Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Selig claims two teams in financial jeopardy...can't meet payroll...any guesses?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Selig claims two teams in financial jeopardy...can't meet payroll...any guesses?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:11 pm:

Wednesday, July 10

Labor talkes to resume Thursday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- As baseball prepared to resume labor negotiations following an All-Star break dominated by talk of strike, steroids and stalemate, commissioner Bud Selig claimed a team may not be able to make payroll Monday.

Selig made the comment during an interview Wednesday in Milwaukee with the Houston Chronicle and other papers, saying during the session that a second team had so much debt that it might not finish the season.

Selig did not identify the teams he was referring to, and there was no way to corroborate his claims.

The Houston Chronicle reported in Thursday's editions that Selig might have arranged to keep the Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays alive financially this past winter, according to its industry sources. The commissioner didn't name which teams are in financial trouble, but said one of them "will surprise you," according to the paper.

Reached at his home Wednesday night, Selig refused to discuss the subject.

"I'm done. Major league baseball's credit lines are at the maximum,'' Selig was quoted as saying in the Chronicle. "We've done everything we can to help people by arranging credit lines. Frankly, at this point in time, we don't have that luxury anymore.

"If a club can't make it, I have to let 'em go. I'm a traditionalist, and I hate all that. It pains me to do it. I just don't have any more alternatives.''

The talks are to resume Thursday.

Players and owners have not held a full negotiating session since June 27, and are far apart on all the key issues: increase revenue sharing among teams, the owners' proposal for a luxury tax to slow payroll growth, random testing for steroids and other drugs, extending the amateur draft world wide, and management's attempt to change salary arbitration rules and eligibility.

On Monday, the union's executive board met in a Chicago suburb. While the board did not set a strike date then, it asked players on individual teams to give it authority to set one. If there is no progress in negotiations, the executive board is expected to call for baseball's ninth work stoppage, setting a walkout date for August or September.

Players and owners also await the upcoming ruling from arbitrator Shyam Das, who heard the grievance filed by the union, which claims management's attempt to fold the Minnesota Twins and Montreal Expos violated the previous labor contract, which expired Nov. 7.

Das has told the sides he will attempt to have a decision by Monday. Contraction was put off by Selig until after the 2002 season following a string of legal losses by baseball in the Minnesota courts, which ruled the Twins had to honor their 2002 lease in the Metrodome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:56 pm:

Well, he can't seem to bring off the contraction of two teams, so he's threatening to let two teams die a "natural" death.

Nothing this guy says or does surprises me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:57 pm:

I do not think is anybody on this coast...maybe Florida teams??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:09 pm:

The Giants?

Selig is mentally incompetent. I can't tell if this game he plays is weird, sick, or both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By parlay2k on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

D-Backs & D-Rays

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:29 pm:

Those were the teams I thought of, too, P-2K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:34 pm:

Somehow I think the Tigers and Diamondbacks could be the two teams. I read the Tigers' owner has a lot of trouble with his loans and the Diamonbacks were in trouble last year and brought in new investors but have a huge payroll.

But what we have to keep in mind is that the teams may be running in red but the owners can be far from bring poor and may be laughing all the way to the banks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:31 pm:

Why doesn't he contract them and put then out of their misery? Must have new stadiums. Phoenix and Detroit fit so does Pitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 11:21 pm:

Considering the source should we even buy into this? I think its just another red herring by Selig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 07:54 am:

Selig is so discredited by now that he is better off keeping his mouth shut during the labor negotiations.

And here's another Veeck special...following in his dad's footsteps

http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/s/2002/0710/1404146.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 08:53 am:

From today's USA Today:

Selig softens tone, but dire financial woes remain

By Hal Bodley, USA TODAY

MILWAUKEE — Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig toned down Wednesday night a claim that he made earlier in the day that one of the 30 major league teams might have trouble meeting payroll Monday.

Selig made the original remarks in a Wednesday session with reporters in Milwaukee. The Houston Chronicle, one of the papers represented, also reported in its Thursday editions that a second team has so much debt it might not be able to finish the season.

"This is essentially what I've been saying all along," Selig told USA TODAY from his home Wednesday night. "It's all been said before."

Selig, who refused to identify the teams facing problems, said the issue came up when he was asked if there were immediate problems.

"When I responded to that question, I said there was a possibility this one particular club would have trouble Monday," he said. "But I also said I think they're going to make it."

Selig reiterated Tuesday that he helped two teams get past serious cash flow problems last season. "There are some owners who think I should stop doing that," he said.

Selig met with bankers Tuesday afternoon before the All-Star Game.

"The debt is enormous," he said. "We cannot continue. Without a new economic system as many as six to eight teams could fail. Some owners think that number is conservative, but I'll stand by it."

As talks for a collective bargaining agreement resume in New York on Thursday, Selig said lines of credit are at the maximum.

"I'm done," he said. "We've done everything we can to help people by arranging credit lines. Frankly, at this point in time, we don't have that luxury anymore.

"If a club can't make it, I have to let 'em go. I'm a traditionalist, and I hate all that. It pains me to do it. I just don't have any more alternatives."

Selig said Tuesday that he is hopeful of eliminating two teams before next season.

Meanwhile, union chief Don Fehr, who's discussed labor negotiations with seven teams, will be in St. Petersburg, Fla., Thursday to meet with Tampa Bay Devil Rays officials. He said he hopes to meet with all 30 teams by the end of the month.

Players and owners have not held a full negotiating session since June 27, and are far apart on all the key issues: increase revenue sharing among teams, the owners' proposal for a luxury tax to slow payroll growth, random testing for steroids and other drugs, extending the amateur draft world wide, and management's attempt to change salary arbitration rules and eligibility.

On Monday, the union's executive board met in a Chicago suburb. While the board did not set a strike date then, it asked players on individual teams to give it authority to set one. If there is no progress in negotiations, the executive board is expected to call for baseball's ninth work stoppage, setting a walkout date for August or September.

Players and owners also await the ruling from arbitrator Shyam Das, who heard the grievance filed by the union, which claims management's attempt to fold the Minnesota Twins and Montreal Expos violated the previous labor contract, which expired Nov. 7.

Das has told the sides he will attempt to have a decision by Monday. Contraction was put off by Selig until after the 2002 season following a string of legal losses by baseball in the Minnesota courts, which ruled the Twins had to honor their 2002 lease in the Metrodome.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2002-07-10-labor.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:03 am:

Well, I still think one of the prime candidates for contraction should be Milwaukee. And since the Expos do have a clue with re to talent and developing said talent, they should then be moved into Milwaukee without any Seligs at the helm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:20 am:

Didn't I hear Peter Magowan claim at the end of the 2000 season that about only 4 of the MLB franchises actually make money, and in a moment of candor, he admitted the Giants weren't among that number? Of course, his solution was to eliminate certain franchises (his NOT included). It was fuzzy logic, because what he was implying with his argument was this: "My franchise is struggling, financially. Baseball should get rid of some franchises -- maybe like the A's, even though they seem to be financially sound, are run responsibly, and still field a competitive team -- so that my struggling franchise can enhance its chances of being viable."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:44 am:

From the USA article:

Selig, who refused to identify the teams facing problems, said the issue came up when he was asked if there were immediate problems.

"When I responded to that question, I said there was a possibility this one particular club would have trouble Monday," he said. "But I also said I think they're going to make it."

Selig reiterated Tuesday that he helped two teams get past serious cash flow problems last season. "There are some owners who think I should stop doing that," he said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:55 am:

Well, according to the latest on espn it appears the two teams are as everyone originally thought ... the D-Rays and the D-backs. They are now saying, however, that all payroll will be met on the 15th. I say, let them go under, add the Brewers and move the Expos to Milwaukee ... but not under Selig's ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:42 am:

So, the two aren't Minnesota and Montreal....

Selig's backtracking comments reported in USA Today suggest that even he isn't quite sure what the situation is ("I said there was a possibility this one particular club would have trouble Monday," he said. "But I also said I think they're going to make it.") This all sounds rather "iffy" to me.

For Selig to make such shocking comments on what apparently is flimsy information, and to say as he did initially that "There are two franchises in trouble, but I'm not telling you which ones -- that's my little secret," is incredibly irresponsible and incompetent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fanamy on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:46 am:

Would someone PLEASE just send the white jackets to get this amazingly insane person (Buddy Boy) and put him, and us, out of our collective misery!!!>???? I am almost speechless at his apparent inability to live in the real world. He almost looks like another dictator that I won't mention. I think y'all will get who I mean. It's scary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 12:58 pm:

What's truly sad and scary, fanamy, is that Mad Bud will likely have something to say about the future of our beloved Athletics. That's what really ticks me off. I wouldn't trust this guy to watch my cat for the weekend, let alone entrust him with the heritage of my favorite baseball team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

Yea, and he won't give the answer of who these teans are. Talk about a dictator-he really loves people sweating it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:06 pm:

With every passing word flowing from Slughead's mouth, I'm amazed this guy was able to sell any cars. Only one word suits him: Pathetic. He is the worst thing to hit baseball in decades, if not ever. In fact, to hit any sport, period. No wonder this guy's teams were always so lousy; he doesn't have a clue with re to leadership/mgmnt attributes. Nor does he have any kind of vision allowing him to look over the entire picture while being able to compromise and negotiate. As for Fehr who exhibits some of the same problems ... his "failure" to do so comes from pure selfishness and greed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

...and to think Pete Rose is banned from baseball for life...At least Pete never suggested "contraction." (He may have wagered on it, though.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 01:44 pm:

The reports are the teams that have been bailed out to meet payroll, if there were any for real, were Tampa Bay and Detroit who I guess would be the "surprise" team. If any of this is true kinda debunks Bud's ongoing theory that teams can only survive with a new ballpark when apparantly a team that got a new ballpark just last year can't survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 07:36 pm:

I read today Disney is ready to take a big time loss to sell the Angels that comes with the big-A stadium, they had them for sale for 300 mill couldn't get a buyer now reports today they have droped 100 million off the price tag and i think again it comes with the staduim.

If disney is getting out at all cost even with their big so-cal market you think this sport is in danger of extintion lil? oh yea !

If the people running this game are losing so much money why don't they just not pay these players any money ,why are they paying the employyess more $$$ than the owners are getting i mean the indians are running the tribe for fregen sakes, that is if they really are losing this kind of money.

I do not believe the A's will ever get a staduim deal(if detroit is losing moeny with the new staduim do you think the city of oakland is going to finance a deal?) untill baseball corrects itself and we just might need the mother of all strikes for it to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 08:24 pm:

Sacto, you make it sound like the plan is for the city to just give the A's a stadium. The city of Oakland is not going to "finance" a deal. The redevelopment money is already allocated. There may be new user/"sin" taxes, but no money is going to come out of the general fund. There will be corporate sponsors, naming rights, and whatever the owners put in. It will be a partnership or nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 09:51 am:

Why doesn't he just let these team go bankrupt and solve the contraction issue by natural selection. If the D-backs are one, they overspent their means and the other teams should not be subsidizing their debt problems with revenue sharing. If its any of the other teams, Bud probably had them on his secret list anyway. But no, Bud just let's them go on accumulating all this debt and expects the players and the fans to have some sympathy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By voxhoo on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

Selig's game is not hard to figure out. Johnny Damon, now the Red Sox player's rep said it best. Paraphrasing: Every measure Selig backs seems to benefit the Brewers.

Selig doesn't care who is in trouble financially. He'll use it only for labor negotiations which helps his Brewers.

He doesn't want the Dbacks out because they generated $125 mil. in revenue. He wanted the Twins out because they generated $56 mil. He's pushing for 50% sharing of local revenue. In this case Dbacks good, make money for Brewers, Twins evil, take money from Brewers.

In fact, if he could have his way, he'd want every team with lower revenues than the Brewers contracted. That list would be: Toronto, Montreal, Minnesota, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Oakland, Florida, Tampa, Anaheim, and San Diego. Might be missing a few. That way the Brewers would get the largest amount of revenue sharing, Seligian Utopia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

Again may i ask how a guy can be commish when it is apparent he has a vested interest in 1 of the baseball teams.

Puting the team in a trust for his daughter is so blantant that this is his team and even so it is his daughters awww family members hello!!!!seems that this violates some kind of comish rule i think that someone who wants this guy out can sue on this principle alone, how can he be partial? can yo imagine if magowen were commish or had it in his daughter trust yea the A's would be dust in the wind.

anyone got any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kenarneson on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 12:38 am:

How a guy can be commish when he has a vested interest in 1 of the baseball teams?

Easy. The commissioner is simply the CEO of baseball. Can you name any CEO of any corporation who isn't an owner of the business he/she runs?

If you read Marvin Miller's autobiography about how he created this country's most powerful union, he never for one second believed that the commissioner was some kind of impartial king. He always assumed that the commissioner was working on behalf of management.

I'm glad the owners finally dropped the pretension that the commish was anything other than the CEO. What I don't get is, when the owners have been getting their heads handed to them for 30 years, they hired the one guy who's been there for 30 years as part of the problem.

Selig is obviously visionless. He seems to be simply trying one bad idea after another in hopes that one of those ideas turns out to be a good idea and they can defeat the union.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 09:24 am:

Fay Vincent has an axe to gring but he is correct when he says that Selig has lost all credibility.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0714/1405683.html

and Peter Gammons has started to smell the blood in the waters and like a good shark, has started to circle around for the mediot kill...

http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0714/1405564.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 09:08 pm:

meanwhile, it looks like the owners found a new way to contract...go belly up for a good price...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/sportoon/020715.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 09:35 pm:

Here's a shot in the dark: Toronto (dumping Mondesi for cash? No multiple prospect deal? Hmm…)
Florida (Enough said)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:08 pm:

I think since the eventual plan is to move the Expos to some where in the U.S. that the Blue Jays are safe as I'm sure MLB wants to still have a team in Canada.

Actually none of this matters cause there isn't gonna be contraction and no team is going under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.