Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Coliseum Attendance & Ticket Prices

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Coliseum Attendance & Ticket Prices

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderzah (209.232.103.96) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 01:27 pm:

Interesting stats to look at.

Basically the attendance was over 2 million per year (even with the "Schotman" ownership) and began to drop once the Fremont plan was put forward.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2007&seasonType=2

But more interesting was this statistic about ticket prices on Sports Illustrated. Apparently the A's have the 7th most expensive average ticket price in the MLB, even more expensive than the SF Giants in their new ballpark.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/fansurvey/2008/affordability.html

Now, how is it that the team wasn't viable in Oakland when the A's were in the middle of the league in attendance, charging more for ticket prices on average than most teams and do not have to pay for a new park, or even pay rent for that matter? And some teams with lower attendance and ticket prices had a higher payroll for players in years past than the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 02:31 pm:

I wonder if those averages include premium seating, i.e., Diamond Level seats.

There was a great lesson to be learned from the great attendance on Sunday. Lower the prices and fans will come!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

The luxury suits and Diamond Level seats are never included in the counting of ticket prices or attendance.

One thing to remember always is that the promotions of dollar tickets are always limited in numbers. They reserve 7 to 10 thousand tickets and it is on a first come first serve basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (67.101.40.177) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:10 am:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/08/SPBP10J3U1.DTL,http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/08/SPBP10J3U1.DTL

The A's success hasn't translated at the box office. The A's are averaging below 20,000 per game, 26th out of 30 teams, and that's including two crowds of more than 40,000 at the Tokyo Dome.

"It's very rough," Wolff said. "We never filled up for the playoff games two years ago, and we didn't pick up any season tickets the next year. People wonder why we can't keep our free agents, but where were they when we were that close to the World Series? We have a ballpark issue and we're the second team in a two-team market. It drives me crazy, but I don't know what to do besides working on getting a new, modern ballpark. Billy and the guys on the team deserve better attendance for the product they put on the field."

This is a lie. Not only did the coliseum fill up for the three games that were played in 2006 postseason (I know, I was there) people were clamoring for seats, and Wolff refused to open up the third deck -- and make all that extra $$.

I was also in the stands for the 2003 ALDS (except for game 2, when I had to work) -- up in the third deck over right field, way up there near the top, it was the only thing available, and the place was packed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (69.232.192.118) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:22 am:

A contender which is 26th in attendance out of 30 teams, that is outrageous in the extreme.

oaklandsi, I don't know if Wolff was right about the ALDS series in 2003, but there have been several playoff games in the Coliseum where it was not close to capacity. And that is also telling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever (70.135.57.209) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:03 am:

...telling of how the ownership since Haas has alienated the fans. We never had any issues for playoff games 1988, 89, 90 or 92

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (69.232.193.66) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:32 am:

Oh, come on. These are the playoffs. This is what baseball fans live for. They don't say, "I don't like the owners and therefore I won't attend the post-season games." That's absurd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:44 am:

beanecounter, get your ass out of here with your lies...

Isn't enough we have to read Wolff's propaganda as he postures to justify all his carpetbagging ways and we have to come in here everyday and read your shit!!!???!!!

The Coli sold out ALL playoff games if you consider the Coli as a BASEBALL ballpark and not a Football park.

And besides... Atlanta didn't sell out THEIR playoff games many times, especially when playoff games were announced at the last minute and in day games.

Like I said, enough is enough...go elsewhere with you crap because here you are not going to continue for much longer.

This site is paid for fans who support the Oakland A's so it is not a free for all, especially not to fans like you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (69.232.193.66) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:58 am:

You are so patently insecure on this issue that you cannot tolerate a single dissenting opinion, can you. My ouster will be a reflection of that and I know that will soon as you don't wish a scintilla of opposition on your little fiefdom.

You live in Marin and yet you say, protect our legacy, meaning that of the Oakland A's. Marin, one of the nation's richest counties, couldn't be any further removed from Oakland in its needs and clearly you are clueless on these. Your perspective is, to use your words, that of the true "carpetbagger."

In seeing the way you run your site, it is now clear to me why so few posters contribute to it.

You are not even a fan, as clearly you dislike the ownership, the GM, and by logical extension, the team they've cobbled together. When, Lil, was the last time you had anything positive to say about a Billy Beane constructed team? It's clear you loathe the team. Those reading this post know what I say is true.

Lil, you call yourself an A's "Fan?" What a joke!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:12 am:

C'mon beanecounter, tell people who you are....
I've known it from the get go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:16 am:

Lil drove to the Coliseum from Marin for EVERY HOME GAME for many, many years. Not many fans have that kind of dedication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:30 am:

I worked at Marin General Hospital for 25 years and had all the reasons for living in Marin. My family was very happy and fortunate to live in such a beautifull place.

For family reasons I am now actually living in another very beaufiful place. I'm actually living in Rio.

Why should I be ashamed of where I live?

Besides, Novato is not more beautiful than many places in Oakland. And Rio is many many times more dangerous than Oakland!!!

I was a full season ticket holder during all the years I worked and lived in Marin. So what?

And how can anybody measure how good or bad a fan is by where they live?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (69.233.69.5) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:37 am:

So is it expensive in Rio? tell me more about Rio i here the women are very beutiful there sorry gettin off baseball but i always wanted to go there.

can you retire on 500k american there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (69.232.193.66) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:54 am:

First of all, as I stated on another thread, Lil, you are NOT a fan. There is nothing you like about the A's since Billy Beane took over and you NEVER post anything positive about the team.

More important, you wanted Oakland to squander its scarce resources on a ballpark. You are too selfish to understand that Oakland cannot afford to waste one penny on a park, given its dramatic needs in other areas.

Today, Chronicle columnist Chip Johnson intimated that Oakland may be headed, like Vallejo, down the road to bankrupty. And yet some self-indulgent fools believe it should indiscriminately throw around its scant revenues to keep the A's in town. This sort of selfishness stinks to high heaven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (67.101.40.177) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:08 am:

The Oakland A's are and have been a team that has drawn attendance and season ticket holders from all around the Bay Area. The Bay Area is one of the biggest and most populous urban areas in the US, as well as one of the largest media markets. There's no reason that it can't support one AL and one NL team if marketed appropriately.

Both historically and currently Oakland is the best place for the team, both because of its easy access via both public and private transportation and its location -- which does not exclude great parts of its historical, current and potential fan base, unlike a ballpark sited in the South Bay, which as the A's have admitted will likely cost them fans in a good geographic chunk of the Bay Area. (Perhaps they would make up part of the difference by increased attendance from the South Bay, perhaps not.) There is also the historical baseball connection (via the old PCL, for example).

Chip Johnson's article does not make sufficient use of information that points toward greater economic upturns and investment in Oakland over the past few years. (All of that information is readily available in other places; some of it has been linked to here.) Of course, in the uncertainties of this current general climate Oakland may suffer -- but so may Fremont, San José, Las Vegas, Portland....and on and on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (69.232.193.66) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:40 am:

To put it succintly, oaklandsi you are clearly in denial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (67.101.40.177) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:09 pm:

to put it succinctly, beanecounter, you are clearly not interested in an informed discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (69.232.232.167) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

Actually, oaklandsi, as I remember from some of your commentary on AN, no reasonable person would accuse you of being "informed."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (67.101.40.177) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 04:10 pm:

Which must have been a long time ago, since you no longer post there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (76.126.26.128) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

So beanecounter is Dan Spitzer? This guy, "Danguide," writes travel pamphlets, is a racist, and hates Oakland with a passion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (64.175.44.185) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 04:50 pm:

oaklandsi, I've been posting consistently on both AN and Scout for several years.

mroakland, I have no idea who Dan Spitzer is. Are you, like Lil, so obsessed with the question of the team's move to Fremont that you see each and every defender of the move to be a single person? That's not mentally sound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (64.175.44.185) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 05:07 pm:

One further matter, mroakland: the fellow you refer to may hate Oakland, but I don't. I just feel sorry for those who are poor and have to live there. But I do think it has been a lousy baseball town.

And while I am not a "racist," it appears you must not be very bright to call someone that on a public forum, particularly if he is a writer. I don't know if Mr. Spitzer reads this forum, but if he does, I know enough about the law to believe he could sue the shit out of you for such an allegation, unless you had unimpeachable evidence that he is what you've alleged.

As I said, mroakland, not very bright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 05:45 pm:

mroakland, you spoiled everything...

so beanecounter, let us say you are not DS and you are just his soul twin...

could you do us A's fans a favor and tell us what you think of the greatest ballplayer the Oakland A's ever had? and will you be going to his HoF induction in 2009?

and while you're at it, could you tell me how you knew I live in beautiful Marin? I bet most people here on this forum, with exception of the ones I know personally, didn't know that little fact, but yet you did?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 05:58 pm:

oh, and btw mroakland, DS in no writer, although he loves to proclaim that after he wrote a travel book with somebody else... and the unimpeacheable evidence was written online in various forums, but never under his name and always under different monickers...

DS has never been man enough to say those things using his own name.

So let's go on with the look-alike contest?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (64.175.44.185) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 06:03 pm:

The answer is simple: I look at this site from time to time, just as I do most A's fan forums. I know you are the big cheese and I've read your comments. I've also exchanged e-mails with some who used to post on your sites and have felt compelled to take leave of them.

Surely, you haven't tried to keep it a big secret, but your previous home base of Marin does call into question your awareness of the problems an economically depressed city like Oakland has. And to express economic demands to build a stadium there, as you have, does award you "carpetbagger" status.

Most ex-pats in Third World countries are able to live high off the hog, and I'm certain you do, insulated from the desparately poor favelas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.188.215) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 06:20 pm:

so now that you know all about me because of an informant....

and be a little more careful in how you describe Brazil as a Third World country...it doesn't qualify you very high as a travel "guide" writer

you didn't answer my question about the greatest player the Oakland A's ever had.

oh...and finely is right, Naomi fits you better than beanecounter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (64.175.44.185) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 06:54 pm:

Lil, why should I talk Oakland A's baseball with you? You have as much as acknowledged that you are not a fan of the team. What a hypocrite!

I'll save my baseball interaction for genuine fans of this team on this site until you throw me off (which is fine with me as it will reinforce how intolerant you are and leave this board with even fewer posters), as well as on the other sites where I have been posting for some time.

You don't like Billy Beane, Bob Geren, or this team, do you Lil? Perhaps we should call this forum "The Oakland Atletics Anti-Fan Coalition."

Have you noticed that so far today, on the baseball side of the site, there are a mere three posts, one of them mine? Typical. And do you understand why? Don't blame me; it's been like this for some time.

This is the only A's fansite that actually loses members over the course of the season. You don't seem to have the intellect to understand how and why this has happened, do you Lil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (64.175.44.185) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:02 pm:

Oh yeah, just to finish up: I am not a travel writer. But I've been to Brazil and while I don't know whether it should be categorized as "Second" or "Third" World (you won't opt for the latter as you have probably fully insulated yourself from the dire poverty many Brazilians live in just as you were oblivious to Oakland's economic straits), you have created the one Oakland A's fansite that could be aptly termed "Turd World."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.155.187) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

Get the fu#k lost a#s hole!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanecounter (64.175.44.185) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:42 pm:

Ah, threepeat, articulate as alwsys. Your insight and intellect never fails to shine.

You never did tell me how you felt about Chavez being Gus's favorite player. Hee, Hee.

You are such a loser, no doubt counting the days until Chavvy comes back to add meaning to a life lacking any semblance of it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.