Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The story isn't going away

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The story isn't going away
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.243.51.221) on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:34 am:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_6554617

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (189.12.92.133) on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:31 pm:

Beane is now getting angry at players like Kielty when he only has himself to blame for his misjudgements and evaluations.

Chavez, Crosby, Kielty and a few others are 'underachievers' because Beane decided they were superstar material even though they had never proven or came close to that level. Unrealized potential comes a dime a dozen in baseball and not millions...look at Mr. Steinbrenner and all the money he has thrown at unrealized potential. The difference is that King George can afford to throw bad money around.

Yes Mr. Beane....in baseball it is impossible to live on reputation... Welcome to the what has been done for us lately world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (207.15.10.10) on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:58 pm:

I have always been a big fan of BB...he could always find the diamond in the ruff....but the well has run dry....now it's time to reep what you sow! Bad choices and that bad word potentional
that have not come to be reality.....oh well could be worse...we could be the Devil Rays....B69

GO CUBBIES!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 01:54 pm:

Beane himself is the perfect example of an underachieving player with "potential." Didn't work out for him either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.228) on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:48 pm:

I heard Slusser on the radio this afternoon saying that Beane may be elevated to a VP or some type of position where could manage both the baseball and soccer things and hand the reigns of day to day operations of the A's over to David Forst. She said other teams have expressed interest in Forst, but Oakland really doesnt want to see him go. I'd like to see that happen personally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.228) on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:50 pm:

I commend Beane for all that he's done though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 (68.35.35.18) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:19 am:

I commend Beano for letting Miggy go and instead paying Chokey Chavez $11 mil per year of SIX seasons

Beano jacked Kielty for 'stealing money' ... while Beano just gave the money away for Chavez ... that's fraud !!

This season and next the A's will bottom out from the Beano-led, NON-Miggy decision !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:34 am:

Now Chokey has a bulging disk. Who knows if he'll even play again this season!? Talk about stealing money!

And how about Jermaine Dye? He stole money too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:56 am:

Dye was just plain bad luck. He broke his leg. What was it a 3 year deal?

Chavez on the other hand was moronic. We don't have every day access to the guy, but Beane had to see something. When some one has an aloof attitude like Chavez, that should scare some away, some that is sensitive to what fans are saying. Tejada cared, the guy yelled, threw his shit, gave it his all....he was a team leader. When Lowe grabbed his crotch, the guy went off on Lowe, that's the kind of leader you want, not someone who blows up at his own fans, when they're spilling the truth. Tejada's background forced him to work, he developed a work ethic. Beane missed the boat on this one. Honestly we will pay for it for a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:22 pm:

Thank you, raider. I couldn't say it any better myself; my feelings exactly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 (216.133.102.110) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:29 pm:

I agree with what you what you guys are saying but this is not a black and white issue. There is a shade of gray. Beane didn't straight up choose Chavez over Tejada. He thought that Crosby would be an effective player (as did most scouts and so-called "experts") and the A's didn't have a 3B replacement anywhere in their system so he decided to reward Chavez and let Miggy go with Crosby as his replacement. As we all know it was probably the wrong choice because Crosby is not and probably wont ever become an all-star. I mean if Chavez never had his injury issues and kept up the stats he put up earlier in his career (.280 30 100) and played gold glove defense throughout his contract I don't think he would get the critism he gets on this board. That is part of the problem with people (especially on this board) who always compare Chavez to Tejada and it is not really fair because they are different players and Chavez supossedly hadn't reached his potential yet. But alas hindsight is always 20/20

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.46.110) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:14 pm:

I have to admit when the A's extended Chavez I was actually excited. I thought he was going to be a 40 and 120 guy. Now our entire left side sucks.

Mychael Urban suggested this is why the A's were targeting the SS and 3B prospects from LA in the proposed Blanton trade. I dont know what the A's can do except hope these guys get better. There arent any other options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:17 pm:

True 20/20 is hindsiggt...yea that's the thing, we're paying for potential, if I remember Beane said Chavez was younger, and had a higher ceiling, at the time. In 2002, 2003 their offensive numbers were very similar, defensively Chavez is obviously better, based on the errors committed.

I don't know, you get to know these guy's personalities and well do you pay your quiet leader that kind of money?

I think the Crosby thing is moot, because he'd still be on the left side of the infield, Ripken and Rodriguez are great examples of players moving back and forth on the left side of the infield. Beane has proven to be creative with his bank book, why not his team.

I think we're still waiting on Chavez's potential, I do hope it coincides with a world championship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.97) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:36 pm:

3B options are pretty slim, Baisley is the highest rated 3B in the A's system, or at least the highest ranked 3B according to Scout and he'll be 25 late this year and I don't think anywhere close to the bigs.

As for SS, I don't think the cuppard is as bear, maybe there isn't a stud blue chipper in the system but there are some solid SS prospects IMO with of course Murphy who has done a solid job replacing Crosby, then there's Petit and Pennington although neither give you much with the bat...and then there's Horten who the A's picked with the 5th pick in this year's draft and he looked very good with UNC at the CWS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:43 pm:

"Mychael Urban suggested this is why they were targeting the ss and 3b prospects...."

Fans on forums were suggesting that before he even put it in writing.

On Tejada, the truth is, the brass had doubts about his age, thinking he might be older than his listed age. Regardless, it was clear who was the all around better player, before you even get into the energy and presence Miggy brought day to day. Not to mention he took his position every single game during his time here. They made a ridiculous mistake and it's cost them bigtime. Not to mention whoever scouted Crosby ought to be fired if he already hasn't been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.78) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:48 pm:

I think that Crosby may have been signed by Rick Magnante, but wasn't it Grady Fuson that was so high on him? Billy, supposedly, wasn't too keen on the guy, at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.246.29) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 03:25 am:

They had Miguel from day one at the baseball academy and he had been signed at the earlier age possible. I don't buy this doubting his age.
Billy and Schott didn't sign him out of sheer arrogance and stupidity.

Beane was always in awe of Chavez because of what he had done at their high school. He was wrong in his evaliation...period. And just think of how much Chavez improved with coaching from Washington...something Beane didn't even care to evaluate of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:50 am:

Actually, someone who worked for the A's at the time, confirmed the concern about Miggy's age from the brass, was true. I recall reading something about that way back when, and recently brought it up again, whereupon this gentleman confirmed they were concerned. Anyway, for what it's worth.

But I also agree, apart from that, Beane loved Chavez and wasn't likely to let him go, regardless. Too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.159) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:53 am:

Also, you gotta think somewhere in the back of the A's minds about Tejada down the road being linked to roids.

Now it's never been proven so far, but his name has been whispered by a few people, not named Palmerio and Canseco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:00 am:

Like an anxious parent, Billy probably thought Eric would be the player he never could be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 01:39 pm:

Isn't Chavvy from the SD area...isn't that where Beane lived most of his youth life? Maybe he knew the parents or relatives or his friends and was in tight with them. Both from SD???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:28 pm:

"Both from SD???"

Better yet, as Lil mentioned, they both attended the same high school in SD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.246.29) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 03:15 pm:

Beane even mentioned that he was soooo impressed by the fact that Chavez had broken the records he (Beane) had held at their HS.

Btw, Tejada was scouted and signed by Juan Marechal back at the start of the Dominican Baseball Academy. The Academy was founded by the Haas organization by Roy Eisenhardt. So... if Tejada was 15 or 16 when he was signed...I don't see how this age factor would figure into giving him a contract.

As for the "roid issue"...when did that stop the A's from signing any player...lol...
people will really come up with all these apologies when they want to justify a blundering mistake by the team's brain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.231) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 03:38 pm:

Why don't we just say Chavez, when he in his mid 20s, from 01-03 was probably the best young 3B in MLB, sort of how Wright with the NYM is looked at right now, and was a player many orgs would've labeled their frachise player.

Those 3 seasons, he averaged...

-.280, 38 2Bs, 32 HRs, 108 RBIs, .860+ OPS.

...while winning 3 straight gold gloves.

If anybody saw that production/achievements from a guy who is just turning in their mid 20s and not in the prime of their career, I think most in the baseball world would've thought he was a player you could build at least a lineup around, maybe team.

We can all say 3+ years later that is was a no doubter that the A's should kept Crosby, maybe traded Chavez and kept Teahan to play 3B...could've, should've, would've.

I'm sure many team's fans would've loved to see the success A's fans have had since 99 going to the playoffs 5 times and making it to the ALCS.

If not for some huge bad breaks in 00 and 01, none which I think you can blame Beane on, this team may have won a world title in either year. Just happened that luck wasn't on the side of the A's during their height of success over the past 6-7 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

How about Miggy in the clutch during the 20-game streak?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.