Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Beane gives loaiza to dodgers for NOTHING

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Beane gives loaiza to dodgers for NOTHING
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (68.55.128.230) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:41 am:

"http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7168078"

I don't get this at all. WHy not trade him in the offseason? One year of him for $7million definitely could have brought a reasonable player back in return. We are DUMPING salary. Unreal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:46 am:

He had 2 brilliant starts and we just dump his ass......unfrickenbelievable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.44.35) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:33 pm:

GIVES?!

I guess this would rule them out of a Blanton deal in the offseason.

Wow, A's going cheap again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (207.15.10.10) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:43 pm:

I guess the towel has been officially tossed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (64.12.116.141) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 04:53 pm:

the only thing i can think of is the dodgers needed him now and possibley the guy that the A's want the blue boys need for the pennant drive so an undertable trade has already been made but wont become offfical till after the season.

maybe we get ethier back????

but beane did not just give him away when starting pitching is a premieum in this league hey look the cards signed mulder to 2 yrs for like 12 mill when they knew he was injured , you bet we could have got something nice for this guy and prob will but the dodgers needed the guy bean wants so we get him later with the good ol boy waiver deal :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (169.237.122.136) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 05:36 pm:

oh well.. adios esteban!

he had a few great starts for us, the only one that counted was the game 2 minnesota game.

at least we dumped salary. maybe oakland makes a free agent signing next season now???

...yeah right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.86.52) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 05:46 pm:

With Piazza and now Loaiza gone, plus the dumping of Kendall's salary...that's what, 15-20 million.

The A's payroll this year is around 70-75 million not counting all of Kendall's salary which some was paid by the Pirates.

The A's should have enough money to land one semi big name FA, who, I've mentioned Rowand before.

I'm still holding out some hope for a Baldelli for Harden type deal. Deal two potential all stars but are injury prone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.86.52) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:11 pm:

Got this from another board, the 2008 salaries potentially..

1. Eric Chavez, 3B: $11M
2. Mark Kotsay, CF: $8M
3. Mark Ellis, 2B: $5M
4. Rich Harden, SP: $4.5M
5. Dan Haren, SP: $4M
6. Bobby Crosby, SS: $3.5M
7. Nick Swisher, OF/1B: $3.5M
8. Alan Embree, RP: $3M
9. Kiko Calero, RP: $2M*
10. Justin Duchscherer, RP: $2M*
11. Joe Blanton, SP: $1M*
12. Chad Gaudin, SP: $1M*
13. Huston Street, RP: $1M*
14. Dan Johnson, 1B: $1M*
15. Rob Bowen, C: $0.4M*
16. Kurt Suzuki, C: $.38M
17. Travis Buck, OF: $.38M
18. Jack Cust, OF/DH: $.38M
19. Andrew Brown, RP: $.38M
20. Santiago Casilla, RP: $.38M
21. Jay Marshall, RP: $.38M
22. Jack Hannahan, 3B: $.38M
23. Donnie Murphy, IF: $.38M
24. Daric Barton, DH/1B: $.38M
25. Lenny DiNardo, SP: $.38M
----------------------------------
Total Payroll: ~$54.7 Million
2007 Payroll: ~$74.0 Million
* = arbitration elligible, estimated contract

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.29.63) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 09:19 pm:

The two biggest numbers belong to the two most useless players this season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:20 am:

Duke, Calero and DJ should be gone, that's another 5 million saved. Hunter, Rowand, and Cameron are FA, so Beane should be watching that market and how that pans out as a way to unload Kotsay. I wouldn't mind paying half for a mid level prospect.

Baldelli may be out of a job. Upton looks like the regular CF there. Crawford and Young are entrenched at the corners.....not too bad of an option, with Swish as a fall back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:46 am:

Health would be my concern with Baldelli. He seems to have the "DL curse". We've got enough of those already.

I hope we keep Duke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:11 am:

...Yea one DL curse for another in Harden....

I like Duke but I don't know about Beane, seems he's cutting back on everything. Duke's wanted to be a starter, wonder if Beane gives him another year as a starter to see how far he goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.80.252) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:38 am:

Well in the chron today, it was speculated that there maybe more to the Loaiza deal and that if a player on the 40 man roster for the Dodgers..also some spec that Piazza could be gone to, maybe to Tigers?

Though the A's have nothing coming back at the moment and expect no future concessions from Los Angeles, according to team sources, there remains some possibility that by not pulling back Loaiza, they might get a break on a future deal with the Dodgers, such as getting the first crack at a player Los Angeles can't keep on the 40-man roster this winter. Or perhaps if the teams resume talks about Joe Blanton in the offseason, the Dodgers might slide Oakland an extra prospect for the goodwill engendered by handing them an experienced starter for their stretch run.

There's a small chance that the A's could allow another player to depart in exchange for little: Mike Piazza could be a nice addition for a contender looking for a bat before Friday's deadline to set playoff rosters. However, according to a team source, Oakland has had no calls on Piazza since Minnesota made a few tepid inquiries a month ago. Though there has been speculation about Detroit having interest because of Gary Sheffield's injury, the Tigers have not asked about Piazza.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/29/SP74RRJIL.DTL&feed=rss.athletics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.80.252) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:44 am:

I'd be very surprised if the Dodgers open up talks with Blanton again. You look at their rotation for next year, they're about 6 deep currently...

Penny
Lowe
Loaiza
Wolf
Schimdt
Billingsley

How would Blanton fit into the equation there? Now you got some injury plagued pitchers there potentially with Loaiza and Schmidt but unless two of them currently on that list head to the pen, no room for another SP.

As for Piazza, I'd like to send him off too. What's the point of keeping him here for SEP when he's not gonna be here next year so why not give a chance for a youngster to get his 80-100 ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:45 am:

Tigers hoping Sheff comes back on 9/6. Their problem hasn't been offense, it's the pitching.

Who knows, maybe they'll take Chavez's entire contract.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:10 pm:

"Maybe we get Ethier back?" Please. He had his peak season in his rookie season. By the way, he's the first guy the Dodgers will offer in any trade, should tell you something. What the A's need is a difference maker in this lineup. Preferably at least two, but one would be nice. It is likely if there is such an animal which could fall into Beane's lap, he would still be a prospect. I'd rather the A's upped up and signed Stewart to a two year extension (alas, won't happen).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:17 pm:

The Dodgers have been hunting for a 3rd baseman for eeons, it seems. If they want Blanton, tell them they have to take Chavez along with him. As for their current staff of starters, Penny and Billingsley are the only two worth anything, except that Loaiza (for at least one year) could be a pretty decent #3. As for Schmidt, sounds like another Driefort for them and Lowe is sinking fast (no pun intended).

Once again, Baldelli spends more time on the DL than on the field. Just what the A's need ... NOT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (24.23.52.90) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:17 pm:

hm..... i think he is hitten .297 with 10 hr so i guess he has bombed this yr hm..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.87.66) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:19 am:

Stewart with an extension. I see Kotsay all over again. Remember Kotsay had a very good 04 and good 05, Beane rewarded him with a 3 year deal, been a disaster. Stewart has had a good season, IMO, just let him go and maybe the A's could get a comp pick for him next year in the draft. Stewart doesn't give you much power and his defense/arm isn't great anymore.

Again, why aren't the Dodgers thinking Laroche as their 3B of the present and future. Isn't he one of the top 3B prospects in all of MLB, at least in the top 5.

As for Baldelli, I'd rather have somebody injury prone who has star potential still than injury prone players whos past his prime in Kotsay, and haven't been starters before in a Snelling/Denorfia combo, neither has much power either looking at their career #s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 08:59 am:

"hm ... i think he is hitten .297 with 10 hr so i guess he has bombed this yr hm ..."

Are you referring to Baldelli? If so, he has 5 HR, hitting .204 w/ops of .626 this year. He has managed to play in 35 games with 137 ABs. Take a look at his 3 yr: Averaging 11 HRs, .289 avg., .807 ops in FEWER THAN 300 ABS per season. That's 100 ABs less than Bradley's numbers, so that ought to give a clue where he excels ... on the DL. He is only 25 and if he could stay healthy, he would/should be a good one. But, really, the last thing the A's need is another 2 legged injury bound to happen.

The Rays are expecting big talent in the form of pitching for the guy. They are out to lunch. Now if they want to consider dealing any of their 3 other outfielders ... Crawford, Upton, Young ... then that's worthy of consideration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 09:50 am:

I think sactodavey was referrring to Ethier. Acc. to mlb.com, he's "hitten" .292 with 10 HR and his OBP is .358.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.213) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:30 am:

Well according to a chron article today the A's payroll will not increase much...

Barring any major free-agent signings, Oakland's Opening Day payroll will drop from about $80 million this year into the mid-$60 million range next year, according to a team source

...from the salaries listed earlier in this thread, the A's payroll projected is to be 55 million and that's not including many on that list from not being here next season which I could see a least 2 or 3 gone after 07.

So if it's in the mid 60s the payroll, it'll give the A's at least what, 10 million to sign a FA.

Course there's always the option of trading a couple of those players...Chavez/Kotsay/Harden.

Something big is gonna happen in the offseason, just don't know what. Course I thought the same with the deadline at the end of last month and nothing happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend (64.81.24.35) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:16 pm:

"Something big is gonna happen in the offseason, just don't know what."

Barry Bonds.
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Sorry if I made anyone sick just now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (69.229.239.114) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 01:09 pm:

i can see cust playing the outfield with bonds as dh.

hey at least it would be fun better then the boring shit we got this yr.

deajay said:

Maybe we get Ethier back?" Please. He had his peak season in his rookie season. By the way, he's the first guy the Dodgers will offer in any trade,
hmm..
eyleem said:think sactodavey was referrring to Ethier. Acc. to mlb.com, he's "hitten" .292 with 10 HR and his OBP is .358.

like i said he is doing great for a 2nd yr guy and i would love to have him back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.2.239) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 08:46 pm:

Hey, sacto, only vinnieangelo gets to call me "eyleem"!!

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.105) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 05:27 pm:

Esteban Loaiza outperformed Carlos Zambrano with a winning Dodgers debut Monday, tossing seven innings and singling in two runs in an 11-3 rout of the Cubs.

Loaiza, claimed last week from Oakland, allowed three runs on nine hits over seven innings. His fastball was consistently around 88 mph; he struck out three while walking one.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070903&content_id=2186775&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 05:44 pm:

Should we all root for Loaiza to do well with the Dodgers, the better chance of the A's and Dodgers getting a deal done if he helps them make the playoffs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.105) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 07:25 pm:

Couldn't hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.47.120) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 09:12 pm:

Yep, and Laroche seems like the popular name being mentioned the most, even dating back to the deadline when the rumored deal from the Dodgers was Laroche as the main piece to the deal.

-.309/18/48/.987 in 265 ABs for the Dodgers minors this year.

He'll turn 24 later this month and had some short stints in the bigs already not doing a whole lot in his limited MLB ABs.

If somehow the A's do land Laroche, you'd think then that Chavez would be dealt right?

I doubt really that a Kershaw would be involved in a deal possibly in the offseason, that's optimistically speaking that he'll be anyway in part of a deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.236) on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:39 pm:

Well Loaiza is tanking with the Dodgers so I don't know what kind of good grace the A's would've had if he did well this offseason.

After two great starts with the A's against TOR and another to start off his career with LAD, he has now a 8.50+ ERA with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:05 am:

Yeh, but like poor or good hitting being contagious, the same can be said for pitching. Fact is, the entire Dodgers' staff seems to have tanked. That is not to say Loaiza hasn't lost it, nor to say he has, either.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.