Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

donnie murphy

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: donnie murphy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.35.136.80) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:09 pm:

man, this kid has got a cannon on his arm!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.91.95) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:47 pm:

Yeah, had almost another great defensive play but the runner was just safe.

Now he hits a 2B, the guy keeps impressing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.35.136.80) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:38 pm:

yeah can we keep him and see what's he got and jettison crosby!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.228) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:08 pm:

Murphy fits right on, put on the DL
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/08/22/sports/s090914D48.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:23 pm:

Hopefully it was just the easiest move to make to bring Loaiza back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.71.225) on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 06:27 pm:

3-4, HR, 3 RBIs today for Murphy, his first time ABs since the 18th of AUG.

So far Murphy and Hannahan have looked solid since given the time to play on a regular basis.

Like with Suzuki...6 HRs/153 ABs with OAK and 3 HRs/211 ABs with SAC , Murphy has shown more power in the bigs with 5 HRs/90 ABs in the bigs than he did in AAA Sac with 3 HRs/175 ABs though he had a .326 AVG.

I think Hannahan and or Murphy could start next year for the A's but how likely is that Chavez-Crosby-Ellis all will be kept next year?

Even though if some deals happen like landing Larcohe, trading Chavez possibly, and not picking up the 5 million option for Ellis in 08, the starting IF for 08 could look like...

1B-Swisher/Barton
2B-Hannahan
SS-Murphy
3B-Laroche

...now I don't like the chances of those 3 "vets" not coming back so I doubt that's the IF you'll see even though I wouldn't mind. I'm done with Chavz/Crosby personally, and I love Ellis but the A's won't contend next year so why spend 5 million on a 2B in Ellis who'll turn 31 next May when you could give a youngster like Hannahan or Murphy the starting 2B job and just rebuild with as many young players as you could start who'll be here beyond 08 which I don't see Ellis being.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.42.61) on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 08:46 pm:

OTF, I think you've drunk the Billy Beane Kool-Aid!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:27 pm:

Well, they've already stated their first order of business this offseason is to pick up Ellis' option. I've no doubt they will, because that is still cheap, and that should make him attractive to another team if they decide to deal him. Though I would be shocked if they did deal him. Why would you deal ... arguably the best defensive second baseman in the game who, also, isn't bad offensively, when you compare him to many of the second baseman? It already looks like they are going to have a very average first baseman (and I'm being kind) in Barton and there could be some changes on the left side of the infield; I don't understand why some folks are so anxious to replace Ellis. This is still a team built on pitching, so you'd better have the best defense ... especially infield defense ... behind your pitcher, daily. I guess I keep saying it, but Ellis is the glue which holds the infield together. Though I'm not predicting they'll extend his contract beyond next year, after all by letting him walk after the season he should bring a top draft choice .. Billy's favorite thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.71.225) on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:19 pm:

I do like Ellis and what he brings to this team, I just think with the A's rebuilding with young players like maybe a Hannahan, Murphy and in the near future Pennington/Petit/Sellers...that the A's wouldn't pay that much to a player who won't be here beyond next year in 08. 5 million may not sound expensive but to the A's who are projected to cut payroll from a couple of articles could be too rich for their taste. Although the idea of keeping Ellis for 08 and then getting a pick for him two years from now sounds nice.

As for trading Ellis, I don't see any teams in contention in 08 potentially needing a 2B? Looks at the contenders from this year, most have 2B both for the short and long term.

NYY-Cano
BOS-Pedroia
ATL-Johnson
LAA-Kendrick
MIL-Weeks
PHI-Utley
CLE-Barfield
DET-Polanco
ARZ-Hudson
SD-Giles
SEA-Lopez
Cubs-Derosa

I guess the only teams that may look for a 2B are the Cards and Mets.

Barton as 1B? I keep hearing that but why? I'd rather keep the IF defense pretty good keeping Swisher at 1B while putting Barton in the OF. Why downgrade your defense at two positions, rather have Swisher at 1B being a defensive stud and having a "mediocre" OF with Barton or Cust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 07:29 am:

OTF, you bring up an interesting point. Heck, if they put Cust in right, I suppose Barton wouldn't be any worse. That would allow them to put and keep Swish at first, where he belongs. Then you can alternate Cust and Barton at DH/RF. Of course, there is still DJ, but however it happens, I would be shocked if he is still with the team come ST.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.249) on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 03:19 am:

Option A

1B-Swisher...a potential gold glover.
OF-Barton...medicore OF
DH-Cust

Option B
1B-Barton...average at best 1B
OF-Swisher...average at best OF
DH-Cust

I'd go for option A.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.