed on the Rivercats roster as a SS. That's not to say the other guys can't play SS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.95.240) on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:20 pm:

Alright not cap space but they are spending 80 million this year.

Most likely 80% of the vets on this team like Piazza, Kennedy, Calero, Duke, Kielty, and others won't be here next year so that should clear out close to 20-25 million of this year's salary for the team for next year's.

Next year's FAs from the OF are Rowand, Jones, Cameron, Hunter, Byrnes, Erstad, Patterson, B.Clark, Dunn,Cruz Jr, Floyd, Luiz Gonzalez, Preston Wilson, Wilkerson, Stewart, Abreu, Alou, Dye, Bradley, Hinske, Kielty, Sosa, Stairs, Nixon, and G.Jenkins.

FA wise, like the A's to take chances on the likes of a Rowand or Cameron...two veteran RH bats. No more getting "injury prone" players on the cheap like they did with Stewart, Thomas and to a certain extent both Bradley and Piazza. Beane needs to land some legit bats who you know will produce.

Maybe trade options like Milledge and Bay, according to Lurie could happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.228) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:05 pm:

No secret that the A's offense stinks...but these numbers made me cringe.

The A's hit .188 in their past 16 games while averaging 2.5 runs a game.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/07/23/SPG93R54DO1.DTL

Theere is just no way in hell a pitcher can get a win with that kind of support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:20 pm:

Saturdays first inning should have been more than a deuce, first 3 reach safely, Piazza single's one in, then Chavez kills it by slapping a weak double play grounder to plate a 2nd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.214) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:59 pm:

SAT's game definitely should've been a blowout by the A's.

Twice they had the bases loaded with less than two outs and only got one damn run out of those two scenerios.

The A's hitting stinks. Really are we surprised if you look at the #s...no high BA, no power, and no speed makes an awful offense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scottfrom0z (58.175.226.70) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 09:40 pm:

I just spent a week in Oakland and apart from the 6-0 win over Texas, all I got to see was an Oakland team which averaged about 3 hits per game. That included nearly being no hit by Bedard and Guthrie. So I arrive home in Australia today after a week of futile baseball which I travelled around the world to see.....and then I leave and the offense goes crazy against the LAA's today!!! Thanks A's for turning it on once I am out of town. At least I did get to experience that 4.2 earthquake.

By the way....if anyone saw a dude on Sundays day game which Baltimore beat us 2-0 in an old 49ers jersey with Deion Sanders #21 on the back....that was me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.11.6) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:08 pm:

You picked a bad week to be watching A's baseball! Hope you had a good trip otherwise.

Was that your first earthquake?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.