Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

40 years in Oakland

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: 40 years in Oakland
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.138) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 04:37 am:

Bittersweet development that the Fisher/Wolves have decided to "celebrate" our Oaktown heritage as they manuever to leave as fast as possible.

A small silver lining to a bobblehead collector such as myself is that this year as a result of recognizing the 40 Oakland years we may finally see a Rickey Henderson bhead.

The A's haven't come out with the promotion schedule yet but considering that there just isn't many candidates for a bhead among our '08 team, either because they have been done previously or they are unknowns/unprovens, I think it would be great to have maybe a Hendu, Campy, Rudi, DMurph etc group to add to our collections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 06:21 am:

Article in this morning's CC Times about the difficulties of marketing this season for both the A's and the gnats. What's to market??

Although I must say, the TV ads for FanFest with Stomper and Geren are pretty cute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.234.177) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 07:07 am:

Yesterday, when I saw this news at the A's site I was really taken aback. It's kind of like celebrating your 40th wedding (or any kind of partnership) anniversary while you're in the very public process of breaking-up and moving out.

It is especially startling because this break-up is due to the fact that the new A's ownership chose making more money over the very nostalgia, tradition and loyal sentiment that they are trying to exploit. I guess the appropriate bobblehead would be one of old Mr. Haas turning over in his grave. :>(

I realize that the A’s are hard to market this year, and to some folks our National Pastime has become nothing but a business, but this seems kind of insensitive, none the less. Oakland’s MLB birthday party and funeral at the same time… or is it?

"Fremont may not be able to afford A's"

http://www.contracostatimes.com/athletics/ci_3900682?nclick_check=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.92.120) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 07:34 am:

This reminds me of an obituary that came out in a newspaper which stated:

The relatives of Mrs. Oakville are sorry to announce her passing. Mr. Oakville passed on earlier this year.

Mr. and Mrs. Oakville are survived by some nephews who at the moment would like to take the opportunity to offer M. and Mrs. Oakville's three bedroom appartment at a very reasonable price. Please send no flowers, just donations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitt (4.246.234.177) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 07:39 am:

ps. (sorry not to explain) While looking at the marketing issue article, I went back and read the old article that I posted. I put the link to this article because I don't think that much has really changed.

I somehow don't think that the A's are going to Fremont. The city really can't afford them, and I don't see anything going to change that.

Can the A's stay in Oakland if they get a place for their village?

Or will they eventually move on to Portland, or somewhere?

Maybe, things will still work out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 08:20 am:

How fortuitous for the A's that in a year when the team is virtually nameless (not to say, hopeless), there is something to celebrate. Note the use of the words "East Bay":

"The Athletics will celebrate their 40th season in the East Bay..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb (12.151.32.25) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 08:33 am:

Just can't see the move to Fremont actually happening. I'm with Mitt - a suberb like Fremont is just not built to handle the access and transit issues of hosting 81 MLB games per year.

I can't help but harken back to a year or two ago before Wolffe announced the Fremont thing. While "pursuing" the Oakland parking lot/village plan, he made a comment that he had talked to Selig about an alternative plan but Selig counseled Wolff that it was much too early to do that. At the time, I thought that the thing was simply the Fremont plan. But I'm not so sure now. Wolffe was within his rights to pursue any ballpark within his existing territories - since Fremont is in the Alameda county, this is not something that he'd need persmission from Selig to pursue. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'm thinking that Wolffe had a plan all along, should the Oakland or Fremont thing not work out, he'd move out of the area - Vegas, Portland? And that is where he'd need Bud's permission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:25 am:

Once fans lose faith in ownership, there is no way to market a team, other than giving away tickets, and even that doesn't work very well.

Take a look at the Sacramento Kings. For the last 20 years, they had the most loyal fans in the NBA, sold out every game. Then the fanbase got turned off by the Maloofs sticking it to them with their exorbitant price increases and hamhanded bid for a new arena. Now, Arco Arena is half-full for games...at best. This would have been unimaginable even in bad years previously.

Wanna know why MaLewWolff is allowing fans up in the third deck again this year? Because the first and second decks will look just like the third deck...empty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 05:06 am:

Well it looks like Suzuki and Buck are getting their bobbleheads. A's going with their 4 per season. The second 2 to be decided later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

Wow this sure seems like premature bobblation to me.
The ordaining of a bobblehead should be for exemplary ML achievements.
These two kids have a season and a half between them max and did nothing to distinguish themselves above "potential" status.

I guess the criteria has changed to whoever is projected to being in the A's starting lineup after the purge of '08.

Nothing against Buck and Zuk but I'd rather the A's went retro this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (68.55.128.230) on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:45 am:

Yeah, I'd like to see a retro bobblehead too, like maybe Lance Blankenship!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.138) on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 01:29 am:

The great Troy Neal perhaps???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.37.126) on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 09:20 am:

That's Troy Neel. :)

My pick would be Eric Fox!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 06:06 am:

2nd choice: Todd Burns. And they have it so his cap is about to fall off. Did you ever notice that after EVERY single pitch, he had to totally adjust his cap. And not cause it moved a bit, but because it was about to fly off.

3rd choice: Eric (Ker)Plunk

4th choice: Eric Cadaret

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 06:48 am:

GREG Caderet. Always won the cow milking contest on Farm Day at the ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (24.6.129.202) on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 07:59 am:

Asch:

I was more concerned with Todd Burns pants tearing. He was a big guy who always looked liked he borrowed a little guys pants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (63.146.24.10) on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 02:07 am:

he had a pretty pimped out moustache too if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yqnasyjlhgh (89-76-11-218.dynamic.chello.pl - 89.76.11.218) on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 11:53 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.