Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Bonds Indicted

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Bonds Indicted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan (207.173.90.1) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:23 am:

Sorry for the double posting.. but ... this is good news:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/14606146/detail.html

1 Count of Obstruction
4 Counts of Purjury

Happy Reading Kids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:31 am:

was just about to post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:40 am:

what took them so long?

why wait until this guy made a mockery of the homerun records?

don't tell me they waited so long to strengthen their case...

a lot too late in my .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:

I wonder if Bonds will be named in the Mitchell Report.

I also wonder if there wasn't a deal in place all along that the indictment wouldn't be announced until after he broke the record and the season was over. Nothing would surprise me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.243.94.241) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:08 am:

Shocker!

If they didn't get him here, which was unlikely, they still go his tax evasion.

Bonds is screwed and his life is gonna be ruined the next year or two with all these court issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:04 pm:

If any team was interested in him before this, I doubt any will want him now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.129) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 02:22 pm:

It's sad that it took so long, and MLB's most hallowed record became entangled in this mess.

At any rate, because of the money that came with all those home runs, Bonds will be able to purchase the best defense that money can buy. An indictment isn't a conviction. Who knows how all this will end up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.140) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 03:18 pm:

I'm thoroughly going to enjoy this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.236.69.184) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 04:55 pm:

Heard that like 95% of federal indictments end up as a guilty verdict so I'd put my money on the government's chances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 05:39 pm:

Each count of perjury could bring 5 years max; obstruction, 10 years. We should start a pool, which of the two will be found guilty or will neither? Barroids and OJ. And I love these attorneys who continue to say that a jury will "prove him innocent." Not guilty verdicts do not mean innocent, by a looooong stretch.

Anyway, nice to know that Barroids is finally out of baseball ... albeit several years too late. The majority of baseball people and fans across the country consider Hank Aaron as the HR king, period. As well they should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 03:55 am:

Listening to XM last night, they had an ESPN legal expert on who said he'd expect 1-2 years of jail time max. Another brought up an interesting point: will barry be willing to trade his "legacy" for his freedom? This should be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 05:51 am:

Billy Beane dances around the subject of Bonds in the NY Times. Not that I'm surprised.

"... At best it seemed that Bonds, who has had leg and elbow problems in recent seasons, would have to seek employment as a designated hitter in the American League. The Oakland Athletics have been mentioned as a possibility.

"Asked if the indictment would affect any interest he might have in Bonds, Billy Beane, the Athletics’ general manager, said yesterday, “The great thing about my position on free agents is I don’t publicly talk about them.”

Asked if he would speculate on whether any team might sign the indicted Bonds, Beane replied, “I wouldn’t even want to speculate.”

And on the issue of Bonds’s home run record? “That would be for people in a different position than I to make that call,” he said. “It’s not part of my decision-making scope.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/sports/baseball/16chass.html?ref=sports

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 05:56 am:

Another interesting piece from the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/sports/baseball/16vecsey.html?ref=sports

November 16, 2007
Sports of the Times
The Truth Could Have Set Bonds Free
By GEORGE VECSEY
This day never had to come for Barry Bonds. He could have avoided yesterday’s indictment by parceling out just enough truth to satisfy a grand jury.

Back when the first grand jury was convened in 2003, Bonds could have quivered a bit and said he had been a bad slugger by going for the quick fix and deceiving the American public. He could have promised to never do it again. And he could have walked, free to break Babe Ruth’s record and Henry Aaron’s record without this infamy hanging over him. Americans love a good confession.

But the truth is not in Barry Bonds, who is so far outside the limits of reality that he did not see the advantage to a little show of humility, a little flash of honesty.

Instead, he put a spin on his connection with the notorious Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative. Now he has been indicted, not for using performance-enhancing drugs, but on four counts of perjury involving his testimony to a grand jury and one count of obstruction of justice.

Right now it is not clear if this grand jury will take up the suspicions raised in The San Francisco Chronicle about Bonds’s possible liability for tax evasion for over $80,000 in cash income. That could be a separate case.

At the moment, Bonds is in more trouble for lying than for whatever he used from the chemists at Balco. Despite the visual evidence that players were bulking up, baseball did not get around to imposing testing and penalties for performance-enhancing drugs until Bonds’s home run totals were as swollen as his cap size and his shirt size.

He is stuck on 762, unlikely to ever get another job offer. The ludicrous joke here is that Alex Rodriguez, who on Wednesday was baseball’s No. 1 egomaniac, groveling back to the Yankees, has now become baseball’s great clean hope.

After allowing his agent to publicly stiff the Yankees during the World Series, Rodriguez is apparently close to agreeing to a new contract that would include a hefty bonus for breaking the career home run record of the aforementioned Barry Bonds.

A-Rod is not the only Yankee who reeks of contradiction. The Yankees also own the services of a shell of a player named Jason Giambi, who set the public example to Bonds of how to flick away the aura of guilt.

Appearing before the original Balco grand jury, on Dec. 11, 2003, Giambi testified that he had taken steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone, and for apparently testifying truthfully he was granted immunity.

The grand jury was not after Giambi. It probably was not even after Bonds, even though Bonds (and the few supporters he has left) contend that the Balco investigation was always about getting him. This only shows how detached he is from reality.

“You use the consumer to build your case against the manufacturer,” Travis T. Tygart of the United States Anti-Doping Agency said last March, before he became chief executive of that agency. The hope is to keep harmful and illegal drugs from impressionable children and adults who are trying to emulate negative role models like Giambi and Bonds.

Giambi, the son of a banker, is a reasonable person. He understood that he would harm himself if he lied to a grand jury. He took some public criticism for a short time and then settled into his continual decline. Bonds strutted and denied and blustered and bullied, as he has done to most people around him all his life.

Probably Bonds’s greatest victim was Greg Anderson, his trainer, who went to jail because of his refusal to testify about Bonds’s involvement with Balco. Yesterday, shortly after Bonds was indicted, Anderson was ordered released from jail. It is not apparent whether Anderson finally sang or whether he had no more value to the investigators. The odds are heavy that Bonds will never make it up to Anderson for stalling the investigation.

Bonds surely has money salted away, but his prospects for employment are not great. The San Francisco Giants let him go after the season, having sold tickets for his miserable trudge toward Aaron’s record. Who would hire a 43-year-old lead-legged slugger facing five felony charges?

He could get off. Indictment does not mean conviction. But this process will make him a pariah in the free-agent market. Any team that would dream of hiring him would be doing it as a spectacle.

Everything is tainted. His image. His record. The ball he hit for No. 756. Never mind the debate over sticking an asterisk on the ball in the Hall of Fame. Baseball has no business putting an asterisk on Barry Bonds. The asterisk belongs on Major League Baseball, for allowing the players union to bully it into avoiding testing and penalties.

Now, baseball is tottering along, waiting for George J. Mitchell’s investigation to produce the astonishing revelation that performance-enhancing drugs were prevalent in the past generation. Jason Giambi has already testified to that, but Barry Bonds couldn’t go that far. Now baseball roots for good old A-Rod. Only 245 to break the record, and not a moment too soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan (207.173.90.31) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:36 am:

Cover of the NY Post today:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11162007/frontback.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:04 am:

How about this one:
bb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.21.151) on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 06:26 am:

More Bonds to the A's talk, without benefit of any quotes from the A's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_bonds_future

I've already decided not to renew my season tix, but if this happens, I won't go to any games at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (67.169.85.150) on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 04:56 pm:

I'm proud of you Eye. Boycott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (4.243.152.132) on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 07:06 am:

Great photo,Jerry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan (207.173.90.108) on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 07:07 am:

Nice Jerry... REALLY NICE! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan (207.173.90.108) on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 07:07 am:

Nice Jerry... REALLY NICE! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fmqwhwqvilv (kapit-148-146.cnt.nerim.net - 194.79.148.146) on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 11:51 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.