Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Downtown Ballpark

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Downtown Ballpark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ekriens on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:05 pm:

What if everyone on this list of A's supporters would dedicate their mayoral vote towards a candidate who's entire platform was to build a downtown ballpark? This would force 'real' candidates to address the issue during the next election. Your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:09 am:

I'm not eligible to vote in Oakland city elections because I don't live there. So I'm not sure that would be beneficial. Secondly, if the pollster numbers show that voters are essentially split 50/50 as the proposal was presented to them according to the news story posted here seemed to suggest then why would any politician have to deal with it either way? Schott, if he truly wants this to happen where everybody and their brother/sister wants it to happen (uptown) then he should be out shaking hands and kissing babies to swing the popular opinion his way to put the pressure on the politicos who oppose the project, the financing, whatever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 07:13 am:

ekriens,

Unfortunately Jerry Brown was smart enough to send false smoke signals that he was favorable to a ballpark in Oakland. He even appeared in some public places making some very nice remarks in favor of the ballpark. He allowed and even encouraged his City Manager to put a staff in charge of the economic development of Oakland to work on this project. The city hired consultants to study and find a viable location for the ballpark.

But after his election he showed his true colors.
Jerry Brown has no intentions of getting a baseball ballpark for Oakland.
After his election, when though he would make his support public, he finally showed his true colors declaring himself against the process.
And without Jerry Brown, it will be very difficult to make this process move forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:46 am:

Brown was just re-elected this year, so the next election is in 2006. Too late for the ballpark issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:47 am:

Not to mention the fact that the majority of posters on this board don't live in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

I'll bring it up next time there's a Dixon City Council election and see what kind of support I can generate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:26 am:

The past mayoral election had two major candidates and neither one supported the idea of building the A's a new park downtown.

Even though I can't stand Willie Brown because he's a Frisco homer, at least he cares about his city's sports teams. He supported both drives to build the Giants and Niners a new venue to play in. Can't say the same thing with the A's and our mayor Brown. I swear the government's relationnship with their sports teams in this city has to be the worst in the country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 08:57 pm:

Willie Brown is all talk. PLLLLLLLLLLease!!!!!.98% of the cost of Pac Bell was paid by the Giants owners. Nothing has been done for the 49ers since Candlestick was renovated 30 yearsago. Willie Brown may have supported the Niners efforts to build the stadium/ shopping complex,but the Niners were only asking that the city guarantee 100 million of the debt on the 550 million project, i.e., no actual outlay of money unless they couldn't pay the debt. BIG DEAL. That's less than 20% of the project. Oakland and Alameda County do not have as bad politicians as they do owners. They spent 150 million to renovate the Arena and now Cohan won't pay all of his rent. Not their fault. They paid Al Davis $70 million in cash and perks to move back and spent 130 million to renovate the Coliseum. The Raiders contributed zero . Compare that to what the Niners were willing to do. The A's pay no rent and get all the concession money and almost all the parking and advertising money. Even if they pay 500K rent it is still the best deal in MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 01:56 am:

What you said is true, but I still would want a mayor who at least shows he cares about his city's sport's team and knows how important they are to the city's residents. Jerry Brown doesn't give a damn about the sports teams here in Oakland. Sports have played a major role in this city's history and it helped create a workmanlike image with how many of the past teams here have played. They've won seven world titles here combined and the residents embraces them. Oakland isn't flashy and the media doesn't drool over them like they do with San Francisco. If you talk with most Oaklanders, they're happy with the blue collar image that the city is known for and they would also tell you that they love their sports teams.

When's the last time you saw Jerry Brown attend a sporting event in Oakland? I don't think he even went to any of the A's or Raiders playoff games the past few years. One reason why I didn't vote for Brown in the past two elections because he doesn't represent Oakland. Did he ever live in this city before he became mayor here? He doesn't know what's best for this city and it makes me sick that he's the top dog at city hall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:40 am:

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1726%257E741510,00.html

Well, I'm not an Oakland resident, but I think
all Oakland residents should read and take a long
look at what Jerry Brown is trying to do by becoming a stronger and more powerful mayor.

I believe he should at least show a bit more civic pride for the city where he is such a lead top dog... the city he is using as a stepping stone to greater things in his political life.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.