Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Slusser podcast

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Slusser podcast
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:38 am:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/indexn?blogid=21

I haven't listened to it yet, but according to SFGate, she suggests that both Haren and Chavez could be traded in the off season.

IMHO, trading Haren would be a HUGE mistake. Chavez, not so much, if they could get someone good in return.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:59 am:

Didn't they sign Haren long term?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:49 am:

Yes, they signed Haren up to his walk year. I agree dealing Haren would be a huge mistake. But one think it would have to be a deal involving a good young outfielder and a very promising young pitcher in return.

I don't know if they would find any takers for Chavez, at his salary and now with potential back problems. If they did, the best they could hope for in return would be just somebody taking that salary and a middlin prospect in return.

I still think Blanton is the guy they would deal, and possibly Street, as well. They'd probably deal Harden in a heartbeat, if they could.

Also, I was unaware of this, but saw a blurb somewhere today, that Jason Windsor is undergoing shoulder surgery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:52 pm:

Moving Haren is not a good sign for us, in terms of competing in 2008-2009. I would think Chavvy, Crosby and Blanton will be on the top of Beane's list. I would also think Haren is available for the right price....meaning blowing Beane away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 01:48 pm:

I think the bottom line is that ANYONE on this team is available for the right price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 02:31 pm:

Agree with raiderjohn. Some of those guys ... especially like Haren, would have to be a deal that ... to quote Beane in the past ... would have to knock his sox off.

On Jason Stark's chat today, a writer asked Stark if he thought Beane would take advantage of a weak free agent pitching market and deal Haren and Blanton.

Stark didn't think Haren would be available, but that Blanton, Gaudin, Loaiza and others would be. He also said that rumor has it that Huston Street could be "potentially" available. I agree with that, re Street. He said Oakland would be interesting to watch this winter. I agree with that, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:57 pm:

If Street were dealt, who would close? Embree? I don't know about that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:28 am:

"who would close?" Embree, maybe; also I think Andrew Brown is a good candidate. If Casilla gets his act together (I just think he hit a wall), he could also be a candidate. In the meantime, I expect Andrew Carignan is likely on the fast track. He is probably as close to major league ready as Street was when he was signed. He has only pitched 9 innings at Kane County ... they like to limit the guys coming out of college, plus he pitched in the CWS. His era is 2.79 and he has 4 saves. I would be surprised if he is not at double AA early on next season. Also, remember, if Duke comes back fully recovered from his surgery, he would be available. If a deal for Street would help them in another area, I have little doubt that Beane will deal him.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.