Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Anyone watching this fiasco?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Anyone watching this fiasco?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.91) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 02:17 pm:

Or listening, I should say, since there's no TV.

1) What could be behind the Rangers' "thing" against Swisher?

2) What the hell happened to DiNardo? Apparently he can't deal with any kind of disruption -- rain delay last Sunday, the brawl today.

I guess a 4-game sweep would be too much to ask for, but I hate to see a game get this ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.9.91) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 02:41 pm:

Wonders never cease! A's have scored 5 in the 3rd and gone ahead 7-6!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.182) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 07:19 pm:

Yeah, I know fans and even maybe players form other teams have something against Swisher, don't know why?

Because he wears his hair long or has some werid facial hair.

Anyway, brutal game...umps sucked, the A's pitching fell apart.

Though nice to see the youngsters once again come thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (67.101.145.51) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 07:22 pm:

I was at the game. As have been nearly all the games these past couple of weeks, it was sloppy.

Padilla nearly hit Swish twice in that at bat with 96 mph fastballs, before finally nailing him...and the Rangers have hit him several times during this series (guess they take offense at his home runs).

There was no excuse for a major league pitcher to lose his focus because of a rain delay or a brawl. That's not a point in DiNardo's favor.

We knew there would be trouble when Andrew Brown couldn't find the plate, leading up to Michael Young's grand slam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 09:55 pm:

Padilla is a drunk ... seriously. If the Rangers hadn't been so hard up for pitching, they would likely never have extended him. He was suspended last year for intentionally hitting Vlad Glad. Times he makes Clemens and Pedro look like choir boys. The thing that disgusts me, is the umpiring crew once again failed to do their job. The teams/pitchers were warned yesterday. Given Padilla's reputation, you mean to tell me that asleep on his feet (as usual) Merriweather didn't have the wherewithal to immediately go out to the mound and warn Padilla after he threw the first (obvious) intentional pitch? Then the idiot wasn't even going to boot Padilla. It took Geren going out there and arguing while insisting the excuse for a pitcher be booted. Then the umpires conferred, since asleep on his feet Merriweather evidently didn't have the guts to make his decision alone ... one he should have made in the first place ... before the decision was made.

Umpiring has gotten worse all the way around this season. I mean some of these guys have been utterly awful. Amongst other things, they don't know when to take control and when not to, let alone having little idea of the strike zone more often than not. Also, I've seen more obvious blown calls on the basepaths this season then ever before. Some of them kick pitchers out of the game when it is evident to all the guy wasn't throwing at the hitter and even had absolutely no reason to, then when it is obvious a pitcher is, they don't even recognize it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:05 pm:

Speaking of no tv .... again. Crunch the numbers, the Oakland A's have the fewest games televised in a season of any team in the majors. Disgusting. Even the Blue Jays televised more than 20 more games than the A's this year. Absolutely pathetic. I'm tired of hearing this crap that nobody watches midweek day games. If that's the case, sure doesn't bother other teams, most which televise nearly all their midweek day games. Heck, the A's don't even televise a number of their road games, period, while fans of all other major league teams get to see their club just about anytime they want. Oh, yes, and was Oakland the only team espn decided to to completely snub this year ... neither Sunday night, nor midweek games? Frankly, I'm glad that TBS managed to outbid them for the postseason games ... and then some ... starting this season. I hope that also means we don't have to ever listen to horrible monotone run at the mouth and boring Rick Sutcliffe again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.26.23) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:33 pm:

Speaking of drunks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 07:33 am:

"Speaking of drunks..."
???? Eyleenn, not sure what you're saying ... you mean Sutcliffe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (67.169.85.150) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 08:52 am:

Sutcliffe showed up in the booth in San Diego a couple of years ago absolutely blasted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.243.51.221) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 09:07 am:

....the Oakland A's have the fewest games televised in a season of any team in the majors.

What's the total for the A's? 130?

...was Oakland the only team espn decided to to completely snub this year ...

ESPN snubbed plenty of teams, but Oakland was the only division winner that didn't make an appearance on Sunday Night Baseball. Skipping the Pirates and Royals is one thing, but omitting a reigning division winner? Inexcusable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo (71.202.169.161) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 09:22 am:

Hey, wait a minute...

Are you guys implying there is an Oakland bias in the sports media?

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard......OK, I need to go listen to the A's morning show on KNBR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:04 am:

"What's the total for the A's? 130? Actually, 131.

You're absolutely right about a number of teams being snubbed by espn, but you made my point, "the only division winner that didn't make an appearance on Sunday Night Baseball."

Actually, vinnie, the bias extends to most divisions outside of the east. But, geez, even the Rangers got on espn this year ... course, that had to do with the team(s) they were playing, which escape me. And, of course, the Giants were on at least a couple of times, but that had to do with the cheater. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.23.35) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:12 am:

Thanks, rtd. Yes, I was referring to Sutcliffe in San Diego.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 04:13 pm:

Thought you might have been, eyleenn, but wasn't sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 (67.117.144.123) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 07:01 pm:

"Speaking of drunks..."
???? Eyleenn, not sure what you're saying ... you mean Sutcliffe?" Duhhh!

Come on Deajay you come off as an inteligent person, even I got that. Ey was just interjecting a quick one liner.

I do wish Swish had punched Pad in the mouth instead of tackling him. According to some photos I have seen it looks like Swish got punched by Padila. Why storm the mound unless your going to throw some punches? Maybe LF could give Swish some pointers on how to throw a punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.3.179) on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:12 pm:

I heard Swish was trying to put a football move on Padilla, but the pic in the Chron makes it look like Padilla was about to crush him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 (66.58.142.72) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:11 am:

Hey wash I could should him how to throw down for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.92.10) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 04:34 pm:

Suspensions handed out minutes ago.

7 games for Padilla, 3 for Swisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.34.66) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:23 pm:

Sounds about right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.34.66) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:29 pm:

From Rangers' GM Daniels: "Obviously it's disappointing to lose a player for that long, but Bob felt it was warranted based on the situation. We're disappointed Vicente put the team in that position to begin with."

Daniels throws Padilla under the bus! I love it!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070918&content_id=2215876&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:35 pm:

Article in one of the Texas papers (Dallas Morning News?) this morning, pretty much bashed Padilla ... deservedly so. Also trying to figure out how they could get rid of him. Good luck, the guy has $22mil coming over the next two seasons.

Teammates were irate with him and Washington had to cajole him into apologizing to the team and the GM. When a guy doesn't do it on his own, it is worthless. Also,as a result, both Saltalamacchia and Blalock couldn't play yesterday because of soremness, etc., related to the "brawl." Anyway, you can access the article by going to and scrolling down:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/mlbrumors.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.6.119) on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 05:27 pm:

I also heard during last night's telecast that Daniels called and apologized to Beane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 (71.141.89.146) on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 05:40 pm:

Actually the fat bastard Padilla, Daniels and Wash should be apologizing to Swish. Swish is a jovial character and all around good guy, he never shows pitchers up like Manny or Puffy have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:51 pm:

Agree, washfan. Tonight on the Rangers/Twins telecast, one of the Twins announcers said Padilla "accidentally" hit Swisher. I thought where is this fool coming from? But then realized he was being sarcastic when he went on to say how they had hit Swisher in 3 consecutive games up to then and further commented (I paraphrase) the Rangers are in a quandry with what to do with the guy and his contract. They also included the video of the incident. Also commented on how several Rangers' players suffered hurts and bruises as a result of the fracas.

He also said Padilla likely appealed his suspension so he could pitch tonight and will just as likely withdraw his appeal tomorrow, which would still give him one more start this season. I agree with him that is exactly what the cretin is likely doing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.