Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's Sign Adam Melhuse

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's Sign Adam Melhuse
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.84) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:27 am:

A's recall Braden from Sacramento, sign Melhuse as a free agent
09/01/2007 1:06 PM ET
Oakland Athletics Press Release

... signed free agent catcher Adam Melhuse. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Melhuse, the A's transferred Eric Chavez to the 60-day disabled list.

-----------------------------------

I'm sure that the A's will say that they needed extra bullpen catching help with the expanded roster, or that Suzuki or Bowen has some undisclosed ache or pain, but sometimes I think that the A's do have a teeny soft spot for the players they've coldly shown the door, especially when they weren't bad guys. After Adam's best season with the A's, he was rewarded with less playing time behind the underperforming Kendall, and things kind of went down for him from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.52) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:52 pm:

Well I just hope he doesn't take any ABs away from either Suzuki who looks like the future C or Bowen who has looked pretty good especially with the stick albeit in limited ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 04:26 pm:

I don't get this at all. After all, they are a day too late for Melhuse to make the postseason roster. :):):)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.2.239) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 07:17 pm:

I think both Suzuki and Bowen are better catchers. Melhuse CAN play some other positions. That's the only reason I can imagine they picked him up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:05 pm:

Maybe it also tells you what they think of Brown and Closser, one or both figured to be called up, imo, post playoffs. Maybe they were doing Melhuse a favor because they like him while giving themselves a little more versatility. I think the Rangers sent them cash for Melhuse, so they probably just turned around and gave that to Melhuse. Who knows? Just another strange move in a strange season. The team on the field may have been boring this season, but one can't say it was dull, as we wondered who would go down and who would take his place, on a daily basis. I've never seen anything like it. I mean it was like at least every other day another player went down and often it was more than one. On the other hand, some of the newbies took advantage of their opportunities, like Cust, Casilla, Brown, and looks like Hannahan.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.