Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

kietly dfa'd?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: kietly dfa'd?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (68.55.128.230) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:05 pm:

I just read on another board that kielty was dfa'd - no official word yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:13 pm:

If a Kielty falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (71.198.21.6) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:33 pm:

I read today, from a couple of sources, that Boston was interested in Kielty. I can't imagine why, unless they want to give the Yankers a fighting chance in the division race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.214) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 06:03 pm:

Well it's gonna be a Kielty for another fringe SP/bullpen arm in AA or AAA I believe.

Kielty was making 2.1 million this year? That's another contract off the books after this season thank goodness. You could've gotten his production from somebody in the minors like a Putnam.

Keep selling these vets off Beane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.29.81.189) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 06:25 pm:

Well, when they activated Street, they took Kielty off the active roster.

So, who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.29.81.189) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 06:27 pm:

As well as the 40-man roster.

He's a goner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 (68.54.5.38) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 07:06 pm:

finley ... isn't the bigger question, if Booby Kielty fell in the forest, would his fire red hair set the woods on fire ?

Booby Kielty ... thanks for a couple memories ... you were all we had to show for Jeremy Bonderman (A's got Ted Lilly in the Bonderman trade, then later traded Lilly for Booby)

anywho, Booby ... please take Booby Crosby with you on your way out ... Booby Kielty, you were colorful, while Booby Crosby is simply a CLOWN !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 05:19 pm:

Rumors...

Kielty-for-Pineiro swap makes some sense
Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 5:35 pm EDT

The Boston Red Sox have interest in veteran outfielder Bobby Kielty, who was designated for assignment by the Oakland Athletics on Monday. The Sox aren't likely to do anything unless they can first move Wily Mo Pena. Right now, it looks like interest in Pena is minimal.

Kielty, who is a free agent after the season, missed most of this season with a calf injury and batted only .200 with three RBI in 13 games for the A's. A Kielty-for-Joel Pineiro (also designated for assignment) deal might help both sides if a taker can be found for Pena.

Source: Boston Herald

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.81.49) on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:12 pm:

What happened to Pinero? The guy just in 03 won 16 gamess and looked like a future ace, and now he's gonna be released for the second time in his career.

I wouldn't mind getting him. He will turn 29 later this season in SEP...why not try to salvage his career here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:20 am:

Amazing anyone would want Kielty.

Pineiro has a $4 million contract, so Boston would have to kick in some cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:44 am:

Typical things derail a young career, injuries, Pineiro was a great pitcher when healthy, then got hurt and never recovered. Pitcher 2 brilliant seasons, then in 2004, started slow, finally discoverd an elbow injury and boom that was it. Red Sox wanted to give him a shot as a closer on a 1 year 4 million dollar deal, but some time in March, they decided to keep Papelbon in that role. The guy seems healthy, probably a mechanical thing he never got fixed. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on the guy see how he does the remainder of the season, then give him a minimal deal next season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.4) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:59 pm:

Getting him out of the hell hole of sports media and expectation in BOS could help too.

A's have given pitchers second and third chances before...so I wouldn't mind giving him a shot too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.68.211) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 07:13 pm:

What's taking so long with this propsed Kielty for Pinerio swap?

Been a week and we only got until this THR to get a deal done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 09:25 pm:

A's are not interested in Piniero. Sox are trying to get Dye from the White Sox, so I suspect any interest they had in Kielty is pretty much diminished, unless they can't get someone better. I suspect there is little interest for Kielty out there, in spite of what Forst says, or for that matter, little interest for Kennedy, Johnson or Piazza. About the only club who might have interest in Piazza is the Twins who are right now on the cusp of whether to sell or to buy. I would not be surprised to see the A's running the same guys out there Wednesday ... except for Kielty that is, who will likely be a FA come Thursday. The talent on our team ... exclusive of our starters, Swisher and Buck, is so mediocre, they can't even get a bucket of balls for most of it, let alone another team picking up any portion of the players' salaries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.20.181.72) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:08 pm:

I want one of those young Dodger outfielders, either Kemp or Ethier. I'd be willing to deal Blanton, Dinardo and Stewart, for Chad Billingsley and either Kemp, Ethier or Loney (I'll take anyone of them). What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer (71.139.184.115) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:15 pm:

ethier lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.94.173) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:23 pm:

Watched on BBTN and Gammons said that Kielty maybe sent to the Cubs?

Why wouldn't teams other than MIN be intersted in either Piazza or Stewart right now, especially Piazza who is a proven RH vet stick with power?

Piazza ever since coming back has been torrid hot..

-.400(14/35), 2 HRs, 11 RBIs, 1.000+ OPS

...since coming off the DL and has a hit in 7 straight games now.

Stewart, I can understand if they don't trade him because they'll get two picks for him in next year's draft but his stock is as high as it's been in years with him hitting over .300 in each month since April and since May, he's hitting .328. But I guess if the A's don't get a top 5 caliber prospect in return, they'd settle to keep him and wait for those picks next year in the draft.

Kennedy? Well I hope they trade him, a team should be able to want a vet LH. Not even asking for much, but with him gone, I would hope then Meyer would be given a chance up here soon as he's doing very well in AAA Sac with a 6-1 record and a 3.57 ERA and K'ed 10+ in 3 of his past 10 starts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 (64.160.39.12) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:30 pm:

I think you could add Stewart to the list of players earning there keep.

Aside from Swish/Buck we do have some young talented guys. Ellis for a 2nd baseman is good with the stick and we don't even have to mention his D.

Suzuki, although a bit rushed, I think will blossom into a good if not great C who can hit.
I see Cust as a long term DH/spot OF.

The big question is if Barton can hit at this level and will his D be equal to or worse than DJ's? If it is at least equal and he can hit for average then that could be a solution.

Next we will see what Donnie Murphy can do the remainder of the season at SS. Maybe next ST he & Crosby can compete for the starting job.

3rd is locked up by Mr. Headcase but at least he saves games with his D.

Buck & Swish can be the long term LF & RF but who will be the long term CF after Kotsay is done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 09:39 am:

I've been impressed by Murphy so far. E-Lo is supposed to be back in a week or so. Hopefully, he'll pitch decently. If Meyer pans out (big IF), we should at least have a decent rotation next season.

It's a sad realization, but deajay is correct. This is a team sorely short of talent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 01:54 pm:

Just reading that the White Sox want too much from the Red Sox from Dye, so could be their interest in Kielty will be renewed. I also saw ... as mentioned above ... where the Cubs could have some interest.

There is no way the Dodgers will deal Billingsley and if they're dealing with anybody, I'm sure Ethier is the first offer they will make to send as part of a deal. I think Ethier hit his peak last season .. albeit his rookie year. I would hope Beane has no interest, because I don't think there is that much upside with him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 04:36 pm:

Agree DJ. The Bradley/Ethier deal that has generated so much criticism among A's faithful, needs to be evaluated like all trades, IMO, over several seasons not just one.

The book is closed on MB's contribution to the A's, now let's see what Ethier does for the Dodgers.

Same can be said for the Hudson to Braves trade. Dan Meyer can make that a long term win or at least even trade, with some good future work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:24 pm:

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if the A's shouldn't have also DFA'd Kennedy and Johnson. In fact, if they did that today, that would in effect extend the trading deadline for them for another 10 days, would it not? And when some of the clubs desperate needing help, don't fill their needs by tomorrow, maybe they will be desperate to deal for these guys???? Don't know for sure how that would work with the deadline being tomorrow, but ... The worst that can happen is they lose them, bring up Barton and bring up Meyer. Why not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:54 pm:

Ding! Ding! They can put them on waivers after the deadline, same thing. Oh well, guess I was trying to make up some new rules or circumvent the current ones. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.92.10) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 07:37 pm:

I'd do the Bradley-Ethier deal 10 out of 10 times if it meant the A's would FINALLY have gotten out of the first round which Bradley played a huge role in not only getting them into the playoffs last year with a great second half, but also had some key hits in both playoff series last year.

I said I didn't mind trading Ethier last year because I read the A's liked Buck more and so far, I'd take Buck over Ethier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 08:57 pm:

Agree, OTF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:22 am:

Definitely agree, OTF. The A's got a 5 tool player who was big in getting us to the playoffs. I only wish he wasn't injured so often and they would have consequently offered him an extension. But it wasn't to be. I think Buck is several steps above Ethier and is going to be a star, period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.20.177.83) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:26 am:

It'll be interesting to see how desperate the Dodgers are going to be to get another pitcher. I have a feeling the A's make out on the Dodgers tomorrow.

I hope we can get Matt Kemp, that would be really nice. So in a couple of years we could have Buck, Barton, Blanton, Swisher, Kemp entering their prime as the first five in our lineup. WOW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:30 am:

Like Kershaw, I'm sure Kemp is a non-touchable, but they could get LaRoche and prospects. I'd love to see a good looking young ss prospect included, if they have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.92.10) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 02:17 am:

SS prospects? You don't think the likes of Petit, Pennington, or even Murphy are solid SS down the road if Crosby shows he's not the answer?

I don't see how the Dodgers would give up two position prospect, one of their best potentially in Laroche along with another good looking IF prospect.

I think Laroche and maybe Kershaw would be enough to get the deal done for Blanton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 08:38 am:

I love Petit and have already stated am watching him closely, with interest. But like Pennington, he is still a prospect. Though I'm hoping he continues to do well at AAA for the next month, warranting at least a looksee in ST. Bottom line: Can never have too many ss prospects, given Miggy's replacement was obviously soooo overrated.

As far as Kershaw, he is only 19 and at least a couple/few seasons away. Beane wants a close to major league ready pitcher in the deal, which the Dodgers evidently don't have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 06:05 am:

Kielty released.

Too bad, I know a lot are ripping Beane for bring back Kielty but he had a very good last year for the A's as a RH platoon hitter.

His 06 #s as a RH...

.325/7/21/.965 in 117 ABs

..pretty damn good so I really don't blame Beane for bringing him back especially when the A's were lacking good RH pop both in the starting lineup and especially the bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 06:07 am:

Kielty released.

Too bad, I know a lot are ripping Beane for bring back Kielty but he had a very good last year for the A's as a RH platoon hitter.

His 06 #s as a RH...

.325/7/21/.965 in 117 ABs

..pretty damn good so I really don't blame Beane for bringing him back especially when the A's were lacking good RH pop both in the starting lineup and especially the bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 07:54 am:

Signed minor league contract with Red Sox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.220) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 03:58 pm:

It's painfully obvious that we need right handed power. Why don't we go get Wily Mo Pena? I know he strikes out a lot, but would we rather he pop up a lot. Why does it matter how the out is made. Whenever he gets at bats he goes deep pretty often. He cant buy playing time in Boston. This A's team is so damned boring right now. Lets get someone who is a threat to hit the ball to Berkely every time up. Thats fun. Lets stop relying on relics to be our right handed pop, lets get a young power stud and make this team interesting again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 04:22 pm:

I AGREE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.70.41) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 04:32 pm:

A's had a chance this past offseason to and a young RH power bat as the rumor was Blanton for Rios from TOR, supposely the A's rejected the deal.

If they rejected and that's true, then they made a huge mistake and I said it at that time too even though Rios was coming off a major injury but you couldn't look past what he did when he was healthy and that was putting up huge #s and this year, he left off from where he was before the injury in 06.

Who is that RH bat the A's will have next season? I doubt it's coming from the minors anytime soon unless somebody like Hererra explodes...do we really think somebody like Snelling will be a 25-30 HR type and that's if he can stay healthy...can the A's land a RH veteran stick in FA, I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.70.41) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 04:32 pm:

A's had a chance this past offseason to and a young RH power bat as the rumor was Blanton for Rios from TOR, supposely the A's rejected the deal.

If they rejected and that's true, then they made a huge mistake and I said it at that time too even though Rios was coming off a major injury but you couldn't look past what he did when he was healthy and that was putting up huge #s and this year, he left off from where he was before the injury in 06.

Who is that RH bat the A's will have next season? I doubt it's coming from the minors anytime soon unless somebody like Hererra explodes...do we really think somebody like Snelling will be a 25-30 HR type and that's if he can stay healthy...can the A's land a RH veteran stick in FA, I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.220) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 05:28 pm:

We should have did that deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:17 am:

I would like Wily Mo. He would be a great RH DH/OF option along with Cust who is a LH batter. WMP sucks in the field, but has a decent arm. He's best suited for DH duties. But this team needs power and I think those two platooning at DH/OF would be a VERY affordable power punch that this team needs.

If WMP had close to a full season of pretty regular ab's he could hit 25 homers easily, maybe more. I wish we would just do this.

It makes it harder with Kotsay there. If they could move Kotsay (which probably won't happen) then we can have Denorfia/Snelling in CF and save some of that cash. It allows an OF of Buck, Snelling/Denorfia, Cust/WMP and Swish at first.

But it really only works if Kotsay could be moved and I just don't see it, sadly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 09:31 am:

Another mistake by BB. Giving that long term, big money contract to Kotsay. When has this ever worked out for the A'S? Stick to 1 or maybe 2 years at the most contracts with incentives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:17 am:

Going on nothing more substantial than body language and a few newspaper quotes, I think Kots is unhappy. Unhappy with his play, unhappy with his playing time (as a result of his play), and unhappy with the A's bail-on-the-season moves (sending his buddy, Kendall, packing was especially galling to Mark).

He has been suspected to be a shit disturber (or outspoken leader if prefered) in the clubhouse. His A's future is cloudy at best. He's got a contract thru '08 but he wants to play, particularly in his contract year.

It would not surprise me to see Kots clear waivers and be sent for next to nothing to the Cubs, Angels, or Pads. I think he has a NO TRADE but I believe he would waive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:36 am:

I heard on the broadcast last night that Kotsay's back is really bothering him, thus the 3-day layoff. Maybe he'll retire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:01 pm:

Kotsay won't retire, would you walk away from that kind of money.....hahaha one of the reasons why we'll see Bonds in the AL.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.