Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

What's with Cust?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: What's with Cust?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.26.204) on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:48 am:

Thank goodness for Jack Cust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar (69.92.118.159) on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:07 pm:

He has 2 more homeruns tonight for 20 on the year.

Pretty remarkable considering he didn't come here and start playing until over a month into the season.

He has a shot at 30 homeruns and close to 100 rbi's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar (69.92.118.159) on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:19 pm:

Sorry for the double post but forgot to mention:

If he had the at-bats, he would also be among the top five or six in The American league in ops, top 10 or so in slugging and top seven or eight in obp.

Not to mention even with alot less at-bats than most, he's 'still' in the top 10 AL leaders in homeruns.

Taking it even further if you look at both the AL and NL, he would still be in the top 15 or so in most of those categories.

We've got a legit Major League hitter here and it's been a pleasure to watch him reach some of the potential he was long ago expected to reach.

Someway and somehow add another legit bat for next season and god forbid the team not be the walking wounded and we might be ok next season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.76.24) on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 09:59 pm:

2 HRs and 3 RBIs tonight.

Since he was called up on May 6th, FSNBA showed a graphic that pointed out that Cust would be 5th I believe in HRs in the AL.

The legend continues...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.76.24) on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:19 pm:

Since July 29th, the start of this hot streak..

July 29th to August 14th-.471(16/34), 7 runs, 2B, 3 HRs, 17 RBIs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 09:06 am:

His stroke is amazing. He hits them so high, you think they can't go out, but they do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.134) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:35 am:

You never know what you're gonna get from Jack-I'm glad we went last night!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 02:29 pm:

For those who don't take SI. They put the story on Cust online. Well worth the read if you've not seen it yet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/albert_chen/07/31/jack.cust0806/2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.26.246) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 07:37 pm:

If only he could play the OF.

He clanked another easy fly ball tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.142) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:11 am:

Sometimes Cust can be CUSTER...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:16 am:

Cust should never attempt catching a fly ball (can of corn) with fewer than two hands. That is the 2nd ball (other was in left field) he has dropped in that manner, when all he needed to do was bring his right up to the glove to make sure it didn't hit the heel and bounce off. Sometimes one handed catches are necessary, but on routine fly balls, just irritates the heck out of me when the guys try to be non-chalant about any play. Also, it looks to me like Cust uses a glove hardly bigger than 2nd baseman's glove, in comparison to other outfielders. That is no excuse though; not using two hands isn't either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 05:46 pm:

Cust should go right from the A's in October to the Phoenix Desert Dogs in the AFL and play outfield every day to hone his ...uh...skills(?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.11.57) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:59 pm:

How is it that the A's cannot win a game against the Royals???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:04 pm:

Sad, isn't it? And just when they had started playing well and some of us had started getting excited just to see them play good ball with the new, young players.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.149) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 02:42 pm:

I went to the game Saturday. It wasn't pretty...and I missed Scutaro!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 03:28 pm:

Well he played today and went 4 for 4, scored 2 runs and had 2 RBI with a HR. Of course, the A'S will win the game. Their is no excuse not to play him every day; at least until he cools down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.38.189) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 03:42 pm:

Nice to see DJ get a HR as well. DiNardo looked great. Well-played game all around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.252) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 06:20 pm:

Was listening to the A's postgame show and some caller said he doesn't want Cust to be a starter next year, even said he wanted Piazza over Cust as the starting DH in 08?

Why? He mentioned that Cust a horrible defender, I'll give him that but he also pointed out that Cust is gonna set some K record for the season? No he isn't. K record for a single season is 195 by Dunn in 04 with CIN. Cust has 128 thru 101 games played so he isn't anywhere close

AUG #s of .314/6/22/1.063 which was his best month ever this year and in his career too. Why the hate for Cust from that caller?

I'm fine with Cust if he K's 150+ a season as long as he's hitting .260/30/100/.950 for a season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.39.142) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:00 pm:

Both yesterday and today, Buan had some discussion of RH FA bats the A's might be able to pick up in the offseason. He mentioned Brad Wilkerson and, interstingly, Jose Guillen.

Obviously, if the A's got Guillen, Cust would be strictly a DH. I sure wouldn't mind seeing Guillen and his cannon arm in RF.

Wilkerson? He doesn't do much for me, though he does have some pop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:15 pm:

Cust is doing exactly what one would like to see from a DH. So what if he K's a lot? He refuses to swing at a pitch he doesn't think is a strike. He's walked like 75 times. He is hitting .269, 2nd only to Stewart with a large number of ABs. Piazza is hitting .289 with much fewer ABs. Also, his obp is .315 compared to Cust's .408. Piazza is slugging at a .453 clip; Cust at .541 with ops of 1.000. And of course, there is a difference of 17 HRs. I know Piazza was on the DL for some time, but, frankly, I think for $8mil this year, his offensive #s have been a huge disappointment, which, fortunately, have flown under the radar because of what Cust has done, mostly in Piazza's stead.

Yeh, he is not a great fielder, but except for two "clanks" off his glove, he's not embarrassed the team out there. I would bet the A's will see that he gets some special work in on his fielding this winter. Because if Barton is going to be up here, they're going to want both their bats in the lineup. Frankly, if the team had to choose btw. Barton and Cust as DH, with neither playing defense, well, with his power, Cust is the prototype for a DH; Barton is not. The caller was obviously talking over his head without really looking at the numbers. Piazza over Cust at DH? Not hardly. I'd rather see Cust at DH fulltime simply because playing the outfield or any position increases the chance of injury. This team needs his offense ... streaky or not. He's won a lot of games for the A's since coming up ... and that's only over 4 months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.24) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:33 am:

Wilkenson is a LH hitter, how he is put in the discussion of a FA RH stick, I don't know? Guillen is the type of bat we need as a RH stick in FA, not a type A FA, maybe not even a Type B FA...but I doubt he'll be brought back the second time, if he never was on the A's, yeah, I'd think there's a chance but not now.

I heard Buan today too about naming FAs and one name mentioned was Sweeney from KC. IMO he's done and has been done for 3-4 years now.

Here's a list of FA after this season...

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2000/04/2007-free-agents.html

Agreed about Cust, we'd be at least 5 games worst off from where we are now if not for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.29.67.9) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 07:05 am:

Thanks for the list, but how accurate do you think that is?

It still has Joe Kennedy listed with Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 07:12 am:

If you're talking about Jose Guillen, I keep hearing he is likely to get an extension with the M's. And, no, I doubt "Mr. B" (how Hannahan refers to him) will bring Guillen back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.105) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 05:11 pm:

Marty Lurie would like to see the A's get Mike Lowell. He's RH, can play 1B, 3B and DH. Of course, he's probably not in our budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 05:39 pm:

Lurie has been throwing names around the past few months. A while ago it was Bay from PIT, now it's Lowell probably for the remainder of this season.

I'd take either but doubt either is gonna be signed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 09:33 am:

Lowell has played himself out of our budget this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar (69.92.118.159) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:31 pm:

Sweeney would fit Beane's past MO

A guy who had some productive years, but could be had cheap these days. A very low risk, high reward type.

I just wish he would stop taking chances on damaged goods and get some guys here that we can be fairly certain will perform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.249) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 02:51 am:

Looks as Cust is in one of his funks in SEP. He's 1/17 so far this month after maybe his best month of his career in AUG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:59 am:

"Lowell has played himself out of our budget this year." Really. You know when Boston is saying the same with re to re-signing him, the A's can't even dream of making an offer. He's going to be a nice pick up for some team, but it sure won't be ours. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (24.23.52.90) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 07:36 am:

why dont we give chavez another chance after he gets healthy, how quickly we forget he has had a great career before injuries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:14 pm:

you're right, sacto, he was pretty good. we can't ignore that the guy can hit the ball well (and field even better) when he's healthy.

question is will he ever get 100% healthy again? i don't think so. he's only 29/30 now, but he's not getting any younger. and he'll only be more prone to hide future injuries because nobody wants a fading star.

tired of waiting for his train to arrive. it's left the station. give the man a handshake and a team with more patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.71.35) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:22 pm:

Well typical of a Cust night tonight against CLE.

1-4, HR, 3 Ks.

Hit a 2 run HR that helped strink the lead to 1 but also didn't help his cause with lack of situatinal hitting. Barton led off with a 2B, he hit 2Bs by the way tonight, and Cust K'ed instead of moving him over to 3B.

Now would DJ or Ellis gotten Barton in from 3rd, who knows, but it's this type of inability to do the fundamentals that has and will continue kill the A's if they don't improve on them in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:09 pm:

and they were all called strike 3. Even nice guy Ray Fosse was critical of the last one, with the tying run on base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.95.40) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:55 pm:

Barton had two 2Bs I meant to type in my last post.

Yeah, those called Ks were horrible. You'd think two guys in Cust/Barton who have great eyes would swing at anything close, even if to spoil the pitch off.

No way comparing it to Game 5 of the ALDS against BOS, but anytime I see a K called looking to end the game, that's what I think of most with recent A's history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.25.185) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:06 pm:

sactofan said a few months ago that the A's players go to the plate looking for a walk. Last night was a perfect example. At least go down swinging at a close pitch. Sheesh.

I admit to watching (on and off) the gnats/Cincy game last night and you have to admire the way Cincy won that game in extra innings. Brandon Phillips ran all the way from 1st to 3rd on a bunt and scored on a sac fly. That was not only situational hitting (bunt by Aaron Harang, no less), but great running by Phillips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.76.66) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 04:57 pm:

Once again, Cust looks like a total jackass up there AB.

3-2, one out, 1st and 3rd, he lets a pitch as close as you could get down the middle of the plate get called for a K as Cust goes back to the dugout with his thumb up the middle of his butt.

Swing the bleepin bat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (69.228.105.235) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 05:01 pm:

another reason to sign bonds Cust could be a 1 yr wonder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.91.101) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 06:17 pm:

I don't think so, he just needs to make more contact and be more agressive although especially in two strike counts.

Strange to say that about a guy whos leading the AL in Ks.

IMO, if he can be a .260/25/90/.400/.500 type hitter for the next 3-4 years, remember he's still only 28, then I'd take that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.25.185) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 06:56 pm:

otf, did you post that before Cust hit that monster shot? He did look bad on that looking K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.91.101) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:03 pm:

Yeah I did.

Can Cust play CLE 162 games a year? He owns them! :)

-.417(15/36), 7 HRs, 19 RBIs, 1.600 OPS.

You could say his legend started that Sunday when he hit the 3 run walk off HR in May.

In 9 games played so far, with tomorrow to go, he has hit a HR in 7 of the 9.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:18 am:

And for those thinking the A's ought to consider signing Bonds, well Cust has only 3 fewer HRs than Bonds and the season was a month old before joing the team. He may K a lot, which beats GIDPs, anyday. He is also only one walk short of 100.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.