Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Goleski

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Goleski
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:21 pm:

Remember him from ST? Has anyone heard where he is and how he is doing? I thought it was a mistake when the A'S gave him back to the Indians, The A'S always could use some pop from the right side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.32.186) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:34 pm:

Ryan Goleski is with the AA Akron Aeros, batting .256.

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
.256 97 352 43 90 15 3 7 50 132 43 78 8 8 .335 .375 .710

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.78.237) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:51 pm:

Wonder if trading Piazza, who is red hot with the bat could land us a young RH prospect.

I'm bringing up the name Milledge again. Anybody seeing how well he's doing with the NYM since being called up again this year?

Hit his 3rd HR this month and curently is at...

-.280/3/12/.840 in 43 ABs.

Stockwise, Milledge's won't be much higher especially if the NYM are looking to deal him for more help.

I know some don't think highly of Milledge but I'd love to take a chance on still a 22 year old kid who probably would easily be the A's best RH hitting prospect.

Piazza, Stewart, Kennedy, Calero, maybe even Blanton if you believe some rumors from some "insiders" that Beane really doesn't want to give him an extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:01 pm:

Thank you, ey. I guess he wasn't ready for Bigs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.109) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:08 am:

"Goleski"

The talk at the time was that Cleveland had no plans for the young prospect because they were full up with outfielders. He expressed great bitterness at the Indians not letting him stay with Oakland, as he knew that they would bury him in their system. It was speculated that Hudge had something to do with this by recommending that the team keep him (and his hitting potential) over working something out with the A's. I hope not.

It's hard to put up glowing numbers when you're angry and demoralized.

At any rate, I heard Dave Forst say on the radio that the A's really tried to work something out to keep him, and he felt that Goleski needed very little time in triple A to be major league ready.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.109) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:15 am:

“Milledge”

I for one am glad that the A's currently have enough outfielders, as I would have a hard time continuing to support them if they went out and got Lastings Milledge. After his recent participation in a hate (with racist and sexist slurs and insults) and degradation filled rap record called “On Your Knees" (according to the May 16, 2007 online New York Daily- I don’t have the link, just the copied text), I found myself fresh out of excuses for this faux gangsta punk.
--------------------------------------------------------
From the above mentioned Daily, concerning Milledge and the New York City Council’s resolution of condemnation of his abhorrent message:

… Milledge, who ticked off Met teammates last season with his on and off-the-field antics, has taken poor judgment to a new level, performing on a rap song that would make Don Imus blush…

"He's lost his mind," said City Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-Queens), who sponsored the Council's {resolution of condemnation}... "I don't understand how he could, in the spirit of Jackie Robinson, put out music that's so vile, using ... some of the worst words in music."

Milledge was expelled from Northside Christian School in 2003 for having sex with a 15-year-old girlfriend and agreed to enroll in a juvenile arbitration program to avoid prosecution. Soon after the Mets drafted Milledge in 2003, the Daily News reported that he had been accused of having consensual sex with 12 and 13-year-old girls as well, which led to his expulsion from school.

Milledge made his big-league debut last May and immediately rubbed some teammates the wrong way by showing up late and high-fiving fans down the right field line after hitting a home run…

"I don't know what kind of fan base he's trying to attract by denigrating women," Comrie said. "He needs some sensitivity training."
----------------------------------------------------------

His chronic and arrogant disrespect for the game, his teammates, the fans, and the community makes him a bad catch, literally. I don't want to further empower his behavior, lifestyle, and personal bigotries, by helping to pay his salary. There are plenty of talented young players out there, if the A’s are truly committed to acquiring one. We don’t have to help a team out that’s showcasing a mistake in order to get rid of him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 (71.141.195.166) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:57 am:

Consensual sex at 12 & 13 WOW! Isn't that like STATUTORY...gulp...RAPE! But can he hit & what's his OBP??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 01:31 pm:

That's not, um, "like" statutory rape -- the line is drawn at anyone under 18. That's f--king insane. He should be locked up for years if it's true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 01:49 pm:

Cleveland just picked up Lofton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.224) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 04:15 pm:

Milledge definitely has a ugly past off the field when he was still a teenager, but I'd still be willing to take him off the NYM hands and hope when he's in his mid to late 20s, his maturity and mental makeup will be a lot better.

Hopefully a change of scenerio will do him good and getting him out of NYC will soften him up.

I don't know, aren't A's fans always made that Beane goes after the safe, boring, and non-exciting players. Now taking out what Milledge has done off the field, I have no problems what he's done on the field so far in his major league career...showing up late isn't exactly the worst thing in the world and what he did by high fiving the fans down the line I have no problems with especially when it was done against SF.

I'd still take a chance on a 22 year old who has as more potential as a player over most A's prospects not named Buck or Barton. Who knows, maybe Milledge will be sort of a RH version of a Buck...young exciting bat.

Really I'd take the likes of a Milledge over what the A's would offer next year if no move is made in Snelling/DeNorfia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:36 am:

We did give up Ethier for Bradley and we saw how that turned out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:57 am:

At least Andrew Brown has pitched well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 02:03 pm:

Well, today's NJ Ledger says that the Mets called Beane (again) re a deal for Blanton but Mets can't afford to deal Milledge with their injuries. I believe Beltran is also headed to the DL. Does anybody feel sorry for them? Not! I see where Randolph is publicly crying because of all their injuries. Good thing he isn't the A's manager, he probably would have had to seek counselling.

Something about these spend-free organizations like the two NY teams crying about their injuries just rankles me. They have the wherewithal to make just about any move they want to make. Since when have they let injuries stop them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 02:09 pm:

If Willie were the A's manager, they would have had to talk him down from the GG Bridge!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.