Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Trade deadline

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Trade deadline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:20 am:

Piazza is one of very few players on this team worth watching. I hope he stays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:31 am:

This is from the MLB website:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/trade_deadline/teamrumors_07.jsp?loc=al

There are still grumblings about DH Mike Piazza, who is in a one-year deal, ending up with Minnesota, but most likely it would be the Angels as the A's try to get something for his expiring contract. Shannon Stewart also has a one-year deal but rumors of him being traded have cooled off. There is no secret that Bobby Kielty is available after he was designated for assignment, but trade talks with Boston have cooled and another suitor has yet to step to the forefront. It is also very much known that the A's are willing to part with LHP Joe Kennedy and there has been word that three NL teams -- the Dodgers, Brewers and Phillies -- are interested in him because of his ability to start and relieve. -- Matt Smith

Interesting -- the OTHER Joe is the only one mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:33 am:

And from the transaction wire:

Boston Red Sox
Traded RHP Joel Pineiro and cash considerations to the St. Louis Cardinals for a player to be named later.

So much for the Kielty-for-Pineiro rumor...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:00 am:

With Saltalamacchia going to the Rangers what does it mean to Melhuse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.243.51.221) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:53 am:

With Saltalamacchia going to the Rangers what does it mean to Melhuse?

He'll be third string instead of second string.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.124) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:51 pm:

Nothing is happening.

Yawn....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:54 pm:

Usually there is a lag (past the official deadline) before the public announcements are made. Let's hope so!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 01:41 pm:

PLEEASE let it be so. This team is so boring I'm beginning to think Frankie Menechino might even liven things up. Him and his squirt-gun-by-the-pool, good-time buddies...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.228) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 01:46 pm:

Looks like no deals. Every year there are a hundred thousand fan posts on the internet regarding deadline deals, and there are only a few minor deals, and one major deal actually comsumated.
Fans then post a hundred thousand posts about deals that should have been made.

This pattern will be repeated next July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 01:49 pm:

Texas has apparently sent Gagne to the Red Sox. Talk about the rich getting richer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 02:12 pm:

"PLEEASE let it be so. This team is so boring I'm beginning to think Frankie Menechino might even liven things up. Him and his squirt-gun-by-the-pool, good-time buddies..."

Speaking of the Munchkin, I was listening to the Portland Beavers-New Orleans Zephyrs AAA game this morning and Frankie Menechino hit a 2-run bomb for Portland.

BTW, Hiram Bocachica is on that same Padres AAA team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 02:16 pm:

I can't believe he's still playing!

That was Cust's former team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 02:30 pm:

The Rangers came out smelling like roses. They have really boosted their system with some potentially good players. They made the most of dealing their big names in the return they got.

So, perhaps the A's (since they did nothing) can remain out of the cellar this season. The next few seasons may be a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 05:57 pm:

The best we can now expect is a August waiver deal for Piazza and/or Stewart and/or Kennedy.

Not very likely and frankly, I'd love to have both Piazza and Stewart back next year if we can move DJ and possibly, Kots in the offseason to make room.

The A's will probably just let em go and collect the draft picks but this is what it could look like with those guys back:

Cust can DH/RF a little.
Buck becomes a regular.
Stew mans left.
Denorfia/Snelling/Kots battle it out for CF
Swish becomes lb

This allows Barton to remain in AAA to work on D. Sounds like his bat is ready for the show but he can maybe solidify a defensive position for an '09 debut when Kots' and others' contracts would be off the books.

lF Stewart
2b Elly
rf Buck
lb Swish
dh Piazza
3b Chavy
c Suzuki
cf Kots
ss Crosby

Cust, Snelling, Denorfia, Scooter, Bowen(?)

Wow. Just looking at what I wrote ....I'm boring myself with this '08 look....Hunter/Rowand/Jones need to be inserted into this mix. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar (69.92.118.159) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 06:06 pm:

Sounds good to me.. except I really really want Barton to start with us next year. I think he's more than ready and honestly I'll take what I can get right now (and to be fair that will likely include shoddy at times defense)

I also wouldn't mind seeing Crosby gone.. same with Harden. Harden won't ever be healthy and Crosby's just a joke. Showed so much potential as a rookie and since then... nothing.

While I'm add it get rid of Chavez as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 08:26 pm:

Frankie: yeah, (sigh) I know. I live in Portland. The team's the worst in the PCL, although Frankie's not doing too poorly down here. I need to get myself to a game soon as I think Hiram's an exciting AAA player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 08:36 pm:

Add Shea Hillenbrand to the list of new Portland Beavers. Sorry for the thread hijack -- just too exciting to pass up. Right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.187) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 08:48 pm:

Can we agree to never let Cust play leftfield, please???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:20 pm:

That was sad. I hadn't thought he was THAT bad. But give him credit for redeeming himself with his bat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.187) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:24 pm:

Nice comeback win!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:35 pm:

Buck, Suzuki, Barton, Meyer...lets see these guys develop over the next few months I guess is the huge thing to watch for with the A's now.

Also, lets see Haren finish up strong and have a chance to win the AL Cy Young.

Will Chavez win his 8th straight gold glove and can Ellis who was robbed last year, win a gold glove in 07.

Beane is gonna have to have one hell of an offseason in trades of FA signings to get this thing turned around quickly soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 06:15 am:

According to several sources, the Dodgers made two serious runs at Joe Blanton, and the teams nearly completed a deal Tuesday morning but couldn't find the right fit.

A team source confirmed that the Dodgers had some reservations about the fact that Blanton's performance has dropped off since a 122-pitch complete game against Toronto on July 3, and the source also confirmed that the A's wanted to include Class A shortstop Ivan De Jesus Jr. in any deal, but the Dodgers did not want to part with the defensive whiz.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/01/AS.TMP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.48) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 06:16 am:

From the above article also...

One agent said that Oakland was wise to hang onto Piazza past Tuesday's deadline -- if he gets through waivers and a major contender has a hitter go down with an injury, general manager Billy Beane might get a substantial offer.

"Can you imagine what Boston would give Oakland for Piazza if they lost David Ortiz?'' the agent asked.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/01/AS.TMP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:13 am:

Also, the Twins are only 6 games out and they have stated they are not sellers. When Piazza goes on waivers, if things stay status quo, I would expect the Twins to try to do a deal. But will Piazza ok it since they are not a coastal team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:50 am:

Apparently, Johann Santana is pissed at the Twins for standing pat during the deadline. AL Central and West contenders seem like the losers of trading deadline at this moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:13 am:

That's a good point re: a hitter getting hurt. I didn't think of that scenario specifically - but did mention to a friend that I thought it was possible for Piazza to get through waivers after the deadline.

However, in the scenario of say, ortiz getting hurt and the Sox wanting Piazza: all that happens is that piazza goes on the waivers. If he's making 8 million this year, lets pretend that he would be owed, at the time of being claimed, 2 million. And THAT IS IT. So a team low on the standing could claim in for $2million and collect a couple picks. It's not a defnite, but it could certainly happen. It's not like, say $4 million or more. It's not chump change I understand, but it's possibly a reasonable amount that some team may want to pay to have piazza for a couple months and collect some draft picks. More so, lets say it was like, Kansas City - they could very safely offer arbitration to Piazza cause you know he won't accept it to stay there - then they get the picks.

Again, thinking too much, but there it is. Not sure that he will get through waivers the farther this goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.132) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 04:13 pm:

As for the LA trade that didn't happen, the A's know exactly who the dodgers are willing to part with, and if Loaiza has a good second half, who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.28) on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:51 pm:

Looks as the A's made another trade.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/SPORTS02/70813033/1050/rss15

Supposely he's supposed to be a good defensive 3B prospect even though he's a listed 2B for some reason? Not a young guy at 27, but a nice replacement for Chavez at 3B most likely. Does this mean Scutaro's playing time decreases with Hannahan's arrival.

Too bad he's ANOTHER lefty, I swear Beane has it for all these lefty prospects as most of the A's top hitting prospects the past few years like a Ethier, Buck, Barton, and etc are LH.

With DET's AAA team, he hit .295/13/63/.898 in 336 AB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.28) on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:07 pm:

Interesting article about Hannahan from a blog...

Jack Hannahan Hidden Hitter

Jack Hannahan is another Honorable Mention for the 2007 Ken Phelps All-Star Team. The 27-year-old thirdbaseman was drafted out of the University of Minnesota in the 3rd round of the 2001 draft by the Tigers. He's in his third season at AAA in the organization.

This year he's hitting .313/.422/.493 in 201 at bats, which is very good. Last season Hannahan hit .282/.379/.412, which is decent.

But those overall stats are hiding something more interesting. Hannahan hits righthanders. He can't touch lefthanded-pitching, but he mashes the righties. Against RHP this year: .342/.449/.529 with 11 doubles, 6 home runs and 31 walks in 155 at bats. Against LHP: .217/.333/.370. The story was the same last year too. Against RHP: .312/.406/.447 with 22 doubles, 6 home runs and 47 walks in 295 at bats, but against LHP he flailed to .205/.317/.320.

Jack Hannahan is a major league hitter, as long as he's in a platoon.

Unlike most Phelps players, Hannahan's defensive reputation at 3B is excellent. From the 2005 Baseball Prospectus: "Hannahan's defense is Rolenesque according to both scouting reports and our translated numbers, so he'd have an excellent shot at winning the AL Gold Glove if promoted to the big leagues this year."

Hannahan has a top-notch glove and against righthanded-pitching he gets on-base and hits with doubles power. That's worth a lot. He could help a team like the Twins, and coincidentally is from Minnesota. Platoon him at 3B with a lefty-masher (like Scott Seabol, Bobby Scales or even Jeff Cirillo) and you might have a home-town hero in the making.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.