Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

BOB GEREN

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: BOB GEREN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (69.227.214.129) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 09:05 pm:

does he know how to wear out a pitcher ? ask casilla, maybe he can use him tommorow tooooooooooo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.36.221) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 09:11 pm:

Just goes to show how little confidence he has in Jay Marshall, since he was the only guy who didn't pitch yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:30 pm:

Yeh, you're right eyleenn. But the problem is Casilla figures to be part of our pen next year, I will be grateful if he makes it through the season without arm or shoulder problems. Also, seems to me he missed some of last season due to arm problems ... but won't swear to it. I'm afraid he's going to burn out Brown, too.

I said before, use Marshall, we're not going anywhere this year, maybe we'll lose enough games to get a top draft choice. Looks like we may be heading that way, anyway. Embree is a veteran with a nearly rubber arm, Casilla and Brown aren't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.26) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:10 am:

If they can't use Marshall, they should let him go. Geren can't keep going to the same few guys in his pen because they could end up with worse than just dead arm syndrome. Casilla may have a little dead arm, already, or the batters are learning to hit him, and he'll have to adjust.

I know that some of the pen woes are due to the exhausted starters, who have tried to be so perfect and carry a battered club that couldn't score runs for much of the season, but Geren still has to manage what he has been given.

The other day, after a 5-out save, Embree seemed alarmingly exhausted (even for a just-used pitcher) while on the post game radio interview.

He admitted that he has been pretty tired, and that when Geren called him in the pen and asked something to the effect of, "What can you give me?", Embree said that he could only tell him that he'd give him all he had. The suggestion was that he didn't know how far that would take them anymore. Sigh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 09:08 am:

Combine the above with pitchers who can't seem to last much more than 5-6 innings and you have the makings of a pitching implosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 09:23 am:

Another guy who has worn down, is Gaudin. His first season as a full time starter, and it's showing. Hardly gave up any HRs the first half, now he's leaving balls up and over the plate, a sign that he is worn down. I hope when 9/1 hits, they call up a couple starters and relievers and use them.

As for Marshall, with only 8 weeks left to the season, doesn't make sense to send him back to the White Sox. They'll send him down next spring and hope they can work with him in refining his pitches. When he gets that sidearm down, he is very effective. But even then, quite iffy against righties. I suspect they've seen enough of him (earlier appearances) to believe they can work with him in making him more effective for longer periods of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:37 am:

Marshall is no Brad Chadford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.26) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:19 am:

Oh, I agree that it's probably too late to let Marshall go at this point, unless the A's decide that they have no solid future plans for him, and little use for him now. A rule 5 guy can turn out to be a pretty big luxury if your team has a lot of injuries, and you feel that you can’t use him, for some reason.

I just fear that by not being able to spread the workload around, the A's may be only adding to their DL next season, if not sooner.

In the farm system, there are a couple of guys who might be able to help next year (and in September), and if E-Lo and Harden ever get healthy… heh, heh… two of the tired starters can get bumped back into the pen.

I don't know what the A’s future plans are for Halsey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar (69.92.118.159) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:19 pm:

Halsey's been gone for quite awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:52 pm:

Isn't he on the DL?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 03:49 pm:

I think he is. He raised Holy Hell back in April that the A's knew about his injury, demoted him to Sac, he pitched a couple games, then DL'ed him so that the A's didn't have to pay him MLB money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.93.164) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 04:04 pm:

Well whoever comes on in the next few weeks or into SEP whether it's Harden, Loiaza, Meyer, or somebody else..the guys who looked gassed like Gaudin, Casilla and maybe even Embree need to get some rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.34.38) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 08:17 pm:

OK, this babying of Street has got to stop. Geren uses Casilla AGAIN in the 8th inning of this game??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.34.38) on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 08:46 pm:

Well, the moves worked out tonight. Nice win.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:34 pm:

Yea, let Street close, I wonder if Beane is behind this garbage. Embree a full inning if it's close in the 7th/8th. Casilla should not be pitching this often, he doesn't have Embree's rubber arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 09:28 am:

Scott Ostler rates the local managers:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/08/27/SP4VRPUJB.DTL

I agree with his take on Geren. He tries TOO hard to be positive.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.