Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

MLB should go talk to FIFA

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: MLB should go talk to FIFA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.30.70.63) on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:25 am:

if MLB wants to clean up drugs in the sport, they should consult the world football (soccer to come of you) body, FIFA. they have the strictest rules, the harshest penalties, and the cleanest athletes (and probably the most competetive, and athletically fit) in the world.

this is their discinplinary policy:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/fifa_disciplinary_code_en_41.pdf

bascially, if you test positive you get a two year ban, if you test positive again it is a lifelong ban. if you can prove it wasn't to alter your ability, you first get a warning, then 2nd offense is 2 year ban, and 3rd lifelong.

maybe it's harsh but you never hear about drugs in soccer anymore.

if you miss a test you get at least a 3 month ban!

why can't baseball/football/basketball do this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:34 am:

Yeh, well first of all, MLB has to decide whether they are going to attempt a valid test for HGH; until then, it's all meaningless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.83.103) on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:58 am:

The valid test for HGH is used in the Olympics.

What Selig should do to show he really wants to clean the game is simply give the Player's Union a choise in 2008...either accept the blood test or lock them out.

but I won't hold my breath on that so the freak show will go on as usual

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.30.70.63) on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:06 am:

lil, i am totally with you on this one. the player's union has gotten to the point that they are way too powerful. i understand it has given good things to the players, but these people need to realize they are employees and more than that they play for our entertainment!

can you imagine if a group of unionized plumbers refused to take a drug test? they would lock them out and go hire some new plumbers.

i think this is one of the many reasons i've become less and less interested with baseball over the past few years... it's just a joke and like many thngs in this country people just talk about what to do and nobody has the guts to think they can change the system.

nuff said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.147) on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:00 am:

Well, the real baseball fans get screwed. They don't care about us-they just want wealthy "meat in the seats.." pseudo fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:55 am:

Yup...and these "fans" don't give a damn if the players are juicing or shooting up whatever...these fans just want to be entertained and have no idea what all this fuss about cheating is all about. They don't have a clue and they don't care to know.

I'm only sad to say that I won't have anything of the game left to share with my grandkids and that is a huge loss to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.38.74) on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:

Grandkids???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (65.164.140.178) on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:06 pm:

A lot of fans don't care because the media has drilled it into us everytime we turn the tv on. I am sick of it, I don't care because its silly to think that this hasn't been going on and it hasn't been going on in every sport. Yes it is illegal but I think the steps they have taken are appropriate. We do not need congress and some big report to tell us anything. Test them and suspend them and get on with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 09:32 pm:

A lot of fans don't care because our society has accepted cheating as what has to be done whenever there's a competition...be it in politics...sports or in everyday life.

...and yes Ey...for now I have a grankid scheduled for MAY :) :) :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.26.109) on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 06:07 am:

That's fabulous, Lil!! Congrats to you all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 08:20 am:

Thanks Ey. I'm very happy with the great news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (65.164.140.178) on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 09:56 am:

I have not accepted cheating in sports and that is why they have adapted rules against it. The whole thing is being handled wrongly and to go on he said she said is ridiculous. If they have been tested and it comes back positive for steroids suspend them other than that lets get back to playing baseball. I am tired of hearing and supporting losers like Conseco and its sad that people actually care what he has to say. There has been cheating in sports since they have begun so don't for once think that this is a new thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 09:03 pm:

ok, if you say so..enjoy your fantasy baseball

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (65.164.140.178) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 06:23 am:

I don't understand how you can be that naive to think that there hasnt been. Look at the past.. I don't see how this is fantasy baseball if anyone has been living a fantasy it has been you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 07:15 am:

I have never said I believed there was never cheating in baseball.

The interesting thing is that you think I'm naive because I see an enormous difference in taking greenies, scuffing baseballs and taking recreational drugs to the kind of stuff these guys have been using for the last two decades.

Steroids and HGH, insulin and other medications used by Balco are a totally different ballgame and if you don't see the difference, you're the naive one, not me...

But hey...keep your head buried in the sand and enjoy your upcoming season...I have no intentions of trying to spoil your fun. Bud Selig needs fans like you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (65.164.140.178) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:24 pm:

I am guessing that you also believe that these guys had the options of taking steroids back then and they just decided not to do it. No they cheated... and any way you put it they cheated. I am tired of hearing about HGH its not even a steroid it doesn't help you hit harder or even get stronger it helps people heal faster. Should it be illegal...probably but everyone is making a lot bigger deal out of it than it should be. I don't know how I am naive I have seen what goes on in sports and have been in locker room when steroids have been passed around. I am not condoning it in anyway and I am glad that they have been making stricter rules against it. I just think baseball is taking a bad rep for it when someone in football gets busted for steroids there is a little bleep about it but when its baseball its front page news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:45 pm:

slash034,

so you know all about how harmless all that stuff is and you don't condone it but just want it to all to go away so you can enjoy your game right?

don't worry, you will probably feel better when Selig and his cronies soon lobby the senators and all will swept under the rugs again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 01:06 pm:

HGH also improves vision, which DOES help you hit a ball. There is actually some question as to whether it promotes faster healing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 08:57 pm:

Listen, we've all seen what these juicers and roiders looked like before and after...and we've all seen how they produced on the field before and after...

the information and books (Game of Shadows) gives details of how they (Selig and CO.) allowed greed to make a travesty of the game of baseball...

...and if after all is said and done, those who feel all this fuss is about nothing and should be swept under a rug, it is a total waste to time to even argue with them...

unfortunately Selig will probably find a way to make their wish come through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (208.108.120.232) on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 01:55 am:

I don't want anything swept under the rug.. I just would like them to come out and say this person or this person has tested positive and been suspended and move on... it gets old. oh yeah not once did i say it was harmless i said it was not as big of a deal as they are making it. I would never recommend someone taking this for the purpose of their health. It is not harmless... that would be you putting words into my post to benefit you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.100.140) on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 02:28 am:

sorry if I mis-interpreted your "not as big a deal" and "HGH only makes people heal faster"
as being harmles...

when in reality HGH actually changes the body's muscle mass, changes a man or woman's endocrine/hormonal system and messes with the entire lymphatic and glandular functioning...

I could go on...but far from me putting words into your post to benefit me. I have nothing to benefit or lose in all of this but to feel sad at how the game I love turned into a freak show to amuse fans who apparently don't have a clue to grasp the extent of the damage done that may never be repaired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.45.214) on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 05:40 am:

And, it’s not just the drug(s); it’s the fraud!

Using PE drugs in baseball is not at all like trying weed, or having a few beers and being oblivious enough to get behind the wheel.

It's more like shooting meth and then cheating in a major sort of way, over and over, on your college exams. Then you not only get a degree you didn't earn, you get into and through Grad school at the expense of truly qualified people, and then you gouge out the best paying jobs around-- and are able to hang in there extra long 'til you're a seriously fat cat in more ways than one.

Add a clincher about chronically lying through your teeth about how clean and honest you are to suck in adoring fans and sponsors, as you get others to have to compete with you at this corrupt level... and I think you have the truer picture.

---------------------------

These excerpts are from the 12-09-07 NY Daily News interview of former pitcher Jack Armstrong (I don’t have the link):

"It's time to call the rats out," Armstrong says. "The guys who did this are cheaters - and that's the bottom line. They are people who made tens of millions of dollars doing something they weren't supposed to do, at the expense of guys who were doing things the right way.

"Business is business - buyer beware and all that. But sports is supposed to be the one place where everything is fair when you cross the line…”

He scoffs at the argument sometimes posited by people who downplay the impact of steroids, saying that no drug can help you hit a baseball.

"Anyone who knows anything about the game knows that's not true," Armstrong says. "The biggest key to hitting is how long you can wait on the ball, and how fast you can move the bat through the zone. That's what made Bonds so great; he could wait longer than anyone, and then get his bat through the zone faster than anyone. Don't give me that crap that steroids don't help you hit a ball."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 (65.164.140.178) on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 02:22 pm:

Business is business - buyer beware and all that. But sports is supposed to be the one place where everything is fair when you cross the line…”

If you actually believe this than you havent played to many sports especially at the collegiate or professional level. My father played for a major college football team and then went on to play for the Steelers in the seventies and it was rampant then and that came out last year but no one made a very big deal about it. It has been out of control in sports for years. Not that it means its ok and should happen but something that everyone is aware about that has played or been around the game behind the scenes. I am glad that major league baseball is taking a stand about it but I am just saying that i want to watch the game and not have to hear how terrible it is everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (69.224.27.97) on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:34 am:

slash...who's your daddy?
Verron Haynes (02-06), Tim
Lester (95-98), Leroy Thompson
(91-93), Walter Abercrombie (82-87),
Andy Russell (66-76), Bob Soleau (64),
Bob Simms (62), Charles Scales (60-
61), Leo Elter (58-59), Lem Harkey (55),
Paul Cameron (54), Fran Rogel (52),
Hubbard Law (42), Warren Heller (34)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bsghoktoy (kst.static.ip-home.net - 93.157.233.77) on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 08:01 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mulcfbla (61.19.69.75 - 61.19.69.75) on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 11:52 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.